Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - *** has ONE changed spec ***
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

*** has ONE changed spec ***
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: *** has ONE changed spec *** Reply with quote

may seem like a silly question, but backed up my sister's new ONE v2 europe, then realised it has no sd card fitted!
my ONE v2 europe has.
how much memory does this ONE have built in then and in case of failure, can it be restored with the backup in the same way as a corrupted sd card can be replaced??
what is the empty sd slot for then, just extra maps??
thanks for any info
tony.
Shawz
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tonygold,

I got one of these a couple of days ago and was surprised to find no SD Card. Instead they have got 1GB of internal memory.

Here are the questions and answers I got on the SD Card
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=55431
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: *** has ONE changed spec *** Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:
may seem like a silly question, but backed up my sister's new ONE v2 europe, then realised it has no sd card fitted!
my ONE v2 europe has.
how much memory does this ONE have built in then and in case of failure, can it be restored with the backup in the same way as a corrupted sd card can be replaced??
what is the empty sd slot for then, just extra maps??
thanks for any info
tony.
If you have a look here, I think you'll find that a) yours is a V3 & b) hers is a V4? But to answer your question, it has 1GB memory.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for replies guys.
to my second point - backing up the data. is this still as neccessary as it cannot suffer the same fate as my ONE - ie a corrupted sd card??
also is the vacant sd card slot used for additional maps only then?? how much of the 1gb memory is taken up before any camera databases are added afterwards?
thanks again.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:
thanks for replies guys.
to my second point - backing up the data. is this still as neccessary as it cannot suffer the same fate as my ONE - ie a corrupted sd card??

Even more so, I'd have thought!
Quote:

also is the vacant sd card slot used for additional maps only then??

No, it's daft. It uses EITHER the memory or the card slot, not both at once. If it sees a valid card with the operating system in the slot it uses that. If not, it boots from the internal memory and ignores anything in the slot.
Maybe this will change on a future firmware update.
Quote:
how much of the 1gb memory is taken up before any camera databases are added afterwards?

Don't know.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking - the 1GB model mentioned above is, I presume just for the Europe model and not also the GB? Would someone just verifythis as I've just bought the GB and it's got the SD card.

Thanks
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:
Just checking - the 1GB model mentioned above is, I presume just for the Europe model and not also the GB? Would someone just verifythis as I've just bought the GB and it's got the SD card.

Thanks

I also just bought the GB version and map came on an SD card, which after putting in my PC I found was a 250Mb card.

Does the unit itself have the 1 GB storage, or is that just on the Europe version?
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:

Thanks

Answer to this question from tomtom support webpage...

Question
What size is the internal memory in my TomTom ONE XL?
Answer
On the bottom label of the device you will find one of the following numbers:

4S00.000 1 GB
4S00.006 There’s no internal memory because the included SD card contains all the data.
4S00.007 512 MB
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that is for the OneXL - the widescreen version.
We're talking about the new 'v4' version of the ordinary ONE aren't we?.

Typically, the TT website doesn't seem to have been updated to mention any 1GB models.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused as well. We need someone who has recently bought a GB version to say their's has 1GB and then we know there is that model.

(BTW you mention Pixmania. I have had so many problems with them over a faulty camera. Broke down Xmas Day. Took over 3 months to get it back and it is still faulty. After I had this trouble I did a search on the web and many have called them 'cowboys'. Their back up has been appalling for me and they just kept altering their story. I could say more but wont as this is not the place - just be careful).
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are currently 3 Ones available: http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/

The Orange One is the One New Edition Regional (commonly known around here as the V2) but is actually called actually a V3 with GB mapping on an SD card.

The Green One is the Euro model V3 still available without the 1Gb internal drive & using Navteq mapping or the V4 with the internal drive & Navteq mapping.

Stores are still selling Euro V3's (Navteq SD) & V4's (Internal Navteq) so if you have a preference on SD or internal memory then check the serial number.
All V4's start with a Z and on the flap of the box under Technical Spec it says "1Gb internal memory" and V3's serial number starts with an E.

The blue one is the XL (widescreen) currently only available in Regional form with an Teleatlas mapping on an SD card. The Euro will use internal memory and Teleatlas mapping

Last edited by thebinman on Mon May 14, 2007 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebinman wrote:
The Green One is the Euro model V3 still available without the 1Gb internal drive & using Navteq mapping or the V4 with the internal drive & Teleatlas mapping.

Stores are still selling Euro V3's (Navteq SD) & V4's (Internal Teleatlas) so if you have a preference on SD or internal memory then check the serial number.

Just to confuse things even further, the one that I got a couple of weeks ago from Amazon is a V4 (internal 1Gb memory) but came with the v.660 Navteq maps.
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
thebinman wrote:
The Green One is the Euro model V3 still available without the 1Gb internal drive & using Navteq mapping or the V4 with the internal drive & Teleatlas mapping.

Stores are still selling Euro V3's (Navteq SD) & V4's (Internal Teleatlas) so if you have a preference on SD or internal memory then check the serial number.

Just to confuse things even further, the one that I got a couple of weeks ago from Amazon is a V4 (internal 1Gb memory) but came with the v.660 Navteq maps.

You are correct gareth71.

I was confused cos the TT site STILL shows their One Euro as having an SD card map & no mention of 1Gb internal memory.

So, in summary ALL V2/3/4 Euros still use Navteq.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would seem to make sense...
If you read the transcript of Navteq's announcement, they say they have lost the contract to supply maps to TomTom from Quarter 3 2007 - not immediately.

(Although to confuse matters even more, the ONE XL widescreen version is using TeleAtlas mapping!)

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon May 14, 2007 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither is "better". They are just "different".
Obviously if one brand has your address missing, you will say that one is c**p and the other is better.

TomTom have reduced the detail of some of the off-road elements (like lakes etc.) on ONE version of their mapping, to fit it into 1GB (presumably so it will fit on the 1GB internal memory of the v4 ONE).

Companies that use Navteq may well do the same all the time!

To answer your specific question
TomTom One UK has always used TeleAtlas maps.
And as far as I know, NO satnav manufacturer gives away free maps, except (like TomTom) in very specific circumstances.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: