Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Largest sd card for i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Largest sd card for i3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Largest sd card for i3 Reply with quote

Whats the biggest SD card that will work in my i3?

TIA

Rob.
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1GB I believe is the maximum recommended by Garmin. However, for what it's worth, I found with this size card that 'recalculating' after a deviation from the calculated route took noticeably longer. For this reason I decided to use as small a card as possible that still took the country I was in.
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mhb

Are you sure that it's the size of the card that cause the longer recalculation time? These cards come with very different specs in term of access speed, both read and write. As this is a read issue, it might be worth checking the speed of your 1GB card against the smaller ones you've got.

BeatO
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that could well have been a factor. I tend to purchase cards as cheaply as possible when I need them as I find that using the smallest cards that are adequate for purpose causes little inconvenience and so this is the most cost effective for me.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

Have got a 2Gb Kingston microSD card in the i3 with the entire 2008 update on and everything works fine. Very Happy

Re-routing is not noticeably slower, admittedly it does take quite a while to plan an inital route across countries but that's only to be expected. Wink
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
UPDATE

Have got a 2Gb Kingston microSD card in the i3 with the entire 2008 update on and everything works fine. Very Happy

Re-routing is not noticeably slower, admittedly it does take quite a while to plan an inital route across countries but that's only to be expected. Wink

Why is it only to be expected?

Surely any slowdown may well be down to the speed of the card, as opposed to the amount of map data?
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Surely you don't expect it to take the same amount of time to work out a route from an address in London to one in Brixton, as from London to Germany?

Card speed could be a factor but I think the speed of the card will be a drop in the ocean compared to the difference in the amount of processing required (and hence time) to route long distance trips.

If card speed was a significant factor then re-routing would also be slower, which it isn't.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbooth wrote:
Quote:

Surely you don't expect it to take the same amount of time to work out a route from an address in London to one in Brixton, as from London to Germany?

Card speed could be a factor but I think the speed of the card will be a drop in the ocean compared to the difference in the amount of processing required (and hence time) to route long distance trips.

If card speed was a significant factor then re-routing would also be slower, which it isn't.

Sorry, my mistake - I misread what you wrote - I thought you'd written that rerouting was slower.
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs. Very Happy
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on Garmins website

Quote:
Question: I want to put all of the North American maps on my StreetPilot i2 or i3, what is the largest micro SD card I can use?

Answer:
The StreetPilot® i-series units will support up to a 2GB (gigabyte) micro SD (Secure Digital) card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: