Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom go 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom go 910
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: tom tom go 910 Reply with quote

ive just bought a second hand tom tom go 910,and now when i switch it on i hear the drum noise,then i get a white screen with green background,also i get a red circle with a white cross in it.ive connected the tt to my laptop to try to make a back up of the yellow folders ,but it wont let me copy all the folders,some of the folders have strange symbols on them.does that mean that they are corrupted.PLEASE HELP ME.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

I've moved this to the TomTom forum which is more appropriate for this query and should generate a faster response.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question - has it ever worked since you bought it? If not, can you not just send it straight back for a refund or replacement?

If you are stuck with it for whatever reason, then we will need some more details to be able work out if we can get it going again without spending money on a new map.

The operating software lives in all the files that AREN'T in "yellow folders", they have names like system, data.chk and ttsystem (and several more). Can you see all of those?

Can you list ALL the folder names you do have? (Including the corrupted ones if its possible to give an idea of the strange symbols.

Just about everything can be replaced for free EXCEPT the folder containing you map, if that is missing or corrupted, you'll have to buy a new one if you cannot get your money back from whoever sold it to you.
Unfortunately there is no such thing as a CD with everything on it, so it will be a longish process, involving downloads using TomTom's "Home" utility. Do you have a copy of that, and if so, which version?

If you can answer all of those questions, we can see if we can get started on fixing it.
zz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: 910 Reply with quote

andy thanx for a quick reply.ive never seen the tom tom working because it was second hand and the battery was flat.so when i charged it up,thats when i realised that there was something wrong.im going to connect to my pc again and i will answer the questions you have asked.please be easy on me as i am not very good withg technical stuff.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No chance to just throw it back at the seller?
Easy for me to say with hindsight, but buying it second-hand without seeing it working is pretty risky!
zz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: names of yellow folders Reply with quote

audiobooks, bin, demo,ephem, itn, licences,mp3, loquen~1,A.. ,photos, schemes, tom tom- Cfg, zip, voices, rasta, toft( d, óis·òs÷½.▌¡3, Ñ23@╞¬dH. " , GW┴y ░.$! , ¥°┼/π. o, █fAª3┬≥9.ú$v, ═╓FGONG0.╚1, :╪ñ¢)ÿ«.", ├Anu^`~3, ¥°┼/π. o. i hope this will help abit,how do i no which home edition i have
zz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: risk Reply with quote

yes it was very risky of me,the seller said it worked,because it only had abit of battery life i heard the tom tom drums and thought yes it lights up and turns of,thinking im getting a bargain for £70 i snatched it.little did i no what i would be faced with.now im gutted .ive learnt a valuable lesson.PLEASE HELP ANDY.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, that doesn't look good...
Some of the folder names look fine, but unfortunately the most important ones - your named maps ("Western_Europe", "North_America" or similar) and the text to speech voices ("Loquendo") seem damaged or missing.

Without any of those, it's going to mean money to fix. You could buy a new map (not something you can copy from anyone else...) but getting the TTS voices is a problem (the files are so big, it isn't easy to download them from anywhere).

Unless anyone else has any good ideas, I think a call to TomTom support is your best bet and ask them how much for a complete reload.
Their UK number is:
0845 161 0009
Monday - Friday: 08:00 to 18:30 GMT
(every first Wednesday of the month: 09:00 to 18:30 GMT)
zz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: help with 910 Reply with quote

correct me if im wrong,but if someone else has a tom tom go 910 why carnt i copy the files that or missing or the ones that seem corrupted.
zz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the LOQUEN~1file seems ok because i can go into it.
zz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the folder thats called schemes also seems ok,in there there is sum sort of pictures of the world
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the folder should be named ''LoquendoTTS'' (without the '''') and the system is case sensitive so watch how the folders are named, can you open any of the other folders with the stange names? and did you get a plastic credit card with the device which has a couple of map Product Codes printed on it? as this might be vital to getting this unit working again
One final question where in the UK are you located as someone local to you might be able to assist but without the product card this will be difficult without purchasing a new map for the unit - Mike
zz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: 910 Reply with quote

i didnt get any plastic card,just the tom tom 910 charger,cradle,storage case and original box.the folders which have strange symbols on or empty.im located in sheffield-south yorkshire.there must be someone out there who can help me.andy does that mean that i dont have the maps on my tom tom.sorry to go on but would it be possible for you to tell me exactly which folders i need.i will ring tom tom on monday,but ive got a feeling im not going to get anywhere with them.im willing to buy just the uk maps but only if i no thats all i need.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post up a full list of the folders a new 910 was supplied with when I get home later tonight as I have a full backup of my 910 from the first day I got it, to give you an idea of file size the entire lot is around 8GB file size! so downloading is not really viable (if the files were even available), the LoquendoTTS files alone amount to over 4GB and these cannot be obtained using TomTom Home.
As an alternative to posting up a full folder list if you send me your address via PM or e-mail I will put the required files/ folders on a couple of DVDs and put them in the post (no maps though as this would be againt the forum rules). Use the e-mail or PM buttons at the bottom of my post near the sig block -Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Mike...
It's a big list....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: