Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Europe version?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Europe version?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Which Europe version? Reply with quote

Thinking about updating my ageing Navman,and am fancying a Tom Tom 1 Europe,because I got stung with my Navman 610,when I went on holiday to France,and had to buy an unlock key,at an extra £100.

So I'm looking at a TT1 Europe,but see there are a few versions on the market,ie:V2,V3,V4.

So which do I go for,and what are the pros/cons of each one?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to ignore any references to "v" numbers, these are an internal code used by TT Home and do not match any model numbers you will find on the box.
It is open to HUGE confusion as many people refer to the latest model of One - the "Third Edition" as a "v3" when it most certainly isn't! ( I think it is a v6 in fact)

As described on the box:
There was the original "One" with the map and operating software on an SD card
Then there was the One "New Edition" This came in two flavours - originally with the map and operating software on an SD card, then with internal memory and an (empty) SD card slot

Then came the One "Third Edition" with ONLY internal memory and NO SD card slot. This version also has "crippled" menus with basic functions such s POI management and Itinerary planning MISSING.

When the "3rd Edition" was launched, TomTom began to refer to the "New Edition" as the "2nd Edition" instead.

As far as I know, only the "3rd Edition" is currently being marketed. If you can still find a "New Edition" it would be a better buy.

If not, I would consider paying slightly more and getting the wide screen "One XL" instead of a 3rd Edition "One".
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to locate a 'New Edition' but I am wondering if it comes with the latest maps,7.162,and if not,will I get it as a download from the website?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No and no.
I'm fairly sure a 'New Edition' didn't have the "latest map guarantee" in the box.
And it could be as old as v660 (September 2006)as that's when the New Edition was launched, but I don't know how you can find out what version it is unless they will demo it in the shop before you buy it.
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually a private sale Andy.

I have asked the guy what version it is,and am awaiting a response,and I'm guessing that he can find out by either looking at the literature,or activating the actual unit?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he can't find it, tell him to tap the satellite strength bars, and then on the following page, tap the box on the right where it says the software version.
That reveals a full page of info including the map version.
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.

It's a v652.1185.So I take it that it's an old version,and there is no way of getting the v7 maps on it then?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could allways purchase a new map and at the same time install the version 7 software to the device, you might need a new SD card as well depending upon the map you choose and the size of the existing card - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.
Tricky decision.
IF having the very latest maps is important to you (many people exist quite happily with older maps, just like having a slightly out of date paper atlas), then unless you are getting a VERY good deal, the combined price of the One, a new map and a bigger SD card is probably going to be more than a new One XL (which I think comes with a "latest map guarantee).

Otherwise, just buy the One and see how you get on with it before you decide whether to splash out on a new map. Remember, even the latest map version is always about a year to eighteen months out of date anyway!
Quinny1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.

Made the decision.

See here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=64052

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: