Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - internet connection on PDA..
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

internet connection on PDA..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J4G3D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: internet connection on PDA.. Reply with quote

hi guys,

first of all i would like to say im completely new to all this (so i hope this question is in the right department)

ok so i have a PDA a acer n35 to be precise, how would i connect to the internet? i did do a quick search here and there but could only see something about you interact your mobile phone with it to get internet connection? well first of all it wont let me use bluetooth on the PDA secondly if i do a IR search for device and turn it on, on my mobile too, it wont find it. so how? please explain below in great detail of all the ways you can connect?
londonstone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

As far as I know there are only three ways to connect your PDA to a mobile phone.

Bluetooth
Infrared
Data Cable

Unfortunately your PDA doesn't support BT, so that leaves IR or a cable.

I'd keep tinkering with the IR settings to see if you can get that working, as it will save you the bother of buying the correct data cable for your PDA/Phone.

The data cables I've seen in shops are mainly for connecting mobiles to lap tops, but you might get one for your PDA if you hunt around.

There is a very good guide to the next steps on this website...

http://www.filesaveas.com/pocketpcconnect.html

or if you have a PALM device...

http://www.filesaveas.com/palmconnect.html

Hope that helps, and good luck.
J4G3D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, shall try IR again.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth is pretty easy to setup have a look at:

http://www.totalgps.co.uk/forum/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=gprs&match=all&titlesonly=0

Its a step to step guide of connecting your PDA to mobile phone then to the internet via GPRS.
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of companies (Pretec being one example) make a Bluetooth SD card that you stick in you're SDIO slot and can connect to your mobile. Makes me laugh thats no-ones thought to make a GPRS SD card. Theres plenty of GPRS CF cards on the market, but how many PDAs have CF expansion on these days?
GazzerG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you can already connect through your pc?
mburton2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/ Subscribes to thread....

I've been trying to get GPRS web-surfing working on my PDA for ages on and off.....

Just called o2, they say the "system" has recently changed, and I need to re-activate my "data enabled" account (No cost).....I need to wait untill Friday now to see if I can get rid of the annoying "subscribe to GPRS first" window on my mobile....
J4G3D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive eventually hooked my missus's samsung E800 phone up with my pda, though you need infrared on constantly on the phone dont you? well her phones infrared goes off after 2 minutes Laughing Out Loud stupid thing!

cannot hook my pda up with my sharp 902 at the moment, because sharp 902 is a new phone and it only came on vodafone, i managed to get it unlocked as i use o2 pay and go. though i cannot get wap to work on my phone yet due to putting in the wrong settings. so i will need to wait till someone on the internet publishes how to setup wap on this phone.
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4G3D wrote:

cannot hook my pda up with my sharp 902 at the moment, because sharp 902 is a new phone and it only came on vodafone, i managed to get it unlocked as i use o2 pay and go. though i cannot get wap to work on my phone yet due to putting in the wrong settings. so i will need to wait till someone on the internet publishes how to setup wap on this phone.

Do you mean you done know how to do it on that phone or you dont know what settings to use? If its the setting try this link:

http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4331
J4G3D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, thanks for that but yeah i have the settings. ive put these settings into so many phones in the past few years but they do not work right on the sharp 902 as the sharp 902 was specifcally made for vodafone. just wont work i need a exact guide to what to do, dont think anyone has done it yet though.
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry dont have the phone so cant help but those settings are fine for me and i am on vodafone and had no problems using them on many phones and PDA's.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: