Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 530 - UK speed/tax cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 530 - UK speed/tax cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
expatscot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: TT 530 - UK speed/tax cameras Reply with quote

Hello all

Recently switched to TomTom from Garmin, only because the extra features I wanted were on silly priced Garmin gadgets.

Anyway - trouble is that (compared to the Garmin) the speed-taxation camera alerts that come from TomTom themselves are pretty useless. Yes, they give the fixed cameras.... but more useful is the mobile camera zones where a hidden van may lurk.

I got these from Garmin and erroneously assumed the (probable) market leader would supply updates that were as good.... I was wrong.

Is there an add-on, or some way to get the mobile speed camera zones for the TomTom 530....?

Either an add-on or user made POI file from the TomToms site, or even the subscription here.... wouldnt mind that aslong as it does what it says on the tin (so to speak).

{PS:- no moralising comments about if didnt speed wouldnt need to worry about it... if I wanted soundbites without substance I'd have gone to the Labour party website!}
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the PGPSW Speed Camera database does indeed contain known locations of Mobile Speed Camera locations, it is also possible to set the device up to use spoken warnings that contain both the type of camera and its rated speed as you approach a camera - its easy to install and is updated on a very frequent basis - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is there an add-on, or some way to get the mobile speed camera zones for the TomTom 530....? "

Welcome to the forums!

You are certainly in the right place!
Mobile, Fixed, Redlight and Euro cams here all under one roof.

Only the fools feed the taxman, us others just do it via our wages!

Regs

MPW.
expatscot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much obliged for the quick responses....

So, basically, barring any other potential solution, the database/download on the forum here (via subscription) will do the trick on my 530..??

What would be ideal of course would be for TomTom to offer the same standard of camera updates as their Garmin rivals and supply mobile zones too.... but maybe keeping their customer happy doesn't interest them after they paid for the hardware. Rolling Eyes
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dead right there!!!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin cameras aren't that great either. Several wrong / missing ones last time i checked (2 months ago).....
expatscot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Garmin cameras aren't that great either. Several wrong / missing ones last time i checked (2 months ago).....

Well I had my Garmin (c510) for a a few years and never had an issue with the camera's - whether fixed or 'mobile zones'..... was pleasantly surprised when it also alerted to me to French cameras when I was in Brittany.

The odd error I could live with...... but I find it hard to believe TomTom have just ignored such an obvious 'alert' as mobile cameras...

Anyway - seems I will be looking into subscribing and using the 'all in one' alerts from here in due course.

Other than that, am happy enough with the 530....
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

expatscot wrote:

What would be ideal of course would be for TomTom to offer the same standard of camera updates as their Garmin rivals and supply mobile zones too.... but maybe keeping their customer happy doesn't interest them after they paid for the hardware. Rolling Eyes

Probably not a good idea as that's likely to take revenue from PGPSW. Sad Let TT et al. keep their mediochre, overpriced databases, and long may PGPSW reign Very Happy
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don't forget that if you are the first to spot a new camera (still very easy in France) and it's verified you get free lifetime membership.

Edited to say
Quote:
no moralising comments about if didn't speed wouldn't need to worry about it... if I wanted soundbites without substance I'd have gone to the Labour party website!
It would have been nice if you had looked through other posts before you said that because we are a friendly bunch and you are very unlikely to get comments like that here

Merry Xmas Cheers!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: