Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Nuvi?!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Nuvi?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pearcy93
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Which Nuvi?! Reply with quote

I am just trying to figure out which Sat Nav unit to buy as my 1st unit.

I 'was' looking for a 1 box solution, but...

-It does seem that you either have to get a 'camera detector biased' unit like the Pogo/Snooper, OR a Navigation biased unit like the Tom Tom/Garmin.

From what I've since read on here it seems like the best option would be to get a Garmin/Tom Tom with euro maps & then get the PWG maps for £19 per year.

The £50 per year updates to Pogo drive are a bit steep imo considering the upfront cost of the unit.

Struggling at the moment, as what I want is:

-A reliable unit (Garmin seems better from the user reviews)
-Euro mapping
-Multi waypoints
-Wide screen
-Would prefer text to speech (but don't want bluetooth & MP3 etc. as I won't use them, & you only seem to get text to speach with the expensive units that come with everything else!)
-Traffic 'may' be useful

I may have to compromise on the text to speech (+Traffic) & get something like a Garmin Nuvi 250W Europe... they seem cheap for what you get.

Although having said that the Nuvi 350T isn't that much more expensive & has traffic (free updates for life) BUT is an old model/not widescreen.

Do I really have to fork out the extra to get something like a Nuvi 760T when I don't need the MP3/bluetooth etc?!

Is the cheapest text to speech Nuvi the 350? - what is the cheapest widescreen Garmin with text to speech?

So confused! - Having read quite a few user reviews, the only thing I think I've found is that I think I'd prefer Garmin as the Garmin units are a little bit more reliable than the Tom Tom's (+if the unit inc traffic, updates are free for life on Garmin).

Help!!!
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have a look at the garmin 660 you can pick one for around £200 now !

They have been out for a year now so prices may drop a bit more .
I think the map updates would cost around the £ 50 mark with Garmin but as I have a Tomtom I am not sure.

I think this sat nav would have most of what you want !!
Also you could pick up a Garmin 760 up for just under £250 which has been out just a few months
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the Garmin 760 has been worth every penny for me because it ticked all the boxes for what I wanted & has no flip up antenna to get in the way.

I love the maps

Touch screen menu

Speed of sat fix

etc

But the handsfree via my Sony phone sounds terrible so this is the only down side but hang on & the price will fall as it is already.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: