Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SDHC card not recognised in TomTom Go 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SDHC card not recognised in TomTom Go 520
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayzee33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: SDHC card not recognised in TomTom Go 520 Reply with quote

Firstly, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place - I'm a "newbie" to this site.

I'll try to be as quick as possible with my problem.

Having had TomTom confirm that my 4GB Sandisk SDHC card would be compatible for my Go 520, I seem to be having great problems in having it even recognise it. I have no special SDHC card reader but TomTom emailed me a list of instructions on how to format my new card - which I did do as they said - but the additional memory still didn't show up anywhere - and when I disconnected the TomTom from the computer, a picture came up on the TomTom screen showing a big red cross on top of the card. Am I doing something wrong here - I just can't seem to get either the TomTom or my computer to recognise this card???

Thanks.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently bought a Sandisk 4GB SHDC card, plugged it into my GO720 and it worked fine without doing anything at all.
If your PC is also having probs recognising the card, there may be a problem with it.

Do you have a digital camera that takes SD cards ? you could try that and see if you can format it in the camera ?

Good luck

Gav Very Happy

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
Jayzee33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this card doesn't fit my camera, but thanks anyway.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you can find a friend who'll let you try in their camera ?
Or even a local photo shop might give you a demo on a camera Wink

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you explain in a little more detail what you did to the card under the guidance of TomTom Support?
Also what do you intend to put on the card.

What Operating System is on your PC, is it using Windows XP or something else?

I appreciate that is more questions than answers, but it might assist in getting to the bottom of the problem, in short the card should work unless it has a very slow read speed - Mike
Jayzee33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Firstly, TomTom's instructions were (in simpler terms):-

1. Create a backup folder on desktop.
2. Copy contents of TomTom to backup folder. Then open My Computer and double left click TomTom device. Copy its contents to the backup folder. Once this done, turn off TomTom.
3. Format new card by inserting Blank SD card into TomTom. Go back into My Computer and right click on the TomTom icon, select format and proceed with formatting the card.
4. Restore folders to the TomTom by pasting them (only the actual folders but not loose files). Turn device off when done (with on/off switch) and disconnect from computer. Switch TomTom back on.
5. Install latest application via TomTom Home onto device. Once update installed, disconnet TomTom by clicking on Device - Disconnect Device on TomTom Home. Turn device off with on/off switch and disconnect from computer. Turn it back on and the update will then install on the device.

I followed all this, but the card just didn't seem to get recognised at all in the TomTom - and it seems to "hang" the computer when I put it in the SD slot and select it.

I mainly just wanted to put mp3s on it as opposed to any more maps etc, but I just wanted a decent card for it.

I am using Windows XP Home edition.

Hope that helps.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to "pick holes" with the advice offered but its far from the best to be honest!

Can you connect the 520 to the PC with the card inserted, when the device asks to connect to PC answer YES.

Shut down TomTom Home as it is not required.

Start Windows Explorer and you should see two drives in addition to the hard drive/ optical drives on your PC, one will be the TomTom internal memory the other will be the card within the navigator. Does thie above work? - if so what is listed on the SD Card when you click it using Windows Explorer? - Mike
Jayzee33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, when I connect the device to the computer and select "Yes", and then go into Windows Explorer, under removable devices it just comes up with the one folder which says TomTom and the drive it is using. If I right click on the properties it just gives me the capacity of 489mb.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the last post was with the SD card fitted in the TomTom? - if so I think you are going to have to get a card reader to establish whether the card is U/S or not - they only cost a few pounds and make the whole process of installing music so much easier - Mike
Jayzee33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes the last post was with the card in the TomTom.

(I am tempted to just buy a normal SD card and see if that works, rather than spend money on what would be my third card reader (both ones I have don't seem to read sdhc formats).

Sorry to sound even more stupid, but what does "U/S" mean?
Jayzee33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - and when I take the TomTom off the docking unit (while it is still connected to the computer), the picture on the screen shows the card and puts a great big red cross over it, before it then obviously reads the actual internal memory of the TomTom.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For U/S ....read Knackered !!!

Gav

Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayzee33 wrote:
Oh - and when I take the TomTom off the docking unit (while it is still connected to the computer)

Not sure if that's a good idea. You should probably turn it off first.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thought, what software version is running on your 520? - tap the sat strength meter and on the right of the display will be a version box, IIRC the initial release of the x20 devices didn't support SDHC and it was activated by a software update - Mike
Jayzee33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says 7.481.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: