Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - IPAQ3850 not charging while running Tomtom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

IPAQ3850 not charging while running Tomtom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TPFKAS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: IPAQ3850 not charging while running Tomtom Reply with quote

When I run Tomtom 5 on my IPAQ3850 in my car (using a wired GPS) after 30 seconds or so, the yellow charging light stops working. I did some tests and it alos appears that indeed the charging process itself also stops sometimes. Anybody with the same experience and with a solution?
Thx.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could quite simply be down to the IPAQ and GPS drawing too much power through the cig socket, the addaptor that plugs into the socket contains a voltage regulator which will be rated for a given capacity. TomTom runs the processor at nigh on full speed all the time so it will consume more power.
One thing you could try is reducing the backlight brightness as this will reduce the overall power required.
Mike
TPFKAS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

I tested it, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. When I turn off the background light completely, the same thing happens. When I completely disconnect the GPS-mouse I also see it happen.

What is very peculiar: when I pop-up the Power Settings window while Tomtom is still running in the background, at firts there is no info visible about the power level of the battery. But after 10 seconds or so, the charging bar suddenly appears, the system tells that it is charging and the yellow light starts flashing. When I close that window and return to Tomtom, the yellow light stops flashing again after about 30 seconds...
TPFKAS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some more time to test but now I am even more confused. It looks like the batteries are being charged (even if the yellow light is not flashing), but I still cannot certify that this is always the case. What is more annoying is that I discovered th the "remaining power" indicator gets confused ase well. One time it was showing 62%, but after I did a soft reset, the indicator showed 100%...
The Resco Torday plugin battery indicator dshows the same values, but I think this indicator is just another representation of the the standard battery indicator. Does anyone know another piece of software with a battery indicator that does not rely on the standard built-in software?
Choppa-Parry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run the same iPAQ with a Navman 3000 GPS sleeve and have the same problem. I also suspect that the backlight is significantly dimmer when I'm running TT5 and that the GPS sleeve does not work nearly as well. By that I mean that it takes a lot longer to get a lock from a cold start 20 mins compared with 1-2 for TT2, and it looses lock quite easily on a journey.

I suspect that there is some sort of power control thing going on, any comments/suggestions would be great, if things carry on like this I'm going back to TT2.
johnmar
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has always been a problem with TTN5 and was extensively reported on this site when 5 was launched.

I am running a 3830, and the charging light goes out shortly after running TTN. However, there does not appear to be any drain on the iPAQ battery, and it may even be charging anyway???

No real problem, just another irritation to live with.

Regards

iPAQ3830 (32MB) PPC2002 ROM 1.20
CF Expansion Pack
Holux GR-213 GPS Mouse (GSW3.1.1 -3.1.00.07 C23B1.00)
Kingston Elite Pro 1 GB CF Card for maps
Viking 512MB SD Card (not used for navigating)
TTNav 5.210 (5430) Maps of W Europe
TPFKAS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply guys. I found some of the older threads, but non of them is conclusive.
On my 3850 it is more than just annoying. One time I made a trip of a couple of hours and when I was at home I noted that the battery level was only at 25% (but then again, I also found that even the indicator is not reliable...).
Right now I can only hope that I not one day I find my IPAQ dead and having lost my data... Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: