Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 520T question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 520T question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C3Man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Tomtom 520T question Reply with quote

Hello - new to SatNav and this forum so patience may be required!

I would like to purchase a TT520T, but my car will require the use of an extra antenna due to its windscreen. So 2 questions 1) can I plug in both the external antenna and the RDS-TMC gizmo 2) if yes then is there an active mount that supports both connections?

Thanks in advance, I did a quick search of the forum before posting but could not find the answer.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom 520T question Reply with quote

C3Man wrote:
Hello - new to SatNav and this forum so patience may be required!

I would like to purchase a TT520T, but my car will require the use of an extra antenna due to its windscreen. So 2 questions 1) can I plug in both the external antenna and the RDS-TMC gizmo 2) if yes then is there an active mount that supports both connections?

Thanks in advance, I did a quick search of the forum before posting but could not find the answer.
Don’t think I would bother with the T just get a 520, the T bit is not worth having IMHO. But if you did, it is unlikely to need an external ant even with a heated windscreen as the SiRF chipset is very good. The external ant plugs into a different plug near the top of the 520 and the TMC is at the bottom and there is no active mount that I know of that will cope with both the ext ant and TMC but Brodit do a power and TMC one.
So get a 520 with no T and you won’t need any of the other stuff anyway!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Wishlist says, it would be very unlikely that your car necessitated the use of an external antenna. Modern GPS receivers have longs since overcome this issue.

As for RDS, they use separate connectors on the 520, there are 'active' mounts that will allow the connection of power and RDS antenna, see our Brodit and Carcomm cradle reviews but neither have provision of an external antenna and as I have said, I doubt very much that one will be needed.

As for the usefulness of TMC, it's not great at the moment but still worth getting in my opinion as it will hopefully improve. The 'T' versions with the bundled TMC antenna offer the most cost effective way of doing so.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
As Wishlist says, it would be very unlikely that your car necessitated the use of an external antenna. Modern GPS receivers have longs since overcome this issue.

As for RDS, they use separate connectors on the 520, there are 'active' mounts that will allow the connection of power and RDS antenna, see our Brodit and Carcomm cradle reviews but neither have provision of an external antenna and as I have said, I doubt very much that one will be needed.

As for the usefulness of TMC, it's not great at the moment but still worth getting in my opinion as it will hopefully improve. The 'T' versions with the bundled TMC antenna offer the most cost effective way of doing so.
Darren, don't set me off about TMC again! see this thread http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?k=104211 on the other side if you missed it!
C3Man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your prompt help, guess I'll buy one and try it without the extra antenna to see how it copes. Given your comments about TDC does the TomTom Traffic service listed under their Plus options work any better?
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C3Man wrote:
Thank you for your prompt help, guess I'll buy one and try it without the extra antenna to see how it copes. Given your comments about TDC does the TomTom Traffic service listed under their Plus options work any better?
Same duff info but you have to pay for it! Your choice. You can always add it on later when they have sorted it all out or wait for HD traffic which they say will be what TMC should have been....time will tell if they speak the truth..or not as the case may be!
C3Man
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 Euros a month, I think I'll take my chances with TDC
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C3Man wrote:
10 Euros a month, I think I'll take my chances with TDC
T M C you mean. Then you have the other small matter of picking up a signal in the first place but that depends how far you drive and where you live. Ho hum. I am sure they will fix it one day. To get a signal everywhere I had to modify the ant and connect it to an external ant...but thats another story! ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Edit: Ohhhhh My 100th post!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do get the RDS-TMC unit the chances are it simply won't work when fitted in a car with athermic glass, this glass will knock out FM reception quite effectively - reception in the UK is poor in some areas, with your windscreen it will be even more problematic - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: