Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 02 XDA PDA help needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

02 XDA PDA help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveymoll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: 02 XDA PDA help needed Reply with quote

hi
i want to buy tom tom nav 5 to use on a xda pda there is no provision for a cf card nor does it have bluetooth, but i wold prefer a bluetooth set up as i wish to use the set up when i go on walks can anyone suggest what i need to buy to get the xda enabled with bluetooth

davey
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid there is very little you can do with the exeption of (possibly) IRdA - if you can find a GPS receiver that transmitts on IRdA, HP introduced and IPAQ a while ago that only connected to GPS via IRdA, and there were compatable car holders with integral GPS. Failing this I am afraid its either an XDAIIi or XDAIIs, as these both have wi-fi and BT, or you will have to use a wired GPS. I do sometimes use the wired GPS unit when walking, if you take care routing wires its quite easy, power for the PDA and GPS comes from a set of rechargable batteries and the car addaptor - Mike
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, Where did you purchase your external battery pack? 8O
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid it was bought as component parts and put together (its not difficult, if you can use a drill and soldering iron) have a look at the following thread as it details the exact bits needed to put it together (I get a good 8 to 10 hours extra using this so its worth the hastle http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=28192
Mike
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you have no cf or bluetooth how about the new globalsat sd gps which has 512mb of memory built in see the home page for details I think it will suit your needs though it would significantly reduce the battery life

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you experts are on you might be able to help me with my XDA.
If I put it in the cradle it decides to do a hard reset and totally clean itself out, which is bloody annoying.
It's a company phone so the sensible thing to do would be to get it fixed but I don't to want to be without it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experts - where are they? Contact the service provider and ask for a replacement set, they will normally do this (but you need to persist), I supose it depends on the provider and tariff you use - don't ask, then you don't get so nothing lost in asking the question. I would get it repaired/ replaced as it shouldn't be reseting to that level from a basic sync to the PC - Mike
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Experts - where are they? Contact the service provider and ask for a replacement set, they will normally do this (but you need to persist), I supose it depends on the provider and tariff you use - don't ask, then you don't get so nothing lost in asking the question. I would get it repaired/ replaced as it shouldn't be reseting to that level from a basic sync to the PC - Mike

cheers for a speedy reply. It's only just started doing it so it's not got to the really annoying level yet. I've been using my card reader to update my POI's and it charges ok in the car. It's one of those things that I put off til it totally packs in , Laughing Out Loud :D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works fine in the car but not at home I would sugest the following, firstly does it charge OK when docked in the cradle with only power applied i.e. PC is OFF but mains addapter plugged in. This will give a clue as to PC or cradle problem unlikely to be a duff power addaptor but it might be worth trying a different unit - bent pin in connector etc (as they are works supplied your mates must have the same kit). More so as it works when mobile - Mike
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried other XDA's in my cradle and they are fine, not tried mine in a different cradle yet though
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the serial port at the base is broken it can be repaired check with the service provider otherwise i think is around 150 quid to repair it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: