Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - which, gps rpof antenna please!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

which, gps rpof antenna please!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leanon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: which, gps rpof antenna please!? Reply with quote

HI,
I am quite new to GPS systems and even new to using them to the application I am about to describe.
I will like to monitor some GPS softwares and accuracy, and will like to install a receiver on the roof - yes roof and then connect to my laptop/computer.

can anyone help me out with suggestions on which type of antenna /receiver?
any other suggestions or comments (e.g. - should i use USB or bluetooth or?? any please)

thanks

L
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need an external GPS receiver to connect straight to a laptop, I have three Garmin GPS HVS35 (I think that was the correct part number) they are powered from 12 volts available from the car and connect to the PC via a Quatec 4 port serial to USB port.

These receivers can be obtained on e-bay for as little as 12 quid, sometimes they go for much more, they are about the size of a computer mouse and each one requires five holes in the roof to secure.
By todays standards they are quite an old receiver but I have found they work quite well, other options are something like the Hirschmann Como aerial I have on the car (see the write up elsewhere on the site), this provides AM, FM, GSM and GPS but to actually receive GPS data you will need to feed the output into GPSreceiver, this opens up a number of options in way of the actual receiver, bluetooth or wied could be considered as long as the device has an external connection available, the down side to the Hirschmann is that again you need to replace an existing aerial or drill a single hole for it to fit.

Are you sure you need an externaL aerial though, as most modern recivers will work very well in the confines of a car - Mike
leanon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i want to use it in buildings, so i mean roof of a building.
and probably egnos enabled?
Outlander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be spider man
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it going to stay up on a single building or do you plan to move it around?
I suggest you have a look at some of the marine GPS aerials as these will withstand the weather, something like a Garmin GA29 which is supplied with 30 foot of cable, you would need to pole mount that though.

If you do use a marine aerial you will need to couple the end of the cable to a GPS receiver which can be either wired to the PC or connected via Bluetooth, in order for this to work either change the connector on the end of the external GPS aerial to match the GPS receivers external socket (mMCX or similar, check when you buy the receiver it has an external socket and what type of plug will fit it). The other option is a cable addaptor, but these introduce additional losses and will degrade the signal slightly - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You will need an external GPS receiver to connect straight to a laptop, I have three Garmin GPS HVS35 (I think that was the correct part number) they are powered from 12 volts available from the car and connect to the PC via a Quatec 4 port serial to USB port.

I have one of these (somewhere) they work really well. I got mine complete with a magnetic mount. They are VERY weatherproof - it spent 3+ years on my car(s) in all weather - I never actually removed it from the roof.

I would support Mike's suggestion of a marine aerial - you don't get anything much more rugged.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: