Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Windscreen Bracket Frequent Removal?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Windscreen Bracket Frequent Removal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tc7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Windscreen Bracket Frequent Removal? Reply with quote

Just got a Tom Tom One. Wow! What a piece of kit!
I know my gadgets and this one is hot!

I was well impressed also by the way the bracket fixes to the windscreen. I then read that it is advisable to remove the bracket overnight as it may loosen! Not quite as impressed now!

Has anyone had this happen to them? Do you remove your bracket/cradle everytime you leave the car at the end of the day?

Im off to play with my toy!

Tc
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always remove anything to do with satnav.If you leave your holder on the screen, you are advertising what you own even if its not in the car at the time. It will not deter an opportunist from breaking in if they think there might be something

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
Frazzle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem with my TTG mount becoming loose but there is a far better reason to remove the mount...

The low lifes of society are now actively looking for the mounts in car windscreens.... it's like a flag waving saying "theres an expensive nav unit in here...break in".

These erks have even realised that after the mount is removed there is a "sucker ring" mark left on the screen. (rub it off with a cloth)

Once any of these "give aways" have been spotted your car will likely become the expensive victim of crime. They will break your windows and glove box even if your Nav unit is not in the car . The Anglia Police have requested users to please remove the mounts as crime figures for car contents theft are rising fast since the explosion of Nav units on the market.

Sorry to be a scare monger but many very unfortunate forum mebers on this forum and others have reported theft of their TTG's and warned others about the risk.

Take care

Fraser
Tc7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. But I use it for my job, I visit approx ten cutomers a day. thats a lot of getting in and out of the car. I would be inpractical to contantly remove the the winscreen cradle everytime I park up.

Thats something cab drivers don't have to worry about!

I live in a quiet close so it's quite safe overnight. Nothing happens in this close without about 5 neighbours leaping out of the door!!
Obviously I will remove and carry the unit itself cos I know thiefs nowdays go straight for the glovebox!!

Tc
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never remove my windscreen mount (TT500) and it's still rock solid. In fact when I removed it recently to plug in an external mic it was quite difficult to prize off.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Windscreen Bracket Frequent Removal? Reply with quote

Tc7 wrote:
I was well impressed also by the way the bracket fixes to the windscreen. I then read that it is advisable to remove the bracket overnight as it may loosen! Not quite as impressed now!

Has anyone had this happen to them? Do you remove your bracket/cradle everytime you leave the car at the end of the day?

I remove the bracket when the car is left in a public car park, I usually leave it on when at Work (secure carpark) and at home - out of site of passing pedestrians

I have had the mount fall off - but only after re-attaching it - I have a 300 and it is different style bracket to the One brought for someone at Xmas
D-N
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TT One and I have had the bracket on 24/7 for a a couple of weeks so far. Car garaged at night. Out side my office window in day. not dropped off yet

If I nip into a shop I take the TT with me and leave the glove box open just to say 'it's not in here'

have to say I hope no one smashes a window or wrecks the door lock looking for it though.
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find mine wont stay on the windscreen anymore without a bit of spit its a pain as you rdriving along and the whole thing just comes crashing down.

So yes constant removal can affect the suction but its cheaper to buy a new maount then repalce your windows when they get stoved in.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little tip:-

Clean the area where the mount is to be fitted with a spirit based cleaner.

The use a little washing up liquid smeared all over the suction cap, instead of spitting, or licking it.
SeventySix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the bracket in my car overnight on one of the really cold nights (-6) we had recently. When I got in the car the next morning, it was still firmly fixed to the windscreen but when I removed it and tried to reapply it (was still toying with where exactly to put it) I could not get the thing to grip the windscreen at all.

In fact, I had to leave it 15 minutes in in the heated car before I was able to reapply it. It was as though the plastic 'sucker' had lost all of its suppleness in the cold.
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was as though the plastic 'sucker' had lost all of its suppleness in the cold.
Plastic does tend to behave that way - perhaps this is part of the reason for the TomTom recommendation.
Tc7
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive thought about the subject of security and advertising the fact that you have a nice new gadget.

Maybe I will crate a sign from a piece of yellow card (easy to see) saying,
"There is nothing of value remaining in this vehicle".

It may sound silly but a previous poster who mentioned, he leaves the glove box visable open, made me think.

Is it such a bad idea?

Tc
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tc7 wrote:
Maybe I will crate a sign from a piece of yellow card (easy to see) saying,
"There is nothing of value remaining in this vehicle".

You are assuming the criminal can read.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: