Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Venture Cx Track Log Issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Venture Cx Track Log Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forge197
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Garmin Venture Cx Track Log Issue Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a new Venture CX I use the tracklog function when I download the tracks to my PC or view them via the Garmin I find that they all either start end or at some point go via Tapei I live in the uk and that means a round trip of 7000 miles now I know I didn't cycle that as I could still walk :D

Any ideas on why this is happening I cant see anything stored markers waypoints etc so not sure what is wrong.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

Have you tried clearing the Tracklog memory ??

Dave
forge197
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can try that tomorrow as I am doing a local ride and see what happens it was clear before I began but I will try anything right now 8-)

Thanks for the welcome,
forge197
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted all track's and also I had ensured there were no Tapei markers and waypoints.

Todays cycle showed a true 16miles which was great so 1st impression looks good. I need to do a few more tracks first before I am 100% happy with my purchase but so far so good.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if your gpsr has some of the same features as as mine but check to see if you have a trip/max speed/ave speed screen which is handy .

Dave
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just checked the specs and it does have a trip screen Smile ..
The best way I have found to use the save track feature is to start with a cleared unit ...then make sure the track logging is turned on ..then complete a track..then give it a name and save it to one of the 20 available places...Then clear the tracklog memory and turn off track logging (this ensures that that the active log memory is empty for the start of the next trip and its contents are not added to the next trip ..when I have several saved tracks I then transfer them into Mapsource to save them on the Pc and delete them from the gpsr( you can transfer them back at a later time if needed)..To avoid seeing all the saved track at the same time ..On the Pc just select the name of the track and select to view it on the map ...and to view on the gpsr make sure only the "show on map"box is ticked for the one track you wish to display .

Dave
forge197
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the track logs again since my first successful attempt. Although it saves the log, if you don't clear the tracklog memory then the mileage of the next track is incremental which I thought was odd. But it does appear to be working now.

It can't though from what I see save to the Mini-SD I am not 100% sure what purpose the Mini-SD has maybe someone can enlighten me as to it's purpose.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Venture Cx Track Log Issue Reply with quote

forge197 wrote:
Hi,

I have a new Venture CX I use the tracklog function when I download the tracks to my PC or view them via the Garmin I find that they all either start end or at some point go via Tapei I live in the uk and that means a round trip of 7000 miles now I know I didn't cycle that as I could still walk :D

Any ideas on why this is happening I cant see anything stored markers waypoints etc so not sure what is wrong.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Just to complete the answers here. It is happening because the unit was initialised in GARMINs manufacturing plant in China/Taiwan. My brand new GPS60 did the same and my GPSII+ when I bought it several years ago had GARMIN USA as the initial location. So as soon as you turn it on and get a fix it thinks you have moved from it's place of manufacture to you present location. As mentioned clearing the track log fixes this. Also my GPS 60 had three worldwide locations in the waypoint list! They had to go also.
forge197
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked fine once I'd cleared everything, also it stopped loggin speed details now I have deleted all the tracklogs in it this has now been rectified also, I guess it runs out memory pretty easily. But now I am understanding it better I am getting more out of it. In the first few weeks it was frustrating but this forum, the manual and keeping going have paid dividends.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some options you may want to look at changing...

The tracklog can be configured to add a reading every "x" secs or every "y" distance. Check what your settings are. Also with the unit you have you can record the tracklog to mini SD card I believe.

If you are walking you may only want a log every 30 secs whilst you would want more often for car journeys.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
The best way I have found to use the save track feature is to start with a cleared unit ...then make sure the track logging is turned on ..then complete a track..then give it a name and save it to one of the 20 available places...Then clear the tracklog memory and turn off track logging (this ensures that that the active log memory is empty for the start of the next trip and its contents are not added to the next trip

That sounds a bit convoluted. My Quest creates a new tracklog whenever I switch it off and on again. When I upload the tracks to Mapsource, it comes up with a list of tracks and the date/time they were recorded.

Do other Garmins just record a single tracklog?
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they record the same way as the Quest but they also can save them as per my previous post.This is useful when you are out for the day/holiday and need to record muliple tracks without filling the memory and having each track info being added to the previous ones as you can reset the meters .It also means the screen is less cluttered if as we did earlier this year on holiday ,set off walking from the same base each day and not having a dozen or so different coloured tracks on it.I am a little hacked off that I can't take itt to Cuba next month for fear of getting it confiscated..

Dave
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
No, they record the same way as the Quest

Ahh, OK. I don't bother saving the tracklogs because it used to lose certain information (the height?) on my old GPS-V. I don't know if the Quest does this or not..

Quote:
I am a little hacked off that I can't take itt to Cuba next month for fear of getting it confiscated..

I didn't have a GPS when I went to Cuba, but I doubt that most Cubans would know what a it was anyway. I took mine to Russia last year with no problems. Be discrete about it and you should be fine is my motto. Failing that, offer the Police a $10 bribe and they will probably give it back to you. The corruption in some of these countries is unreal.

Don't use it anywhere near military installations though - that will get you in trouble.

Also, don't put down that you are a journalist (or anything even vaguely controversial) on your entry visa and you will save yourself a lot of grief.

Have a good trip!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: