Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom installation lost after power failure on vacation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom installation lost after power failure on vacation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: tomtom installation lost after power failure on vacation Reply with quote

hi,
i am kind of despertate. as i am doing a vacation driving through europe actually france and due to a power failure (cooling box in the car) i have lost the installation on my pda. at least i think so because the icon is gone and i couldnt find the installed files. so i got a dump of the files sent to me by email but still i cannot launch them after i have copied them on the pda. no matter where i put them. always the same "tomtom navigator" failed to start. i am not novice but here i dont have a clue.
anyone out there with a tip? the files i have received are 13 deuf gps pimaddin tomtom nav... ending with wzd ...

PLEASE ADVISE

thankx
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i have lost the installation on my pda
The maps should still be on your SD Card, even after a flat battery. Just re-install TT Software from your original CD's or download v5.21 from the TT site.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files you will need are the CAB file installers they are as follows:

TOMTOM.CAB
TTN.CAB

Once you get these on your device simply use the pocket PC explorer, tap each program and it will re-install the application, This is about the only way you can install if on the road with no back up available to you - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i am kind of despertate. as i am doing a vacation driving through europe actually france and due to a power failure (cooling box in the car) i have lost the installation on my pda.

Apologies tbook, I misread your post. Embarassed Not very helpful, was I?
Satmaniac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing to do is get yourself a copy of Sprite Backup then you can restore your whole PDA in a matter of minutes if need be in the future.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbook, Sprite backup or you can do the following.

Put an empty folder on your SD Card, I've left mine named as 'New Folder'.

You need the following .cab files. inside the folder.

gps, PIMAddin, ttn, wzd, engf, engm.

It also helps to copy the .cfg files, one from each countries map folder in to the 'New folder'.

To get up and running, e.g. after a flat battery, just connect to a power source, using File Explorer to select 'New Folder' on your SD Card.

Tap on each .cab file in the order above.

(I found I only needed to install the gps, PIMAddin and ttn.cabs, the large tomtom icon on the start screen appeared without having to run wzd.cab).

Now tap on one, other or both of the engf (Janes voice), engm (Tims voice).

Lastly, copy and paste the .cfg files back to the appropriate countries map folders.

Everything back to normal including voices and Favourites. :D

In testing I found I had no need for the TOMTOM.cab.

tbook. I've set the above out in simple terms so that others, with less experience than yourself, will be able to follow it easily.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Propety, good tips, one other thing I would to add to the above though it to make the CAB files Read Only using Windows Explorer on the PC, otherwise when you tap them to install they will disapear!
If read only they will work and can be re-used, I used to use this method, but since installing Sprite I find its "Belts and Braces".

Also to avoid needing to carry the engf/ engm voice installer files, I have loaded the voice files into a folder named voices on the SD card, so they don't get wiped on a power outage - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lost_Propety, good tips, one other thing I would to add to the above though it to make the CAB files Read Only using Windows Explorer on the PC, otherwise when you tap them to install they will disapear!

Yes Mike, my mistake. Embarassed How many times have you had to remind me? Lucky you did because I had forgotten to set the gps and PIMAddin files to 'read only', the others had been done the last time you reminded me.

Quote:
I have loaded the voice files into a folder named voices on the SD card, so they don't get wiped on a power outage - Mike

I can read this two ways. Confused

1. You have backup voices in the Voice folder on your SD Card which you can copy/paste back to Mobile - Documents - TomTom, with File Explorer.

2. The Voices are run from the Voice Folder on your SD Card.

If the former, isn't is quicker and easier to use the voice .cab files (set to read only of course? :P ).
If the latter, is there any delay in voice commands?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the voice files I have them installed directly to the memory card and they run from this location, there are no speed problems with doing this, but I only use high speed cards.

The main reason IIRC that I don't like the CAB installer for the voice file is that it puts the voice into My Documents folder thus consuming valuable memory, putting the files into the voices folder on the memory card frees up some space.

In order for the voices folder to work you also need a folder on the memory card called tomtom, you don't put anything into it its presence is all that is required.

As my default voice on my XDAIIs is the Liz Whitt voice I have no CAB installer for this, so I just rely on the card - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the voice files I have them installed directly to the memory card and they run from this location, there are no speed problems with doing this, but I only use high speed cards.

Oh I see, I have a high speed card.

Quote:
The main reason IIRC that I don't like the CAB installer for the voice file is that it puts the voice into My Documents folder thus consuming valuable memory, putting the files into the voices folder on the memory card frees up some space.

I will follow your advice and cut and paste to a Voice folder.

Quote:
In order for the voices folder to work you also need a folder on the memory card called tomtom, you don't put anything into it its presence is all that is required.

I already have the empty tomtom folder for my full postcode search to work.

Just did as you said and its working fine. Thanks Mike. :D Just about to delete the engm and engf .cab files.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: