Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poi download
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poi download
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: poi download Reply with quote

hi can someone let me know when are you going to sort out the problem with the poi ive got a tom tom ive downloaded the cat file but keep getting curupt file when i open it when are you going to sort this out i love my poi to be up to date many thanks Crying or Very sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What cat file? You should get a zip file with the POI files in.

What are you trying to downlaod? What browser are you using? If not using IE, try IE.

Ouit of the thousands of user here you are the only one to complain!!
Esparkie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, I've also had a problem opening the downloaded zip file, Windows giving me an error that the file format was either corrupted or unrecgonised (can't remember which). I was using IE7 and a know that there is sometimes an issue with this version, as stated on the download POI page. I used a different computer running IE6 and the problem went away. I have since then successfully downloaded other POIs using IE7. I don't know if the problem is related to the number of POI cats/subcats downloaded in one go as I was downloading quite a lot first time round.

BTW, I'm not complaining. Although I'm a subscribing member, I realise that the general POIs are provided as a free service.

Cheers,

Mark
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was using IE7 and a know that there is sometimes an issue with this version,

If you use the Show Link option it usually works.
Esparkie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I used the Show Link option and it worked; the zip file downloaded. Then when I tried to open it, and I got the error message.

Like I said, wasn't too much of a headache. Used a different machine and got the POIs I wanted.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ouit of the thousands of user here you are the only one to complain!!

Not another moderator that doesnt read posts, this is a well broached and well repeated subject how can can you possibly make a statement like that, its a well known fact that you can only download a max 0f 22 sub cats and the append(combine) in poiedit to amke one file, this problem seems never ending.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not another moderator that doesn't read posts

Actually i read most, if not, all of them.

Quote:
this is a well broached and well repeated subject how can can you possibly make a statement like that, its a well known fact that you can only download a max of 22 sub cats

It is wrong to say "you can only download a max of 22 sub cats" when it is known that using the Show Link option fixes the problem in the majority of cases.

For some users who download without the Show Link option selected a corrupt file is downloaded.

However the simple fix (for most users) is to download using the Show Link option. This results in a complete and working download - ~99% of the time.

In fact i have just downloaded all the POIs from this site in one file (2.6 MB which is 476 sub categories - a few more than 22 sub category limit you mention). When i didn't use the Show Link option the download was corrupt. When i did it worked perfectly.

I and many others have mentioned the Show Link fix many times, including my response at Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:30 pm in this very thread.

Before you accuse me of not reading posts, try it yourself.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used the link and have just tried again on one category and got the usual blank page, but Paul to put the situation in its true perspective, it would appear from the vast amount of postings which I have followed avidly, is that the problem does not occur with garmin users and is predomintly with tomtom users with ov2 files,
Not being familiar with garmin do these use csv files, I personally have raised this several times and must admit that the only people as far as I can see from sigs that say it works are garmin users. perhaps there is a clue there to resolvement because it it such a shame that this is the only issue that is spoiling such a good database.
Esparkie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried the same. I clicked on every category and asked to download as separate sub categories using the Show Link option. No problem - zip filed downloaded and opened Smile))

I then tried the same but with the categories/sub categories rolled up into one, again using the Show Link option. This time I just got the IE screen that there is something wrong and it can't access the page.

Just posting for info!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the problem does not occur with Garmin users and is predomintly with tomtom users with ov2 files,

All the downloads i made today (about 6 or 7) where TomTom ov2 files. Purely because i forgot (i.e. was too lazy) to change the option from TomTom to Garmin. However in the past i have also downloaded all the files in the Garmin csv format too...

I'll also add that i use Internet Explorer and it's also known that the system occasionally fails for users of other browsers i.e. Opera and Firefox. Using IE to download the files usually fixes the problem.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Esparkie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use IE7. Downloading the OV2 files. So, if you select every category and download as a combined category using the Show Link option, you don't have a problem? Weird, why it should be doing it to me! Not that, practically, you would want to do that!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I then tried the same but with the categories/sub categories rolled up into one, again using the Show Link option. This time I just got the IE screen that there is something wrong and it can't access the page.

This also happens for me too. Hadn't tried this.... Sad I see.....

Quote:
I use IE7. Downloading the OV2 files. So, if you select every category and download as a combined category using the Show Link option, you don't have a problem? Weird, why it should be doing it to me! Not that, practically, you would want to do that!

No-one had mentioned the combine option until now. I was under the impression we were talking about separate category downlaods...
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
... is that the problem does not occur with garmin users and is predomintly with tomtom users with ov2 files,
Not being familiar with garmin do these use csv files, ....
Indeed, and that's where the problem seems to lie.

The CSV File is easy to generate as the locations are just plucked from the database and appended.

OV2 on the other hand has to go the next step and convert the records in the database into a workable OV2 file. Apparently it requires a large amount of memory to achieve this. The nuts and bolts of it are over my head. Embarassed

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phill perhaps thats where a misunderstanding occured between us in that i took you to task for saying that the op was the first to complain, In my view everbody was talking about combined downloads and I cannot remember anybody complaining about single category downloading. but that aside surely whether they be csv or ov2 surely if the quantities are similiar then surely the file size would be similar, but there also seems to be two different problems here.
1) in one instance when downloading a lot of categories you go to a blank page and secondly
2) if you download say 30 0r 40 sub categories you seem to get a corrupt file
Bearing in mind that this is Ov2 files using combined and show link and in my case ie7.
Does anyone else find this the case
chris-t
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: POI downloads Reply with quote

I'm trying to download several POI subcategories for a TOMTOM using IE 6, each time I download the POIs.zip file it only contains one file POIs which is 43k in size. Anybody have any ideas.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: