Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Loss of trail-up & direction marker
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Loss of trail-up & direction marker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johntrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Loss of trail-up & direction marker Reply with quote

I am running version 1.500 (platform21)

Advance power control-----------Normal

I keep loosing the "trail-up" facility and the "direction of travel" blue marker. They can both be recovered by applying the default settings, but then I keep having to put my own settings back in. Can you help please?
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that you are accidentally entering planning mode by nudging the joystick?
Johntrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
Is it possible that you are accidentally entering planning mode by nudging the joystick?

Don't think so, as it is still leaving the "breadcrumb" trail along the route.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johntrog wrote:
4ndynorfolk wrote:

Breadcrumb trail will still show in planning mode. did the circule in the centre go orange?
My Blog Geocache Trails
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if what is happening is the unit is fluctuating between thinking you are stationary and moving; this can happen if you are moving slowly (i.e. walking) and you have the "Use GPS Compass" setting in the menu set at too low a speed. The unit then uses the GPS to decide your speed and direction of travel, and because of inaccuracies in GPS, when moving very slowly it sometimes says you are stationary when you aren't. This would result in the loss of the direction of travel blue marker, and because it thinks you are stationary but it's not switching to the electronic compass, it also doesn't know which way you are facing, so can't orientate the map correctly. When this happens, it reverts to the "North Up" map display.

What speed are you setting for "Use GPS compass"? I used to have this problem until I set mine to 2 kph.
lostme
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans

Having seen your comment about slow walking I am wondering if this setting might be the cause of a problem I have.

I have a setting of 1kph for use GPS compass. However, I often find my time moving is much less than I actually spent moving.

Does anyone know if the compass setting could affect time moving and average moving in the trip log?
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostme-
I think the issue with the GPS sometimes thinking you are stationary when you are moving slowly is the cause of your problem, but I'm not sure that changing the compass setting will make any difference: as far as I can tell, this setting doesn't control logging of the GPS track so wouldn't affect the time moving or average moving parameters in the log; I believe these are calculated using the GPS-derived track and time elapsed since the log was reset.
Johntrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10 wrote:
Johntrog wrote:
4ndynorfolk wrote:

Breadcrumb trail will still show in planning mode. did the circule in the centre go orange?

The circle stayed BLUE.
Johntrog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
It sounds as if what is happening is the unit is fluctuating between thinking you are stationary and moving; this can happen if you are moving slowly (i.e. walking) and you have the "Use GPS Compass" setting in the menu set at too low a speed. The unit then uses the GPS to decide your speed and direction of travel, and because of inaccuracies in GPS, when moving very slowly it sometimes says you are stationary when you aren't. This would result in the loss of the direction of travel blue marker, and because it thinks you are stationary but it's not switching to the electronic compass, it also doesn't know which way you are facing, so can't orientate the map correctly. When this happens, it reverts to the "North Up" map display.

What speed are you setting for "Use GPS compass"? I used to have this problem until I set mine to 2 kph.

The "Use GPS compass" is set to a speed of 16kph as I am using the unit on my mountain bike. I am used to the blue direction marker disappearing when stopped etc but this is a new phenomemon since the last upgrade. I haven't changed any settings and once the default settings are applied to reset the unit, it is OK, and remains OK for a while when my personal settings have been applied, then I lose the marker and trail-up later.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: