Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updates etc for Garmin C310
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updates etc for Garmin C310

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobesy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Updates etc for Garmin C310 Reply with quote

Morning all,

i'm completely new at sat nav and bought a Garmin C310 around 2 months ago. I've downloaded the poi installer and tried installing the poi's but keep getting told that there isn't enough memory on my device.

how do i find out the size of the sd card in my device?
how do i get the poi's on it?

and also
how do i go about updating maps - i'm fed up of driving in fields on the A1 at Pontefract..?!!!!

all help is much appreciated
tobesy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Please? Reply with quote

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm no Garmin expert, but can't you take the SD card out and see how big it is? You may have to buy a bigger SD card and copy your old one onto it. As far as I know, you have to buy new/updated maps, its the softwear thats usually free to download. As for downloading POi's, if you look on the left of the page, there is a camera help guide, as the camera database is a POi, it will be the same process for any poi.
tobesy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: thanks for the reply Reply with quote

i've taken the card out but there are no markings on it at all.

I've since checked retailers and it looks like a 256mb card is supplied. I'll have to get a card reader and transfer everything to a bigger card as this is probably the reason why the poi's also won't go onto it.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I take it you can connect your Garmin to a PC, so connect it, and call up "My Computer", and look for your device, it should come up as a external or removable drive, usually the "G" drive, if you double click on it, and open it, look for the SD card, and you will see how full it is, and how big it is.
doobs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By default the POI loader tries to install poi's / speed cameras on to internal memory (which is not very big!) of unit - I found that by trial and error if i deleted a few poi's (stored on one folder on my computer) that eventually the file was small enough to install on internal memory. However, I subsequently found that you can also install the poi's /speed cameras on to the memory card by using a pc card reader and asking the poi loader to install to the cards "drive letter" when you get to the drop down option on the find device page.
I now have the exactly the same poi's stored on both the unit and the internal memory. I am not sure if there is any benefit in doing this or which the unit will read the poi's from. Perhaps other users can respond?
doobs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, you therefore do not need a bigger Sd card as there is plenty of room on the original card. Also you can not copy the map/card on to a bigger card as the security of the card locks the maps to the card - however you can back up the map/card to your pc or cd etc and then reinstall on to the original (and only the original) card if necessary

doobs wrote:
By default the POI loader tries to install poi's / speed cameras on to internal memory (which is not very big!) of unit - I found that by trial and error if i deleted a few poi's (stored on one folder on my computer) that eventually the file was small enough to install on internal memory. However, I subsequently found that you can also install the poi's /speed cameras on to the memory card by using a pc card reader and asking the poi loader to install to the cards "drive letter" when you get to the drop down option on the find device page.
I now have the exactly the same poi's stored on both the unit and the internal memory. I am not sure if there is any benefit in doing this or which the unit will read the poi's from. Perhaps other users can respond?
tobesy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: thanks doobs Reply with quote

info much appreciated.

i'll have another go today

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: