Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman ICN530 & T1 si
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman ICN530 & T1 si

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Navman ICN530 & T1 si Reply with quote

I've been using the icn530 and the traffic module for about a week now, i can't praise the combination enough! It has saved me about 5hrs this week alone diverting me around traffic jams, accidents, ect. The icn530 is the most truck friendly unit i've tried to date, and i've tried a few!!! (TomTom500, ViaMichelin, Destinator ND, Garmin i3) Rolling Eyes

I've emailed Navman to see if in a future update they can include the option to avoid a POI group, as i have low bridges on my unit this alone would improve suitability for HGV/PSV drivers, if i can find a good weight limit/width limit POI set then this would make a great improvement for all large vehicles. I'll keep you informed of any reply. Idea
Stanley_Tweedle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! but tell us more.
If there were to be a 12 mile tail back on the M1 how soon would it route you off? Obviously junctions approaching the tail back can quickly become clogged so I'd rather leave the motorway before everyone else?
Does it then try to put you back on the original route of does it tend to abandon that route completely?
How relevant and up to date is the actual traffic reporting?
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It updates any traffic hold ups as soon as it recieves a broadcast, usally every 2 mins but more often in rush hours, the entire length of the hold up is marked on your map as a purple/pink road! it will divert you off as soon as a suitable route is found. E.g on monday it picked up that the M3 was down to 5mph at Winchester Nth junction, I was heading into a drop near that junction, so the unit took me off at eastleigh and up into Winchester, as i came off the M3 the traffic was slowing down just past the exit. The icn530 showed the M3 as a purple/pink road just after the junction! This was the first time it diverted me. Then today it took me off the M1 just before Milton Keynes up to the next Junction and back on. you can see the M1 from this road and i did smile to myself as i passed all the slow traffic, I had no idea this traffic jam was there! i only heard about it on the radio an hour after i had passed the accident!!!!

on the other note I have recieved an email back from Navman saying that my idea has been passed onto there development dept and they would let me know if anything comes of it!! at least it's a reply and within a day! very good Navman. Emailed TomTom 3 months ago still no reply!!! (but no tomtom now ha ha ha :P )
Simon300
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mike - very useful.

I bought my iCN530 about a month ago and have been very pleased with it indeed - I'm at the point where I almost trust it totally and have stopped even worrying about double checking routes in a map book.

To be honest, as an occassional business driver, I wasn't going to bother with the traffic module. However after finding the A303 (one of the South West's main trunk roads) completely closed the other evening I'm now a bit more tempted (although in fairness to the Navman once I went "off-piste" from the diversion it got me back onto a sensible route - it would have saved me time though had I known about the closure before I set off).

A couple of questions:
1) Do you think it shows temporary road closures for road works? E.g. the road above was closed only at night for several evenings last week.

2) How easy is it to remove from the car? E.g. does it clip onto the main unit and then you remove the whole thing (which presumably won't fit in the leather pouch), or does it come out in pieces, or does the traffic module have to stay in the car? Apart from a few minor software annoyances the only thing I don't like about the iCN530 is that I find the cradle fiddly to use (maybe I've not developed the right knack yet!).

I'm just wondering whether I'd be equally pleased if I spent more money on the traffic module... Question
Sunnygjg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes thanks for the information Mike.
Like you and Simon I am chuffed to bits with the 530, it has been absolutely brilliant thus far, and I am very tempted to purchase the traffic module. Like Simon though, I would class myself as a casual user at the minute and wonder if I can justify the extra dosh. Smile
anesbitt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon300 wrote:
Thanks for the info Mike - very useful.

I bought my iCN530 about a month ago and have been very pleased with it indeed - I'm at the point where I almost trust it totally and have stopped even worrying about double checking routes in a map book.

To be honest, as an occassional business driver, I wasn't going to bother with the traffic module. However after finding the A303 (one of the South West's main trunk roads) completely closed the other evening I'm now a bit more tempted (although in fairness to the Navman once I went "off-piste" from the diversion it got me back onto a sensible route - it would have saved me time though had I known about the closure before I set off).

A couple of questions:
1) Do you think it shows temporary road closures for road works? E.g. the road above was closed only at night for several evenings last week.

2) How easy is it to remove from the car? E.g. does it clip onto the main unit and then you remove the whole thing (which presumably won't fit in the leather pouch), or does it come out in pieces, or does the traffic module have to stay in the car? Apart from a few minor software annoyances the only thing I don't like about the iCN530 is that I find the cradle fiddly to use (maybe I've not developed the right knack yet!).

I'm just wondering whether I'd be equally pleased if I spent more money on the traffic module... Question

Simon I bought the T1 couple of weeks back. The unit itself fits very neatly into the bottom of the cradle. That bit they got spot on.
The T1 hower requires to be connected to the power cable all of the time feeding power on to the 530. It cannot be driven by the power from the 530. The power cable for the 530 doesn't fit the T1 and an adapter is supplied. Now its starting to look a bit messy.
The T1 comes supplied with an internal aerial to fix to the windscreen. IMHO (and others on the forums) its useless. So much so I sent my first unit back believing it was faulty. My car does have athermic glass so that would be a factor. Reception was dreadfull and I use the M25 daily.
Yesterday I added a small mag mount aerial from Maplin, and suddenly the T1 becomes turbo charged. I locked on to the TCM signal within seconds at home when it usually takes about 30 minutes to receive anything. I don't really want a magmount on the car, so at some point I'll try some normal car fm aerials.
I love the 530 , but it has taken determination to start to like the T1. Its all about the FM reception.
Simon300
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anesbitt wrote:
Simon I bought the T1 couple of weeks back....
I love the 530 , but it has taken determination to start to like the T1. Its all about the FM reception.

Thanks for the update Anesbitt. I've got a Ford heated windscreen (i.e. not athermic I believe) but don't like the sound of having to rig up another FM aerial for the amount of times I'll need traffic announcements... of course I might change my mind next time I'm stuck in a tailback Wink
BV05
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: 530 + TI Reply with quote

I've been using this for week or so in a Ford with heated screen - traffic info takes a while to come on stream but once there seems to work fine. Trouble is the updates aren't always quick enough so you can be in it before you know and its tricky working out if a divert is worthwhile based just on traffic speeds - they can change again very quickly. Overall pretty satsified with it however.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: