Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Re: How do i get speed camera files onto my HP IPAQ rz1710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: How do i get speed camera files onto my HP IPAQ rz1710
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corgi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: How do i get speed camera files onto my HP IPAQ rz1710 Reply with quote

Hi there,

Can somebody please help before i go around the bend here. I have a HP IPAQ rz1710 Navigator package, it came with ViaMichelin software, and all i want to do is to be able to get the speed camera stuff onto it. So could one of you very kind people out there please explain how to do this please, and where do i get the speed camera files from that work with ViaMichelin, as all the ones i seem to read about are for Tom Tom not ViaMichelin. PLEASE PLEASE HELP !!!!

Regards

Alan
embraers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,

I'm in the same predicament!
Did you resolve the issue?!

Regards,

Gary
Corgi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Sorry still no luck mate, over a hundred have read my message, but nobody can help me.

Regards

Alan
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it is no consolation, but from what I can find, the only POI that you can probably use are those you can download from the viamichellin web site.

They appear to be in a proprietary format, and I don't know if anyone has created a converter to handle that. Sorry.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I'm in the process of getting the speed camera data base on my Hp iPAQ rz1700, with Viamitchelin. First of all:-

1. You need to download all the softwear on the Viamitchelin and PDA discs.
2. Download the camera database from this web site, unzip it, and click on, for example "single file version/asc file", and copy or drag the asc file somewhere you can find it. (Viamitchelin use *.asc or *.poi Files)
3. Next you need to make a logo to go on the maps, I downloaded the logo from this web site the yellow and black one with pocket gps world, camera data base on, and used my scanner softwear to "crop" it, and keep the bit with the picture of the camera on, then reduce it in size to 16 x 16 pixels, then save it where you can find it, save it as a BMP (Bitmap image).
4. Next, go to Mapstore, on the Viamitchelin disc, open it, and go to Edit/Types of POI's. On the window that pops up click on "Add" then "change icon", on the window that pops up, look for the Icon you made, and click on it, and click ok. Fill in the name like "Speed camera", and click ok. look down the list of poi's and your icon and name should be there.

This is as far as I have got. You now need to buy a new SD card, at least twice as big as the 128 that the Viamitchelin came on, 246 or more and make a FULL copy of it, not just a back up, Incase you mess up your master copy. Check out the threads on here if you don't know how.
5. Close down mapstore if its open, and open POI manager, also on the Viamitchelin disc. click on browes, find the asc file you saved, click on it, and click open, click the arrow, then find the speed camera icon you made and click on it, and click the arrow.
6. Next, sync your PDA and the speed camers database should be transfered to the PDA. But like I said It realy needs to go on a bigger SD card with the copy of the Viamitchelin program, I haven't got this far as I haven't got a New SD card yet, If you try it, and it works, please let me know, Then perhaps someone could make it a "stickie".
Corgi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tanda,

Thanks for the reply mate, but it is all too hi tech for me mate, i am green as grass when it comes to what you have described here. Thank you for your time mate

Regards

Alan
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan, We are all a bit green when we start, you need to read the forums on here, and pick up the jargon they use, you'll get there in the end, I haven't got any training in computers, and have only had my Hp iPAQ for about a week, so I'm still green too. If you follow my guide you won't go wrong, or if you can't, is there someone who can do it for you, friend or family member, would PC World or a computer technician in the phone book do it for you. Have you downloaded the discs that you got with the Viamitchelin and the PDA, onto your PC. If you haven't do that, and try to follow my instructions, It's realy easy. I think you can get the map icons on here somewhere, or perhaps I could e-mail the icon I made for you to use.
GrayT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanda, did you (or anyone else for that matter) complete this successfully? Be nice for someone to confirm it works before I go through the effort.
Thanks
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, Yes I did it as Described above and it works. If you want to update the database, in the future, download the new database, unzip it, and continue from step 5 above, it will say, "a file called *****already exists, do you want to over write it", say yes, and the database has been updated.
GrayT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. I just bought the very smart ViaMichelin Navigation Companion in mint condition for £75 off someone on here and Tungsten E2 arrives at the weekend so looking forward to trying it out.

Relieved that this can be done as Viamichelin seem to make it difficult for any
other software packages to work with theirs.

Thanks again :D
eclipse91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also the hp iPAQ 1710 with Viamichelin and am a cherry with pc's and stuff. I worked out how to load the speed camera database onto to it. I find computer talk very hard to understand ( It took me a month to work out how to use 'outlook express' ! Embarassed ) If you still need help loading the database on I may be able to help.
GrayT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. PDA arrived sooner than expected and I too have successfully loaded the database. Found the tip on creating the icons useful too as I might do custom icons for some of my other POI's.

Really pleased that you posted up the guide - it would have been naff if the free database couldn't import into ViaMichelin. Although I know it's not a particularly common software, more may buy it with the Tungsten E2 Nav Companion, which is a very nice kit. Maybe Pocket GPS could make it more explicit that the database can load on to ViaMichelin in the way you described.

Early days, but the only thing I've noticed is that the map location is often a bit behind where I'm actually at. A bit annoying when the voice prompt for taking the next exit at a roundabout comes a few seconds too late. Is this usual for PDA's or is it the software?
eclipse91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found if you change the top perspective setting so the top border is right at the top with no sky showing, you can see plenty of road in front so when coming up to the roundabout, you know which turning to take well in advance.
eclipse91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say in last message, how do you "crop" the icons to 16 x 16. Please use 'baby talk' as I am a fresher. What is scanner software? Embarassed
GrayT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stu I might try and change the perspective, although I like the 'real feel' with a bit of sky - at least it verbally tells you in advance what exit to take.

Regarding resizing images, I'm certainly no buff and just tend to fumble around, but I think any decent photoshop software would do. I used Adobe Photoshop software which came with my digital camera. Equally software which comes with a scanner should do but I haven't tried it.

In Adobe I opened my selected image (I too played with the camera image from this site and made the background luminous green). I then clicked in the menu 'image' and selected 'resize'. This gives the option to resize in pixels or cms. Pixels is great as remember you need exactly 16x16. When I first tried to reduce I realised my image was not dead square as when I reduced the height to 16 the width automatically reduced to 15 and this would not be accepted. It took me an embarassingly long time to realise I needed to uncheck the 'constrain proportions' box which then meant I could then choose 16x16. This made the image perfectly square without any noticable distortion.

Other photoshop packages should be able to do this - probably with slightly different instructions. Remember to save the new image as a Bitmap image though. Good luck.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: