Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asm1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Problems Reply with quote

Hi

I've had a Tomtom One V2 for 18+ months trouble free. However I've recently tried to update to latest software and have hit problems.

Tomtom Home version 2.4 is installed on my PC and I am logged in to my tomtom account. However on Plugging in my TomTom I get "A new Application has been installed on your device ..." Restart your device etc.

So I restart my device and the tomtom sits with a picture of The tomtom and a cable (as if it is connected via USB which it is) I then try to Update via tomtom home. Updates are detected. When I click to install the latest "Tomtom application for one" the install starts as normal and fails with the message:

"Cannot Create this file E:\ttsystem" where E: is the tomtom.

This happens on my existing memory card (which I thought was faulty) and a new blank one I bought to replace it. Unfortunately I cannot find my original SD card and foolishly don't have a backup (yes I know)

Operating system is Windows Vista x64. All is perfectly legal as I say, I bought the thing fair and square from a reputable outlet although I cant find the damned memory card. Advice/suggestions please?

cheers

Andrew
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you connect the One to the PC and SHUT DOWN Home, using Windows Explorer, can you see the file and folder structure on the old SD card if it is inserted?

If it looks reasonable (a dozen or more folders and a similar number of loose files), we can get you sorted.
Asm1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant see anything Sad Get a "You need to format the Disk in Drive E before using it" message. And this is using either the ONE or a card reader. Have a file recovery prog I'm running at the momet to see if it comes up with anything.....
Asm1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recovery software didn't find anything so looks like I'm stuffed Crying or Very sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be possible to recover the device but you will have to purchase a map to get it all running correctly, it sounds like the SD card has got well and truly scrambled.

You can download free of charge the application, postcode files and voices without resorting to Home, I will provide links to these later when I get back to my PC (its not practical doing this on the phone).

This has to be better than scrapping the device? - Mike
Asm1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

I dont intend scrapping the device... I cant afford to buy a new one Crying or Very sad I've actually got the maps I had (was the one thing I DID back up Laughing Out Loud). I just don't understand why it wont update properly. As long as the update hasn't zapped the Tomtom itself I should be ok, although I'd like to use the card reader to transfer stuff over as the TT seems rather slow.

So if not through home, how do I get the directory structure back on the SD card then ?

Fortunately I have discovered how to get the GPS going on my phone (Nokia N95) which should tide me over until I get this mess sorted, although I'm not sure I can put up with the teeny screen or keys for too long Laughing Out Loud.

cheers

Andrew
Asm1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: All fixed :) Reply with quote

Finally found out what the problem was..... I wasn't running Home as Administrator... instead of telling me I had insufficient privilidges as I would expect, it juct crapped out Rolling Eyes

Oh well... now to download the latest PGPSW speedcam database...

thanks for listening :D

Andrew
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh??

But you said the SD card was blank when viewed with Windows Explorer.... Confused

Oh well, so long as it is working again. Smile
Asm1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I should have clarified:

When the "update" of TT Home waas failingt to install on the Tomtom due to "Insufficient privilidges" i.e. me not running TT Home as "Administrator" in Vista.... muggins here immediately thought 'ah there's a problem with the SD card, backed up my maps and reformatted it. Hence, empty SD card in windows explorer (yeah I know... silly of me) Upon running TT Home with admin rights (previously had this switched on so it would do it automatically but upgrade switched it off) the copy/update/install went smoothly and the files were re-written to the SD card.

So now it all works. cost me £4 on a new 2GB SD card cos I thought the old one was borked... mind you spares are not a bad idea Smile

I feel silly now....

cheers

Andrew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: