Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT5 - Hardware Buttons, Non full screen. Any fixes?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT5 - Hardware Buttons, Non full screen. Any fixes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ispartacus75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: TT5 - Hardware Buttons, Non full screen. Any fixes? Reply with quote

Just upgraded from TT3 to TT5.21. Everything seems to be working ok but.....

1) In TT3 I could assign hardware buttons to certain jobs, like Button 1 - Navigate to an address and Button 2 - Exit application.
I found this option really useful instead of hving to drop down through menus.

2) I ran TT3 without full screen mode so that I always had access to my task bar.

Are either of these options available in TT5? Or is there any kind of workaround for them?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q1 No, you can't do this,
Q2 No, you can't do this from within TomTom, however it is possible to assign a function to a hardware button that will take you to the task bar, when TT is running try pressing the contacts button, then you can get to the start menu - to switch back to TT click the pair of red hands in the lower tool bar - Mike
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your observations are correct. A couple of PDA utilities can be used to add more functions to the hardware keys. Two are PHM Tools and SPB Pocket Plus. I have assigned my iTask key (button 4) to close, Mail key (button 3) to task switching to include the Today screen , and the Record key (button 5) to adjust screen brightness for night driving. I have a 4355 with a hardware keyboard so I can assign four more shift functions.
ispartacus75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the posts guys.

It seems then that TT5 has taken a fair step back in certain aspects of its programming while advancving in others. Is this to make way for the new functionality in the program without excessively raising the file size?

Also thought of another missing feature. In TT3 I could go into my contact list and navigate to an address in there without having to manually load it onto the menu. Perfect really as you didnt have to switch backwards and forwards betwen views to put the address in. this has also been removed I believe or am I missing it somewhere.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In contacts you can select a specific entry (use the tap and hold method) then from the pop-up box select the Navigate to option - this will then work - but be aware that it depends upon the data contained in the contacts database you have on the PDA to work correctly - once selected TT5 will fire up nd take you to that address - Mike
ispartacus75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I thought. But when I press and hold on a name entry there is no 'navigate to' option.

Never mind. It was never that reliable in the first place I suppose.
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ideas:

Are you using TT Nav 5.21?

Do you have a folder in main memory called \Program Files\Contacts Navigation\?
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Schneid

I used to have "navigate to" in contacts on TT3, since upgrading to TT5 last year I dont have it any more. I do have the folder Program Files/ Contacts/Navigation and its empty.

I dont know if it makes any difference but I am also running Pocket Informant 2005, would that make any difference?

Howard
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have your answer. Reinstall TT 5.21 to repair your Contacts Navigation folder. It must reside in main memory. If you try to move it, you'll break it.

It contains PIMAddIn.dll and several language files. You can delete languages you don't need.
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi schneid

Thanks for your reply. I reinstalled TT5.21 did a soft reset and the "navigate to" in contacts is still not there.

Howard
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update from my last post. I thought it was strange that there was nothing in my folder, Programe Files/ContactsNavigation when I checked it on my PDA, so I checked it when I was connected on Active Synch via my PC and there are files in it, all PIMAddin files.
So, I can see the files when connected on my PC but I cant see files when using file explorer on my PDA

Howard
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have your system files hidden.

Have you completely removed the previous version of TT and tracked down any orphaned files or registry entries?

TT 5.21 wants to be installed to the default path. Did you overrule it? After it installs successfully, you can move the Navigator directory to a Storage Card. Only \Contacts Navigation, \ITN, and \TomTom must remain in Main Memory.

Are you running the newly installed TT, or could you have a shortcut pointed to and orphaned install?

Other plugins may fight TT for access to Outlook. Have you tried disabling them?
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge TT5.21 is installed correctly, I never overruled it and let it install to the default directory.
All I did originally when I upgraded was to follow the instructions on the screen and I am running the newly installed TT and not a shortcut pointing to an orphaned file. Whether I have any orphaned files or registry entries left over from a previous version I dont know I havent got a programe to check, but as the Version is showing 5.21 anyway I doubt it.

Howard
schneid
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you were using Pocket Informant. Does that mess with Outlook? I used a Today plugin once that wrecked "Navigate to" in the address book.
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually not sure, I dont know enough about Pocket Informant on a technical basis to know whether it messes up the navigate to option in contacts, it certainly is a different format than the original contact database.
What I will do now though is to check on the PI forum whether it does in fact work or not.
Many thanks for your help

:D

Howard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: