Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin or TomTom 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin or TomTom 910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Garmin or TomTom 910 Reply with quote

OK I've got a TomTom 500 but I want to upgrade the following are faetures I want at the lowest price:

All Features that i've got know on the 500, Blootooth Handsfree etc.

Text to speech I think they call it where the road name is read out when directing you.

Traffic Anouncments at the chaepest cost to me.

THe best up to date maps thta can be upgraded regular and at a reasonable cost

Fully Compatable with the pocket gps speed cams etc.

OK I know within reason about the TOMTOM Software and I just ned one thing cleared up:

HOw does the TOMTOm handle traffic anouncments, I thought it worked bu usinmg your Mobiles wireless connection to get a connection with there server nad downloading updates but as I say I'm not sure: But I was told the use of it was expensive.

How does the garmin handle this and at what cost.

What's the difference between 360 and 360T is it traffic or something

Are the Garmins GPS receiver as up to date as the tomtoms.

Whts the best price you have seen them for I beleive I saw 910 for 335 somewhere with dicounts.

Thankyou for your info.

OH could I have a list of garmin hardware i.e nuvi models on a lowest to top of the range view with which ones come with traffic and TTS.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian, If you want Text To Speech there is only the TomTom Go-910 that is equipped. For TMC reception you can use the GPRS connection via Bluetooth on your phone, as you mention this can become expensive.

To give you an idea I used it for 5 hr 30 min last Wed with updates set for every ten mins, total data traffic 400KB so its not too bad. Check you have integral MB of GPRS available in your contract first though! Before purchase I would also recommend you check your mobile phone for compatibility with the TomTom products or you could end up with additional costs getting a phone to work with the device.

Another option available to you with the Go-x10 range is the RDS TMC receiver, but the signal strength within the UK is very low - it all depends where you live, southern counties are quite well covered in comparison to the northern half of the country from what I have experienced.

The Garmin products with Text To Speech (TTS) offer:
350 (No TMC - but can be retro fitted)
360 (No TMC - but can be retro fitted)
360T (External TMC receiver supplied)
660 (TMC Receiver supplied)

Garmin offer a range of TMC receivers, the GTM-10 is intended to couple to an external aerial, so in theory should get the best reception when combined with a decent feed. The other models in their range employ a "shoe string" style aerial which is attached to the windscreen. Again the TMC transmissions are plagued by poor transmitter strength so your location will affect how successful you find reception.

Below where I refer to “Both” I am meaning a TomTom vs Garmin situation:

Both units have upto date maps, which can be upgraded later at a cost, the cost to upgrade will be about the same for either product I would think.

Both units use upto date GPS receivers with decent sensitivity, if you have the Athermic glass windscreen and find you need an external aerial for the GPS both devices will accept connection.

Both devices are compatible with the PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera database - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: