Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 60CSX Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

60CSX Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: 60CSX Questions Reply with quote

Hi

I'd like to know if you can use any maps with this unit i.e. tomtom, ICN Navman or Medion Navigator maps?

If I bought a unit from the USA when I'm over on holiday in a few weeks, would it matter not having the EU basemap if I was planning on purchasing more detailed maps?

Is this unit decent for in car use?

Thanks
AndyArk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brood,

You can only use Garmin maps.

If you're adding detailed maps I don't think missing the EU basemap would be a problem. Plan on upgrading the Micro SD card if you want to store more than about 25% of the UK at a time.

I'd say its useable in the car but nowhere near as good as a proper car sat nav, i.e. smaller screen, no touch screen, no voice directions.
Brood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy

I'm still a little confused by the software side though. If I buy the unit from the USA it only comes with a basemap correct?

So if I then want to use the latest city navigator software do I need to purchase it @ $350 or do I get a free unlock or something?
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brood wrote:
Thanks Andy

I'm still a little confused by the software side though. If I buy the unit from the USA it only comes with a basemap correct?

So if I then want to use the latest city navigator software do I need to purchase it @ $350 or do I get a free unlock or something?

The first part is correct,as for the software you need to buy that as a separate item. You will then be able to unlock it to any two Garmin units.

As for using the 60cx in the car ,I have used my 60c and there are a couple of audible warnings at varying distances before the turn acompanied by good visual magnification and direction arrow of where you are supposed to go.all in all for a dual purpose Gps I think it is very good. Its nice to be able to plan aroute on the Pc and send it to the gps or when you return you can transfer the track of where you have been onto the Pc and view it in Mapsource or I think but am not sure,in Google Earth

Dave
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GPSMap 60CS as my secondary unit [Garmin iQue 3600 as my main unit]
I have the ability to use CityNavigator Europe v8 with the 60CS BUT the individual MapTiles are so large that I cannot get the detail for a journey - Pembrokeshire to Dover into the 56MB memory!

So I use MetroGuide Europe which has smaller MapTiles and gives me Wales and South of England within the 56MB memory.

MetroGuide Europe is far cheaper than CityNavigator and does not require 'unlock' codes! This can be bought for less than £50 on eBay

As the basemap is American [on the unit bought as you suggest in USA] and not Europe you will benifit from loading as much of Europe as you can on the supplied 64MB micro card and at least a half GB card!

MetroGuide Europe v7 uses 120MB for the whole of UK and Ireland
CityNavigator Europe v7 uses 173MB for the whole of UK and Ireland.

I cannot get more than 1000 [of the 8000] speed cameras onto my 60CS.
AndyArk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Europe metroguide & yep the map tiles are small but it doesn't have autorouting data embedded in the map data, so the 60CSx cannot plan auto routes with it (you need to do it on a PC).

The CSx takes micro SD/Transflash so upgrading is not a problem, I got a 1GB card for just over £40 & can fit England & Wales GB TOPO on it (this includes autorouting data). City select/navigator maps are much smaller & you would get full UK autorouting in a 256MB card.
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyArk wrote:
I've got the Europe metroguide & yep the map tiles are small but it doesn't have autorouting data embedded in the map data, so the 60CSx cannot plan auto routes with it (you need to do it on a PC).

Your statement is only partially correct, as I can 'autoroute' with MetroGuide v7 and a 60CS.
AndyArk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
AndyArk wrote:

Your statement is only partially correct, as I can 'autoroute' with MetroGuide v7 and a 60CS.

Mines only v4, autorouting must have been inlcluded in one of the updates after this.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: