Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Proximity alerts on ie.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Proximity alerts on ie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Proximity alerts on ie. Reply with quote

Hi
I have a bog standard ie which is over a year old, from new, and use it occasionally. I find it OK for my purposes and although tempted to buy a later version, don't really use it enough to justify the expense. In any case I dont want one with an MP3 player, radio, photo player, coffee making machiine etc Laughing
I update speed camera databases regularly though and this site is EXCELLENT and recommended to all my friends etc.
I put up with annoyances, mainly because I find the default settings when downloading are presumably safer.
Having used it now for over a year and being blinded by all the expertise on the forums I realise that I probably do not have to put up with these, if I only knew the lingo to ask specific questions. So forgive me if these points have been asked before. I have searched and am overwhelmed with the 11000 of so replies.
If the answer is somewhere then please direct me . SO my Dummies questions:-

If I am going over a flyover with a speed limit/camera on the road below I get a warning. Is that because the satellite cannot differentiate me on the 'top' road when the satellite is detecting a fixed point on the ground? If not how can I set my i3 to correct.

If I am in 'new' territory I note that any warnings re camera positions override any direction announcements and I have missed turns, can this be corrected.

Mobile camera positions. Do I assume that these warnings are because someone has spotted a mobile camera van and reported it? How long does the warning stay on the database? whilst the obvious answer is that I should not be over the limit anyway, do 'they' always come back to the same place???

The fixed proximity distances - they seem quite a long way from the camera. What would be a distance? This may be 'how longs a piece of string question' but any advice would help.

On the Web loader for updates I notice I am 'advised' there are some 'available' but on looking deeper they seem to relate to Poland, Brazil etc and quote various versions from and to. The version I have is Software version 3.2; Unit ID ...etc; Audio version 2.00. It does not seem worth the 'danger' of downloading any thing particularly when
I start it up I now get a message 'Map update Notice' and suggests I look at the web site to upload new maps. It then says the cost of new maps is more than the unit is worth now and relates to updating Europe. I dont want to drive in Europe, as I only travel in Florida, so I dont want to see this message each time I do this. Can I remove this message?

I notice there is an i3 in the for sale forum that quotes having USA maps. I did not think that was possible on an i3?

How can I find the version of maps that I have? I missed the free downloads and I dont think the i3 is made anymore

Embarassed sorry about the length of this, but any help would be appreciated
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Proximity alerts on ie. Reply with quote

iandee wrote:
If I am going over a flyover with a speed limit/camera on the road below I get a warning. Is that because the satellite cannot differentiate me on the 'top' road when the satellite is detecting a fixed point on the ground? If not how can I set my i3 to correct.
It's because although the mobile speed camera van is (normally) looking at the traffic below, it's physically located on the bridge - the position of the warning therefore results in you getting warnings on both roads. There is nothing that can be done about this.
Quote:
If I am in 'new' territory I note that any warnings re camera positions override any direction announcements and I have missed turns, can this be corrected.
I don't have enough experience of the i3 to comment on this one - on the Nuvi range the navigation overrides the speed camera warning.
Quote:
Mobile camera positions. Do I assume that these warnings are because someone has spotted a mobile camera van and reported it?
In the main database, yes - in the pending database, someone has reported "something", which may or may not turn out to be a mobile camera location.
Quote:
How long does the warning stay on the database? whilst the obvious answer is that I should not be over the limit anyway, do 'they' always come back to the same place???
Until recently, mobile camera sites were at places where accidents had occurred, and therefore, yes, the vans often revisit the same spots. Currently the warning stays in the database for quite some time, although some are removed, but I don't know by what criteria.
Quote:
It then says the cost of new maps is more than the unit is worth now and relates to updating Europe. I dont want to drive in Europe, as I only travel in Florida, so I dont want to see this message each time I do this. Can I remove this message?
No, you can't remove the message, although it should not occur on every switch on. The UK is part of Europe, and although your i3 only shipped with mapping of the UK, the map upgrade provides the whole of Europe (obviously including the UK). It's only £40 to upgrade the maps, and I don't think you'll find the i3 that cheaply.
Quote:
I notice there is an i3 in the for sale forum that quotes having USA maps. I did not think that was possible on an i3?
The i3 is sold around the world with different default maps either provided, or able to be added.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
iandee wrote:
It's because although the mobile speed camera van is (normally) looking at the traffic below, it's physically located on the bridge - the position of the warning therefore results in you getting warnings on both roads. There is nothing that can be done about this.

Actually i thought PGPSW was moving the Mobile sites located on bridges further down the road covered to stop this problem. It's possible some haven't been updated. Otherwise you'll get no warning about the camera when being directed by the i3 as it only alerts on route if you are in Navigate Mode. It's possible iandee is using his / her i3 in Map Mode and therefore being alerted because it works on Proximity and not "On Route" in map mode. Perhaps if iandee could let us know which camera and if they were using Map (non-guided) or Navigation (Guided) Mode. The camera will have a name like MOBILE:12345@30 - the 12345 number tells us which camera you are talking about.

Quote:

Sadly this can't be changed and is a fault / feature / bug of the i3.
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks swing & Paul for the courtesy of your replies.
Re the flyover, it was not a van I was referong to but either a foxed camera or speed alert. Paul I was in Navigation mode and will check to number next time.
Swing
I do get the Map UPdate message evry time I switch on. Its merely an inconveniencce I suppoase and like most of your comments it is all proably due to my device being the lower end of the market.
Thanks again Thumbs Up

oh also I fpound that I am on v8 for maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: