Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OLD and NEW
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OLD and NEW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ned1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: OLD and NEW Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a ttgo 300 which I think is the best thing I have been given for a present and now the wife is getting a car I would like to get one for her, but I believe they have been replaced with :-
tomtom one cracker, @£149
tomtom 1 T regional, @£179
tomtom 1 regional, @£149
Could someone tell what the differences are and which is best for the UK only.
Thanks
Ned Exclamation
ps are they all the same files ( OV2) for the speed camera up-dates.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cracker and the one are the same, you just get a £10 voucher in the cracker, better than a poke in the eye with a rustie stick. The "T" is for traffic anouncments, it will re-route you if there is a jam up ahead, but you have to subscribe to it, I think. Have a look on their site, the 3 at the bottom. All 3 are UK models. All TomToms use the OV2 camera files.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=0&Language=1
ned1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that tanda,
That's what I wanted to know.
Thanks again
Ned Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T denotes the device is supplied with an RDS-TMC receiver, the newer version ending with a part number of .013 on the RDS receiver works considerably better than the earlier versions in the UK. This system is a pay once for the devce and get free traffic information for life with the device it is not subscription based.

The alternate to RDS traffic information is GPRS based, this is subscription based but is not suplied with the device as physical hardware, it is payed for per year and also costs for using your mobile phones data connection via a Bluetooth link to tbhe phone - Mike
ned1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The T denotes the device is supplied with an RDS-TMC receiver, the newer version ending with a part number of .013 on the RDS receiver works considerably better than the earlier versions in the UK. This system is a pay once for the devce and get free traffic information for life with the device it is not subscription based.

Hi Mike,
The RDS traffic information, is that the same as a RDS on a car Radio which tells of jams or is it something different !!
Thanks
Ned Shocked
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RDS traffic is similar to the traffic announcements, but uses extra data transmitted to the device so it can recalculate the route. My satnav says things like "Slow traffic ahead, do you wish to divert?".

I've just started using a satnav with the RDS-TMC. Not sure if it's that good yet. It senses the jams on the main roads, but twice recently the alternative offered has sent me onto the side roads which were also gridlocked. Could be that it has data of traffic speeds on main roads but assumes that the roads that it has no data for are clear.

If you are avoiding an accident, then it's probably OK. But avoiding heavy traffic? Not so sure it's worth it.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: OLD and NEW Reply with quote

ned1 wrote:
tomtom one cracker, @£149
TT One GB V3 Cracker @99.99 (+VAT) in Makro Mail (Birmingham, Glasgow & Rayleigh stores only).

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
Could be that it has data of traffic speeds on main roads but assumes that the roads that it has no data for are clear.

If you are avoiding an accident, then it's probably OK. But avoiding heavy traffic? Not so sure it's worth it.

That will be it. The data is gathered by your sat-nav via the RDS-TMC channel (broadcast along side classic fm) but it is gathered using those camera looking things on blue poles next to trunk roads and motorways.

Typically, smaller roads dont have them and the system will navigate you to a side road assuming it will be clear.

Steve
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue cameras you mentioned are part of the Traffic Master service which is the main competion relative to iTIS Holdings who supply the TomTom traffic related information.

TomTom only use iTIS data irrespective of method of delivery (RDS or GPRS), iTIS use a number of methods to work out traffic flow and restrictions to flow; one such technique is called "Floating Vehicle Data" see Here for more information, this process involves a large number of vehicles equipped with transponders that report back speed and position data, from this delays on the road network can be worked out.

It is true that the majority of radio stations supplying iTIS based information are those using the Classic FM network, but there are others and quite a few additional ones will be carrying the service over the next few months - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: