Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 510 and SD upgrade
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 510 and SD upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyrano
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 510 and SD upgrade Reply with quote

Have the 510 with Great Britain map. Purchased the Western Europe DVD. I'd initially thought about loading France (summer holiday) but existing card has no space.

What size of card should I buy? How do I get all my downloaded POI's onto new card?

Probably a daft question, but forgive a newbie Laughing If I only load France on new card rather than Western Europe I presume I will have to swap between cards )GH and France) Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, I would suggest you start by having a read through some of the links provided from This Page.
With the DVD you have a number of map choices, the full street level
Europe map will require a 1GB card and you can fit POI etc in addition to the map, or you have the option to install a Plus map which contains the named country PLUS all major roads of Europe - for example the France Plus map option gives you the chance to use the device on major roads in the UK then obtain full street level navigation while in France.

Or you can get a large card (1 or 2GB) and fit multiple maps on the same card, simply selecting the map you want as your journey progresses, with the cost of memory cards at an all time low, I would recommend a good quality (read/ write speed needs to be good) and put the full Europe map on the card, I wouldn't recommend multiple cards for use on the road - they are small and there is a high chance you could loose a card in the car.

For POI installation again if you follow the link above there are pages detailing how to install Speed Camera POI, the same guides apply for other POI files, they are put onto the device in the exact same way. Don't go downloading every POI possible, your unit has a limit of 100 Custom POI files if you exceed this certain POI files will disappear. To reduce the custom POI categories loaded try using the consolidated download, for example do you need every fuel stop listed by fuel supplier when the single file containing ALL fuel stops gives you the same data, just not split by supplier - I don't bother what goes into the tank, I just need to know where to get it from - Mike
Cyrano
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips regarding consolidating POI's. I'll have a look at the link and also read past posts regarding best SD cards. I agree memory prices are at some of their lowest. Just need to consider whether 1GB or 2GB would be best Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: