Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgraded to WM5, & Now No GPS on hx4700
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgraded to WM5, & Now No GPS on hx4700

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Upgraded to WM5, & Now No GPS on hx4700 Reply with quote

Yesterday I upgraded my 4700 to WM5 2.01. Everything had been working on WM2003SE before.

In bluetooth manager I have set up the iBlue 737 and connected with it, although no bytes are exchanged between the iPaq and pod so it automatically disconnects after a few minutes and I have to reconnect. I've tried this with pairing and without, and with passkey and without, (never encryption) and behavior is the same.

I start TomTom5 and set up Other Bluetooth Device to Com8, but it never sees the pod.

There's an applet in Settings called GPS, which appears to do the same thing as GPSGate. I set Hardware to Com8 and 115200 (baud of the pod, according to mfgr), I set Programs to Com9, and Access to Auto. Then aim TomTom at Com9, but still no comm. No bytes exchanged with the pod. I've tried all other baudrates too.

The only thing I've changed is the OS. Why doesn't this work in WM5?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only thing I've changed is the OS. Why doesn't this work in WM5?

Only that then Wink

There are major internal differences between WM2003SE and WM5 but the general principles should be the same.

Try deleting any pairings that you have then re-pairing your BT GPS.

Create the Incoming COM port for use by your BT GPS. This will probably be either COM7 or COM8 with WM5.

Forget using any of the GPS management s/w (either the WM5 one or GPSGate) at least until you have got everything working again. (I haven't found a real use for this facility and I run upto 4 GPS apps - but never find the need to run them at the same time).

I assume you have re-installed your application from scratch and not just recovered everything from a backup. Restoring a backup up done on WM2003SE onto a WM5 system will screw it up - registry entries get inappropriatley changed.

Now start your nav app, connect to your COM port assigned earlier and see what happens.

When it's working - backup your system!

Phil
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, the iBlue website says if there's trouble, delete the device in BT manager, soft-reset, and re-create. I've tried this by requiring pairing and then pairing and connecting, and by not requiring pairing, searching for the pod and connecting. Nothing works.

So when you say don't use the WM5 GPS applet, I guess you mean set hardware and Applications in it to None? OK, hopefully that disables that layer. I'll try that and redo everything else again.
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it turns out that I hadn't installed the 5.21 update.

Now that that's in, it works, thank God.

But sync with Activestync doesn't work at all. It iPaq sees the PeeCee, but the PeeCee doesn't see the iPaq. Not the right place to ask here, but no one's alive in the PPC forum.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a firewall running on the PC - try connecting with it turned off - Mike
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I haven't exactly given all the facts.

This server is running Debian. I boot Win2000 in a VMware virtual machine on another desktop. I use Activesync in the Win2000 guest OS. To Win2000, the virtual machine presents virtual hardware, including USB, except it appears to be coming through a hub. Only thing I couldn't do was OS upgrades, as they must not be done through any hub, pseudo or otherwise.

Before anyone freaks out, this all worked just fine with WM2003. Only things I changed were WM2003 to WM5 and AS4.1 to 4.2. Win2000 has SP4.

When I start from scratch, I plug in the 4700 and Win recognized the PPC appeared. It asks to install the RNDIS driver, and I authorize it. It finds the driver and seems to install it just fine. I see a new Windows Mobile interface in the Device Manager under Network Interfaces.

But Activesync never budges. Activesync in the 4700 knows something's up, and says Connecting, but there's never a response in Win2000.

The USB connection does not present a Linux network interface, and so is not subject to the firewall, and no firewall in the Winduhs virtual machine as that's not trusted and is protected by Linux.

I have run out of ideas, as I am a Linux type and know little about Winduhs. So I am now compiling the (beta) Linux NDIS modules, so maybe I can connect to the 4700 directly from Linux. (although it is all beta)

How can Activesync be so busted? Is this due to WM5? Should I backrev to AS 3.8?
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I boot Win2000 in a VMware virtual machine on another desktop in the same server)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I am not surprised it is not working, but I have little knowledge of Linux etc, running programs intended for MS desktops is always going to have problems on other (non-approved) platforms, combine this with WM2005 on a 4700 etc...... - I gave up quite a while ago with WM2005 on my 4700, if the device was intended to run the OS it would have been designed and shipped with it loaded.
Have you access via work or other mates etc to a Windows based PC? - see if it wil connect via this method, if it does you will know the problem is your set-up, rather than possible problems on the PDA or emulator/ host software running on the Linux box - Mike
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One machine dual-boots to Win2000, but only temporarily for the WM5 upgrade.

Ya, AS4.2 will sync there, but when I Explore it says "no /SERVICES directory". This means I don't have IE6, but this OS is not trusted to touch the internet, so no upgrades for it.

I've just been told in the WM forum that another user had the same problem with AS connecting that I'm having on the virtual machine. So he installed AS4.5beta, and it then worked. But this again implies IE6, which I don't trust in the first place, so I may well downrev to say, AS3.8, if my Linux drivers don't work.

Two full days lost, fighting Winduhs. I feel sorry for you guys.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WM2005 and AS 3,8 - I don't think that will work
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
WM2005 and AS 3,8 - I don't think that will work

Mike is right. WM5 will only work with AS4 and above.

MS AS4.x is not designed to work on Linux in Windows mode and I am guessing that MS may now be starting to write code that will not work with Linux. I cannot prove this, but having seen Vista has 50 million lines of code, how can any emulation program even get near trying to something it is not. This will also be a deciding factor.
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so no 3.8.

I have every confidence in VMware. They have done an excellent job for the 6 years I've used it to run Winduhs over Linux.

Besides, I have not run XP once, and I hope to boast of the same for Longhorn. Win2000 for as long as I can wring life out of it. Hate to give M$ a plug-nickel, plus I like all my apps for free!

Well, I've now got comm going between my 4700 and Linux. I can list files and copy, which is more than I could do with Winduhs. But my sync app is failing,and I don't understand why. Like to see the ugly?
Code:
# ./sync-engine
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./sync-engine", line 42, in ?
    session_bus = dbus.SessionBus()
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/_dbus.py", line 266, in __new__
    return Bus.__new__(cls, Bus.TYPE_SESSION, use_default_mainloop, private)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/_dbus.py", line 99, in __new__
    bus._connection = dbus_bindings.bus_get(bus_type, private)
  File "dbus_bindings.pyx", line 1692, in dbus_bindings.bus_get
dbus_bindings.DBusException: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-fVr77uTajY: Connection refused
#

Eyuck. Too tired to figure it out for now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: