Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Weak GPS signals
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Weak GPS signals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mindmagic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Weak GPS signals Reply with quote

Help please! I'm using TTN 3.03 with a wired Dell Axim X5, plus 128Mb CF card, and South East maps. I have UK postcode installed but I have uninstalled Checkpoint. I don't use it very often.

The system has been erratic for some time, but now I can't get a decent satellite fix at all, even after sitting in the stationary car with the thing for half an hour yesterday. At the moment I have four grey bars with numbers at the bottom. The number and position of the bars varies; I have had none at all at times this morning. Yesterday I had brief flashes with several red bars and a latitude/longitude, but they didn't last.

Any suggestions please?
mindmagic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - forgot to mention - it's a TomTom car kit.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stand the GPS receiver on the roof of the car, are the signals improved?
Robin
mindmagic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Robin. No, it doesn't seem to help - the signals continue to fluctuate wildly.
eqcons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak GPS signals Reply with quote

mindmagic wrote:
Help please! I'm using TTN 3.03 with a wired Dell Axim X5, plus 128Mb CF card, and South East maps. I have UK postcode installed but I have uninstalled Checkpoint. I don't use it very often.

The system has been erratic for some time, but now I can't get a decent satellite fix at all, even after sitting in the stationary car with the thing for half an hour yesterday. At the moment I have four grey bars with numbers at the bottom. The number and position of the bars varies; I have had none at all at times this morning. Yesterday I had brief flashes with several red bars and a latitude/longitude, but they didn't last.

Any suggestions please?

I've been having similar problems this last 3 weeks, off and on - I've wondered if it was weather/atmospheric conditions related (particularly since - in Scotland - we've also been picking up French local FM radio stations!)
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak GPS signals Reply with quote

eqcons wrote:

I've been having similar problems this last 3 weeks, off and on - I've wondered if it was weather/atmospheric conditions related (particularly since - in Scotland - we've also been picking up French local FM radio stations!)

a deadly combination; scotland, french radio with dutch navigation ain't the EC great!

Ian :D
mindmagic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Weak GPS signals Reply with quote

[quote="eqcons

I've been having similar problems this last 3 weeks, off and on - I've wondered if it was weather/atmospheric conditions related (particularly since - in Scotland - we've also been picking up French local FM radio stations!)[/quote]

I was wondering that too - though I'm in NW London. BTW, the ***** thing just crashed on me, but after recovering (unusually) from a hard reset the situation seems to be much the same.

Barry
eqcons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has been just plain weird - went out last Thursday morning, for example, worked fine on the way to my destination, wouldn't acquire on the way back. Some days a couple of hours not acquiring, then suddenly it's fine. Other days, works within a couple of minutes. Always "sees" some satellites, in grey, signal rising and falling, but I've no idea what makes it take its time to turn red and start plotting!
mindmagic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a reply which I have received from a business networking forum:

"e Layer activity in the atmosphere is bad at this time of the year, particularly in the long evenings - plus we get more sun activity interference in the summer. If you bought/started using it in the winter, then it will take longer to sync."

How does that sound? (I bought mine end of July last year.)

Barry
eqcons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I suspect this is the same problem as we are having:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21440
mindmagic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemed OK when I tried it this morning. I hope it lasts for my long drive this afternoon...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: