Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why should I???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why should I???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Why should I??? Reply with quote

TomTom application
If you install your map on a new memory card, you also need to install the TomTom application on the same memory card.

If you want to install your map on an existing memory card or hard drive, we recommend that you first install the latest version of the application.
Click here to see how to check for and install a new version of the TomTom application.

I am a bit confused by the above statement from the TT web site. I downloaded a new map to my TT Go 520 SD Card on Friday. I have added more POI's browsed the map and played with routes. So it seems to me that I don't need the TT Application on my card. Or am I going to get to the US and it's not going to work.
NA 2GB v8.45
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it means that f you use a brand new, unused card then you also have to remember to install the tomtom application onto it?

if you added the maps to your current card then it will already have the application on it but they recomend you get the latest version.

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone in TT suport needs a little more training, the advice offered is plain and simply wrong!

You have a 520 which is supplied with the Application, voices and map stored on the internal 512MB Flash memory, if you now have the US maps on an SD card simply insert the card to the device and the unit will boot up using the application stored on the device, use Change Preferences/ Manage Maps/ Switch Maps and you should be able to select and view the US map (don't forget to switch back to UK once you know its working).

Any POI files needed for the US map MUST be loaded to the map folder on the SD card, the only good advice was to make sure you have the latest application on the 520 - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

listen to mike more than me - he knows tomtom better than i do!

MaFt
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x20 models to my understanding do NOT require the firmware (system) files to reside in the same location as the map(s). For example, my 720 has 2 gigs internal memory & a 4 gig sd card. The 720 will see this as a total of 6 gigs of useable memory; with other models, it's an EITHER/OR situation between internal memory and memory on a sd card... if you want maps on a card, you have to have the unit boot up to the card by providing the system files there, too.

So, to confirm what's being said here, the x20 models do NOT need the firmware on the card.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

So, to confirm what's being said here, the x20 models do NOT need the firmware on the card.

And to double confirm, all the other models that have both internal memory and an SD card slot, DO need it.
They will boot up using the SDcard if there is one present and the software is on it, and will then ignore the internal memory.
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for confirming that, I did think it was strange as I had the map working with only it and an mp3 folder on a brand new SDHC Card. I was a little worried that as I have not been able to test it for navigation yet, until I go to the US.
NA 2GB v8.45
meryvn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoppy wrote:
Thanks all for confirming that, I did think it was strange as I had the map working with only it and an mp3 folder on a brand new SDHC Card. I was a little worried that as I have not been able to test it for navigation yet, until I go to the US.

When you say you have the NA maps for the 720 did you download them from the TomTom website? Whenever i go through home i only get the smaller USA and Canada map. Can you use the bigger maps on the 520 with an SD card obviously, as i don't see why i should pay the same for a map with half the detail as the 920 one (though it may only be incidental detail i still want it Twisted Evil )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: