Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new member
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gangesboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: new member Reply with quote

hi all, new boy just joined, not so much boy as oldish meldrew type, ha ha, been truck driver 30 years, always used maps, going to take the plunge and buy a sat nav, im from yorkshire so ill be wanting a cheap one, ive been told by my mate whose a manager at halfords that i can buy cheap, and download upgrades of the internet, i run u.k republic of ireland, and some eu countries, can anyone give me any help please
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: new member Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum

gangesboy wrote:
ive been told by my mate whose a manager at halfords that i can buy cheap, and download upgrades of the internet

Hmm thats advice that will lead you down an illegal route of piracy and not something we allow on this board. I hope your "mate" doesn't offer paying customers the same advice in his store......

If you want Western Europe mapping purchase a device with it already installed, this way you know the unit has adequate storage capacity to accept the much larger map file.
If you purchase a TomTom One for example that only covers UK&ROI you cannot install the Europe maps as they are too large to fit on the internal memory and with no external/ removable storage card you cannot upgrade to larger capacity - Mike
gangesboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: new member Reply with quote

thanks for the reply mike, obviously i would not want to do anything illegal, im just trying to save a pound or two werever possible, am i on the right website to obtain info on the location of speed cameras, if anything i ask about causes offence please let me know, then i can stick to what i know best , maps , and asking locals, regards.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind both the Garmin and TomTom product ranges as both these companies have offered periodic map updates and software updates. I wouldn't recommend anything else due to the inability to update the maps leaving you with a lump of junk after about 18 months due to the maps being out of date.

TomTom offer probably the most comprehensive update service with new maps every 90 days(ish) and a map subscription package where your single payment covers 12 months worth of maps at a price much lower than the outright purchase price of the same map! Garmin do something similar but the maps don't get released as frequently. The remainder of this post details the TomTom options.

If you need a couple of European country maps in addition to the UK&ROI the cheaper option is to purchase a device with these installed from day one. In the case of a TomTom the map installed will be called either Western_Europe OR Western_And_Central_Europe.

For free updates you can download the application software updates from TomTom for free, you can also download MapShare data for your device for free from TomTom.
You also get a free Latest Map Guarantee, which you can only use within the first 30 days since purchase and only use it once to actually download a map, this makes sure you have the most up to date map when you purchased the device.

TomTom supply their devices with their Safety Camera database installed, you can subscribe to that should you want to, but for greater accuracy consider the PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database, not only does it offer higher accuracy and greater options you get the chance to get a free lifetime membership by being the first person to submit a change (actual terms of this are available on this site) in either case you need to purchase a subscription for the camera database as the area for downloads is within the Subscribed members only area of the forum - Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: new member Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you purchase a TomTom One for example that only covers UK&ROI you cannot install the Europe maps as they are too large to fit on the internal memory and with no external/ removable storage card you cannot upgrade to larger capacity - Mike

Just to clarify this, the ONE v4 UK&ROI (easyport mount) can accept the Western Euro maps as TT now do a version that fits its 1GB internal memory.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: new member Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Just to clarify this, the ONE v4 UK&ROI (easyport mount) can accept the Western Euro maps as TT now do a version that fits its 1GB internal memory.

For now this is correct, just spare a thought for our North American users, the recent smaller map for their rather large land mass won't fit on the device!
There is no 100% way to ensure TomTom would provide an update path to a device purchased as regional when loaded with larger coverage maps - In North America even devices intended to carry a certain map now cannot due to the new maps larger size - I bet they wish the units had memory card slots as it would be far cheaper to send out blank SD cards than sort this mess out - Mike
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mio device would be good, like the Moov 330, initially released in 2008 and has the 2007.com EU maps but with the Mio New! The Total Refresh Guarantee, you can register and get the 2009 maps for free.
More inof is here http://eu.mio.com/en_gb/map-updates.htm

it looks like you can buy 2 years of map and camera updates in 1 go aswell,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: