Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Custom Cursors made easyand different and FREE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Cursors made easyand different and FREE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bunnyman69
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Custom Cursors made easyand different and FREE Reply with quote

I think have stumbled across a way to make these custom cursors so easy, well they are working for me anyway.
But i'm doing things different....as normal
1)saved as a gif (will make file smaller than bitmap even default blue arrow comes down to 2kb from original 19kb)
2)can save upto 128 X 128 pixels
3)no red at all shown around saved image, what you see is what you get!

Firstly i download an app called paint.net from

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Takes up less than 10mb when istalled too according to installed location, control panel only shows it as 4.5 mb.

I didn't have to install net framework on my pc as i already had

Once installed i opened a pic within paint.net (was a 3 megapixel jpeg taken of my van)
rotated image (image .. rotate 90)
I then selected rectangle select from the small tool box selection on left (top left) and selected the best looking square around the van. selected 8th icon across on toolbar (crop to selection under layers).
Then image... resized 128 X 128 (de-selected the maintain aspect ratio due to the above rectangle select not being a perfect square).
Image then goes too small to work on so either use ctrl and + together to zoom in............likewise " - minus to zoom out" or can be also done by view...zoom in/out
Now select the erazer tool 6th down on the right in the toolbox on left. Make the brush size what you feel comfortable with, i started off around 15
and then went smaller towards the end. What you are doing now is rubbing out all the surrounding area to leave just your car or homer simpson so you leave a grey and white patch work efect behind. If you can get a good contrasting background behind ya object select the magic wand (4th down in left in toolbox) and adjust tolerence to how sensitive it is, then simply cut the area out.
I finished off using the colour picker to get colour of tyres and used the paintbrush with a very small brush width to get the outline nice and sharp

when finished select file..save as and make sure to select gif
the next page appears and i just selected default ie, 128....7.....multply alpha channel (cus i have not got a clue what they are ha ha)

Load the gif into /art/cars on the X20 unit

Let me know how you get on folks as this was a pure fluke. i was reading about 24bit bmp's 80X80 and 255,000,000,000 wtf.

Oh yeah if you like your image simpley load it back into paint.net and select image ...resize and go smaller now if need be (80X80 maybe)

My gif looks great, can read the sign writing on the back and file was about 4kb.
The whole process will take less than a minute once you get the hang of it

I just wish they worked in 2D, cus this is my preference Sad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting. so i guess you can either use transparency in gif's or use 'red' as the transparent colour in a bitmap.

wonder if they added support for alpha channels in png's?!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: