Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One ver3 - Regrets.......I have a few.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One ver3 - Regrets.......I have a few.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tr3472
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: TomTom One ver3 - Regrets.......I have a few. Reply with quote

Well, I am starting to wish I got the nuvi now.

Thanks to the guys on these forums I changed the menus on the unit to a much better layout. I only got it today from Amazon but god am I regretting. I am comparing it the excellent i3.

First. My street is named all wrong. The road running through my street is called High Lane but I live at Rock Crescent...so according to this stupid thing I live at 9 High Lane. I thought OK I live on the outskirts of the village I will test it out to go to my mam's. When I went to enter her address it was the same kinda problem. Everything has to be done with postcodes...WTF, and then everything has the wrong name. How can this be fixed; if at all. My old i3 has no problems with this.

Second. POIs, what a load of rubbish. My nearest swimming pool is almost 83 miles away according to this. There is one 2 miles from my door and another 3 within 10 miles. The other categories are just as bad. You HAVE to add your own pois to make it worthwhile....the most useful being the fish and chip shop one. Can you get into the file structure and get rid of the default pois so I have the list I want and that work?

If I could go back I would defo get the nuvi. not happy so please make me so.

Thanks in advance.[/b]
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing, have you got a backup? If not then get one now using Windows Explorer rather than home.

If your street name is wrong you can correct it using mapshare. If you have created a custom menu you will need to temporarily remove it in order to be able to access mapshare.

You can navigate to addresses without using postcodes: Navigate to..., Address, Street and house number. I don't understand why "eveything has the wrong name" maybe you have been unlucky with the places that you have tried so far. If there are many, post some examples for others to try out on their machines.

Tomtom's POI's are rather poor. If you want to get rid of the built in ones you can delete or rename the file called 'poi.dat' which you will find in the map folder on your tomtom.

Also Welcome to the forum.
tr3472
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I have just realised i clicked on the wrong group to put this in so I will post to the correct one after I write this.

I read all the excellent advise while I waited for the delivery of the tomtom so the first thing I did was a backup. I have renamed the poi.dat file and it worked a treat.

The street name thing. I renamed my street the problem is one side is Cresent and the other side of the road is Terrace. Again Garmin has no problems with this. There is a street called Sandwick Terrace, Wheatley Hill, Durham DH6 3LN, yet its named as the road - Wingate Road. Its not a one off, it seems to be a hell of a lot of the villages round me have this problem. Garmin has the correct names for these surely TomTom have?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to correct forum.

Quote:
Its not a one off, it seems to be a hell of a lot of the villages round me have this problem. Garmin has the correct names for these surely TomTom have?

TT and Garmin use different map data and both will have their inaccuracies.
tr3472
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAVTEQ (Garmin) seems to a lot better than Tele Atlas (TomTom) when it comes to the naming of streets. I was just hoping that I had missed an option.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said above BOTH Navteq and TeleAtlas have errors. If one was far better than the other, there would only BE one of them by now, if you see what I mean.

Not sure what you mean when you say "There is a street called Sandwick Terrace, Wheatley Hill, Durham DH6 3LN, yet its named as the road - Wingate Road." Are you saying that SOME houses on a street called Wingate Road are called Sandwick Terrace?

As for swimming pools, I'm afraid that's an unfortunate example to choose. It was the first category I tried adding to on the POIs on this site and they've still only got 48 in their version.
Don't forget you can also do your bit for the community and add them via Mapshare too
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not happy - If you purchased from Amazon, can't you return it?
tr3472
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't return it because it has been opened. It has to be unused and unopened.

To explain the address problem. Sandwick Terrace along with a few other streets sit on Wingate Lane yet they are all named as Wingate Lane. When you use the postcode with house number you can navigate to them put they are always titled as 2 Wingate Lane. According to this though there could be 5 houses with addresses as 5 Wingate Lane. Its the same with all the streets on Cemetery Road in the same village. There are loads of streets up and down it.

I understand that there are two different mapping companies and all, but at the end of the day TT appear to have picked a duffer in comparison. I am not saying that my i3 has not sent me on a odd route now and then but at least I could trust the map. This thing can't even get the names right. I was just hoping that there was a fix.

I am making changes in mapshare. Thanks to this site I have rid myself of TomTom's frankly pathetic attempt at POI's and used them off here. Which works even better because now it caches the last 5 POI categories used. The road name problem is impossible to change though because a mile stretch of road can only have one name when in reality it has around 8 streets on it that are not named.

I will have to put up and shut up I guess and know for next time.
LesMiserable
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried MapShare for renaming the streets ?
GPS v1.21 Boot 5.5022
TT Home v 2.7.6.2056
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

email or phone amazon and explain your opinion. bsaically tell them that you don't feel it is fit for purpose.

a mate of mine got a sony mp3 player and decided after a week or so he really didn't like it and they refunded no problem - that was amazon too.

it's not like you just changed your mind - the item you bought does not, in your opinion, do what it says on the tin

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesMiserable wrote:
Have you tried MapShare for renaming the streets ?

Yeah, he just said: "The road name problem is impossible to change though because a mile stretch of road can only have one name when in reality it has around 8 streets on it that are not named."

No immediate help to you tr3472, but that sort of problem could be reported in the "other errors" section of Map Share for later map releases..
tr3472
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt i will give it a go.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: