Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Duplication??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Duplication??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Duplication?? Reply with quote

Although TomTom Navigator 2 runs fine on my iPaq3970 (PPC2002), i think i've got some duplication on the installation, and wanted to seek advice before i inadvertently deleted the wrong set!!

I've got (showing up in the "remove applications" routine):
ENG Navigator Voice
TomTom Navigator English Voice

i assume that this is a duplication - can anyone confirm, and if so which one is the correct one to keep.

thanks
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Duplication Reply with quote

Whilst you may have duplication in your remove programs list, you will probably not have duplication of voice files. If you remove either you will most likely uninstall your voice files.

What will have happened is that you will have installed one set of voice files then at a later date installed an update of voice files. As these have different program title names the new program title name will not have overwritten the old program title name. However the voice files themselves will have the same names and should have overwritten the originals.

If you are really concerned about keeping your list tidy you could uninstall both then re-install the voice files again.
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr T, yeah, what you're saying makes sense, I think I did install an update of voice files, so expect that's it.

cheers.

david
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Getting rid of the extra entry Reply with quote

If you are sure you have an additional entry and are confident in editing your registry, you can remove it with a registry editor from \HKLM\SOFTWARE\APPS\******
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chances are that the unwanted entry may also relate to a .unload file in the \Windows folder. I can't remember whether you have to remove the relevant .unload file, the registry key relating to the defunct Remove Programs entry in \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apps, or both. It might be that deleting the registry entry gets it off the list, at which point the .unload file then becomes redundant junk that you can clear up (though make sure you delete the right one if you're deleting manually!).

I suggest taking a full backup before touching anything - just in case.

If you really want to tidy up, it's probably best just to uninstall both options, then reinstall a set of voice files. As has already been noted, you will only have one set of voice files. This situation really is TomTom's fault for not using the same 'program name' for all the various voice file sets - all they are is a set of .wav files that go in \Program Files\Navigator, so installing a new set will overwrite the set already present, if not the entry in Remove Programs. This means that apparently having a second set installed doesn't mean that you've wasted a load of precious RAM.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: