Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WAAS/EGNOS on Nuvi300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WAAS/EGNOS on Nuvi300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: WAAS/EGNOS on Nuvi300 Reply with quote

When I change settings from GPS to WAAS/EGNOS on my Nuvi300 it just doesn't pick up any satellites.

I know that WAAS is only for North America but understood that EGNOS was the European equivalent and that Britain was part of it.

Am I correct in assuming therefore that (a) EGNOS is not yet implemented in the UK or (b) EGNOS isn't implemented on the Nuvi300 despite being on the settings?!

Or does some knowledgable person out there know more about this than I do? (Which is very little!!!)
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: WAAS/EGNOS on Nuvi300 Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:
When I change settings from GPS to WAAS/EGNOS on my Nuvi300 it just doesn't pick up any satellites.

This might cause it to do a "cold start" which means it takes a minute or two to get a lock again. Go to an area with a good view of the sky and wait for 5 minutes to see if it works then.

EGNOS does work in the UK sometimes but it isn't very good. Officially it is in test mode so your receiver may or may not use it. You have to be in an area with an unobstructed view to the South and South East and be patient. It can take 15 minutes or more to come up on my Quest (if it works at all).

If you are getting EGNOS information then you will probably see a letter "D" in the satellite signal bars and "3D Differential" on the status screen. The Ds may take a while to appear.

The WAAS/EGNOS satellites have numbers > 32.

America is quite a different story. I got a "3D Differential" WAAS lock with WAAS information for all sats within a couple of minutes of switching the GPS on.

Good luck!
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Skippy.
Nice to be informed of the current situation.
Will be an expert on this GPS stuff soon!

Will give it a longer test later on out of curiosity.

Do you know any websites where one could get up-to-date on the EGNOS situation?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:
Do you know any websites where one could get up-to-date on the EGNOS situation?

The authority is the European Space Agency at http://www.esa.int/

They often talk about EGNOS being live in 2004 but I don't think it is actually live (anyone know for sure?). It seems to me that they are still transmitting with the "do not use" flag set so some GPS units ignore it but others use it anyway.

The interesting thing is that ESA are working on a project to create their own GPS constellation called Galileo which would be under civilian control, offer a quality of service guarantee and not be owned by any one country.

When you consider that GPS is used for Sat Nav, boats, planes, buses, trains, taxis, ramblers and lots of other uses, the thought of the US military having ultimate control over the system is frightening. They could shut it down or selectively block the signal where ever and whenever they choose.....
Rob500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've switched on EGNOS on my Nuvi and it still seems to work OK - is there any disadvantage with leaving it on? I.e. should it perform better without it and if so how do I tell?

(I'm in the UK.)
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob500 wrote:
I've switched on EGNOS on my Nuvi and it still seems to work OK - is there any disadvantage with leaving it on? I.e. should it perform better without it and if so how do I tell?

(I'm in the UK.)

One disadvantage is : if you run your nuvi on the internal batteries they will run down faster with EGNOS enabled!

Dave
Rob500
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the information - as the earlier post said it wasn't much use in the UK then I'll switch it off and let the battery charge last longer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: