Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I hardwire the TomTom bluetooth GPS without the cradle?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I hardwire the TomTom bluetooth GPS without the cradle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveGill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Can I hardwire the TomTom bluetooth GPS without the cradle? Reply with quote

Probably a stupid question, but I don't want to break the unit Embarassed

After experimenting for the best position on my e46 bmw 3 series, I have installed the magnetic sticky baseplate on top of the rear view mirror. The signal strength here is excellent (I have the climate comfort screen which destroys the signal - there is a gap in the screen around the rear view mirror).

The cradle won't fit here though. I'd like to hardwire the power supply - am I safe cutting the cigarette adaptor lead and hard wiring that? I was surprised that the official hardwire lead is a different connector which only supplies the cradle.

Any advice appreciated. I attach some pics of the install (which I can recommend for any other 3 series drivers)

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can do that. The TT BT GPS accepts 5v and the conversion from 12v is carried out inside the cigarette lighter plug. If you hard wire the lead you'll be passing 12v to the GPS and will fry it.

If you use the cradle and the hard wire lead then the conversion takes place inside the cradle. To do what you want to do without the cradle the only way would be to connect a cigarette lighter extension lead to the existing cable and then hard wire that into your vehicle.
SteveGill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply Darren! I'm glad I checked before carrying on. I'll let you know how I get on. Smile
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to think about getting a re-radiating antenna (cost about 50ukp) which you easily can fix (by magnet) to the roof of your car and keep the TomTom unit anywhere you like inside the car.

I did this after weeks of struggling to get satisfactory sattelite fix and I have to say it works brilliantly now. Almost 100% of the time I have a fix within seconds of switching the unit on.

Richard
SteveGill
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now fitted the cradle to the same location, and the reception is spot on. Cables are neatly tidied away as well, hardwired to the fusebox. I'll try and post a pic of the new setup in daylight when I can.

However I can recommend this location to any bmw drivers with the climate comfort windscreen.

I've even got the origin b2 gps aerial sitting at the other side of the rear view mirror - and it's finding a signal very quickly as well. Very happy I am! :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: