Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTon 1 V2 (regional)--UK--brilliant
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTon 1 V2 (regional)--UK--brilliant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: TomTon 1 V2 (regional)--UK--brilliant Reply with quote

Just set up my new TT 1 V2 and I can say it is well worth the £199 that Halfords are charging. Note the PCWorld advert for the older TT1 for the same price on TV today!!

It is a replacement for the Ipaq 2210 running TT5. I wanted more updated maps, particularily of Northern Ireland. I was going to wait for the V2 Europe thats due in a couple of weeks that has Navteq maps but thought I would have a play with the demo in Halfords.
Looked at quite a few areas over there that I know and they are all on at street level. Very impressed as I have been searching for Teleatlas NI mapping and all posts on here suggest that its non existant. I can tell you though that it is fantastic.

Im actually sitting in my living room (upper floor) and have a fix on 6 satelites and amsitting 2meter from the window. It had got the fix as soon as I completed all the options questions!!

I did consider the Nuvi310D but the routing was slow, the graphics were slow and a complete lack of "avoid part of route" options.

I also played with the TT 910 and I have to say that the text input on this unit was quite slow compared to the V2 One. Text input is very quick.

Anyone want anything looked at before you buy then please PM me and I will have a wee nose for you.

PS, anyone want to buy a 2210 and TT5.......Laughing Out Loud

Steve
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fix on 6 satellites isn't on TT Home is it? The TT Home 'emulator' fakes satellite locks.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyHoyle wrote:
That fix on 6 satellites isn't on TT Home is it? The TT Home 'emulator' fakes satellite locks.

Nope, on the actuall unit while disconnected from the PC!!

Steve
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTon 1 V2 (regional)--UK--brilliant Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
Just set up my new TT 1 V2 and I can say it is well worth the £199 that Halfords are charging. Note the PCWorld advert for the older TT1 for the same price on TV today!!
Steve

Hi Tomo,
Credit card at the ready have been waiting for the TT1 V2 arrival.
Had a quick look around and Halfords will be the cheapest for my purchase i can get discount through the organisation i work for.

You may be able to answer a question i have, is the unit ok with the latest Safety camera download and can you assign different voice's for the types of camera?.

Also i have a number of celeb voices for the TT all worked on a TT300 will they work on a TT1 V2
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTon 1 V2 (regional)--UK--brilliant Reply with quote

timber wrote:

Hi Tomo,
Credit card at the ready have been waiting for the TT1 V2 arrival.
Had a quick look around and Halfords will be the cheapest for my purchase i can get discount through the organisation i work for.

You may be able to answer a question i have, is the unit ok with the latest Safety camera download and can you assign different voice's for the types of camera?.

Also i have a number of celeb voices for the TT all worked on a TT300 will they work on a TT1 V2

I have not downloaded any speed cameras yes, not sure whether I will or not as I currently have a snooper s4 that I use. I am thinking about it, but what puts me off is the location on each side of the road of the pocketgps ones or the tomtom ones. Ie, are they located in such a way that the alert will only activate when travelling on the same side of the road as the camera etc.

With regard to the voices, using TT home I can download TT's own celebrity voices so cant see any reason why you cant use what you already have.

Steve
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTon 1 V2 (regional)--UK--brilliant Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
I have not downloaded any speed cameras yes, not sure whether I will or not as I currently have a snooper s4 that I use. I am thinking about it, but what puts me off is the location on each side of the road of the pocketgps ones or the tomtom ones. Ie, are they located in such a way that the alert will only activate when travelling on the same side of the road as the camera etc.

Steve
That is only true if you have "Warn only if POI is on route?" selected for each POI group. This is not advisable unless you ALWAYS plan a route whenever you travel anywhere, since you will NEVER get a warning unless you have a route planned. Also, your Snooper will warn you of cameras on the other side of the road, AND, unless it behaves differently from mine, every pedestrian crossing, petrol station, security camera, etc.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the snooper S4 is a GPS based (with laser, no radar) so no false alerts on the Gatso's due to automatic doors, traffic lights etc. It has 3 logic modes, 1 of which only alerts you to the gatso's etc that are on your facing at you (ie the ones on the other side of the road cant get you !!) so you only get a beep when there is one your at risk from.

Does the TomTom speed camera database differentiate between two sides of a road, so that some cameras it will warn you about (the ones on your side) and the others it wont warn you about as you are heading in the wrong direction for them?

Steve
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Couple of quick Q's...

How are you finding the sound from the new one...loud enough on poor road surfaces / motorway?

Does the one have a "security" system like the nuvi, ie. you need to enter a pin code when powering up?

Any problems with locking up / freezing that the other products in the tomtom range appear to suffer from relatively frequently?

I note that you asked for a PM if anyone had questions but I figure that these are pretty general ones which other people may well ask. Hope you don't mind!

Cheers - Nick
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only asked for the PM as I thought the thread would quickly dissapear and only get read if searched for.... anyway.....

Not used it enough yet to see about the volume. Certainly seems louder than the Ipaq that I used previously though.

I believe it does have a security system but its accesible only through TT home (which has a bug in it so cant yet be done!!). One of the screens on the unit says "PLEASE NOTE: To protect your device with a 4-digit password connect your device to your computer. In TomTom HOME click "My One........."

Again, only used it locally, although have been mesing with it (custom POI's, camera database, favorites etc) in the house and it hasnt locked up once.

Steve
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
No, the snooper S4 is GPS based
OOPS Embarassed Exclamation

Tomo wrote:
It has 3 logic modes, 1 of which only alerts you to the gatso's etc that are on your facing at you (ie the ones on the other side of the road cant get you !!) so you only get a beep when there is one your at risk from.
How reliable is this? Indeed, how reliable is the Snooper database, in general?

Tomo wrote:
Does the TomTom speed camera database differentiate between two sides of a road, so that some cameras it will warn you about (the ones on your side) and the others it wont warn you about as you are heading in the wrong direction for them?
I don't have experience of the TomTom one, but the PGPSW one depends on the accuracy of the submission that we, the users, make. I'd rather have a few extra bleeps than a NIP Exclamation

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomo wrote:
It has 3 logic modes, 1 of which only alerts you to the gatso's etc that are on your facing at you (ie the ones on the other side of the road cant get you !!) so you only get a beep when there is one your at risk from.
How reliable is this? Indeed, how reliable is the Snooper database, in general?
[/quote]

Snooper database is VERY reliable, especially on Gatsos, Specs etc.... no-one can really comment on how reliable it is on Mobile vans as they are not always there. I know that It will say "Riskzone" on many bridges on the M6 and you can virtually guarantee that on a Friday there will be at least one on a bridge in Lancashire/Cumbria/D&G!!

I bet, that it would be possible to reverse engineer the the download as the unit connects to a Serial port of a PC. Someone with knowledge of Hyperterminal or similar would be able to rip the database and convert it to something else Im sure!! Not as I would condone this of course!!

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: