Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anything positive to say for TT5 or shall I not bother?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anything positive to say for TT5 or shall I not bother?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Anything positive to say for TT5 or shall I not bother? Reply with quote

My TT5 upgrade is arriving tomorrow. In preparation for it, I've read through a lot of the posts and found them, as ever, very informative.

However, the negative comments I've read on TT5 and the difficulties experienced by so many in installing it and navigating with it leave me wondering whether to bother unpacking and installing it on my Mio 168 or to send it straight back.

Those of you who have been with TTN5 for a week or more now - is it/will it be a worthwhile product? I'm loathe to lose my TTN3 (which has just served me excellently on a 2 week holiday) for the sake of something that is inferior.
Calligrapher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Anything positive to say for TT5 or shall I not bother? Reply with quote

I had no problems installing TTN5 on my Palm T3, I did as they said on the tin and it just simply worked. If I had one small niggle it would only be that I expected newer map files than on my previous version, but this is not the case, shame on you TomTom or your map suppliers.

As to whether it is worth doing the upgrade, my experience says yes, do it as soon as you get it. But, as others have suggested elsewhere, do a full backup of your present card before doing any thing else or put it on a new card just in case.

Best of luck and happy navigating.
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My upgrade on my T3 was fairly straight forwards.. Initally I was quite happy, but the more I used it, the more I realised that we didn't really get much for our money, especially as TT5 is based on the old Palm Version.

My main interest in the upgrade was 'new maps' as there are some horrible map errors in the previous version... I have now realised that the maps are just as bad and in some cases worse. Quite how TomTom can justify this is beyond me.. I know its not their maps, but surely they should have put pressure on their Map Supplier to give them so improvements!

Only today I found that Bristol City Centre is still VERY wrong.. The road system was completely changed about 7 years ago, but TomTom still shows the old road layout.. Most of the roads don't even exist any more and those that do are now one-way.

It could be argued that the best thing about the upgrade is the European maps.. But if you have no use for them (like me) then its not really worth it!

So, for me, I ended up with 3 or 4 new features which are OK and bunch of Europe maps which I have no use for.. On the down side, there are the same map errors and a few new bugs.. Also, I have a feeling that its very slightly slower, but I can't confirm this!

I am actually getting quite unhappy about this as it wasn't really £50 well spent!

Don't get me wrong, TT5 is better than the old version, but not by much.. There are some new annoyances such as the 'Traffic Button' on the front screen (and the Menu Customization which you might have read about doesn't work on the Palm version).. Also, you can no longer get to the 'Browse Map' by hitting the bottom right of the screen and selecting 'View Map' (I think thats how you used to do it)...

Whether it was worth the cost of the upgrade, its debatable!

Good luck!

Jon
Fisherman21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets see :- It takes twice as long to connect to the GPS receiver, thats when it actually finds the receiver after telling it you have a cable receiver when it's bluetooth Confused then it takes twice as long to get a fix Angry

With v3 I used to switch the receiver and Ipaq on as I was walking to the car and it would be ready as you start the engine

Then there's the magical 7 digit postcode search, that is when you do a bit jiggery pockery and make an empty tomtom folder on the card Question then tap the screen then hit the arrow then etc etc

With v3 I had the ukpostcode software mapped to one of the unused hardkeys, just press the button enter the 7 digit code and navigate to and your off Not Worthy

But wait there's the updated maps, not that I can see it still has missing roads in my area which have been there for over 4 years

On a positive note (sarcastic smiley) they've took the manual input of speed settings out for different type roads, now that's handy (another sarcastic smiley)

If you have anything less than a 512meg card you can forget loading most of the European maps as they are now in one file and can't be loaded as smaller maps like v3

The MPH display is tiny and unreadable, that is unless Brodit have came out with a cradle that is integrated into the peak of a skip hat Surprised

Navigate to POI, especially good at finding a POI named "POI not found"

BT phone integration, a bit more jiggery pockery and I still can't get it to find my phone even though the thing is sitting next to me on the desk :D

I'm upgrading back to V3
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisherman,

Bear in mind that the question came from a 'Palm' user.. For us, TT5 looks and feels exactly the same as before (v4.40), so a lot of the issues you mention arn't relevent to us, as its ALWAYS been like this.

Jon
jweaver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry.. Forget that.. It was the 2nd poster who had the Palm, not the first.. My appologies!

Jon
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisherman
Quote:
Navigate to POI, especially good at finding a POI named "POI not found"

I think you may have the same bug as here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22819

When the POI search is working correctly it will show POI's which are 100's of miles away and therefore almost never produces a "No POI found" message.

Roger
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisherman

Sorry but should have added:

This "No POI found" problem can either give a "No POI found" message or just crash TTN5 to the Today screen.

Roger
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my tuppence worth is that I got the full set of European maps for less than it would have cost on eBay. Whether or not I use Traffic (I shall be trying the demo) I don't know, but I'm one of those who prefers to have stuff available, even if it's unused!
JNeail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in essance Lamplight, unless you're a Palm User (I'm not) you'll not notice much differece for your £50 and if your a PockectPC user, well just forget it for now. My copy off TTN5 is back in it's box after 1 days usage accross just over 300 miles from the Midlands to Sommerset as I've now (as some else said here) UPGRADED TO TTN3 as this is the version of choice.

Be warned .. Here is my list of PocketPC related issues on my 'new' iPaq Hx2410 with a GlobalSat 318 BT GPS.

1. All the map errors of TTN3 still in TTN5 (apart from the M6 Toll road is now shown i.e. wasn't on my version of TTN3)
2. Maps appear to be identical to original TomTom Go Maps (My farther in-law has this and I ran them side by side today, no diff - same errors except the M6 Toll road)
3. TTN5 won't allow access to the 'Start' button or menu/alert pop-overs
4. You have to quit TTN5 to launch another app all unless it's has a direct access button, but even then TTN5 often suppresses it
5. 3D Map goes mental in the motorway when you get near a complex junction, i.e. the picture jumps and seems to lose your GPS Fix, once you've past the junction - goes back to normal
6. TTN5 seems to lag behind your actual position on the road?
7. The POI warning is rubbish; I want to set warning in units of time not yards/meters. Without this if your going a bit fast you get very short notice of a speed trap, and too much if your slow.. They need to take a leaf out of CheckPOInt 3.2's book!
8. CheckPOInt 3.2 isn't compatible with TTN5 - Big problem if your a high mile'r
9. TomTom charge 65Euros for Speedcam POIs ... CheckPOInt is free and you can add new on the fly.. wake up TomTom!
10. The POI warning system is so poor you have to go into each POI individually and set it's parameters which then quits you back to the map, you have re-start this process start again for each one you have.. CheckPOInt you can set settings for a selection of POIs in one hit.
11. Think this was mentioned before, but you can't set your own speed preferences, so TTN5 gets your ETA all wrong all the time.
12. TTN5 takes between 30-40 seconds to launch, TTN3 was up in around 7 seconds (HP Hx2410, Navigator S/W in Main Memory, maps on a 60x corsair 1GB SD Card)
13. TTN5 adds 'Bluetooth' support to your iPaq... Why, it works fine without on TTN3.. Have since deleted this
14. TTN5 automatically switches off your Bluetooth module on you iPaq when you quit TTN5, Why.. I still want it active .. I use Bluetooth for other stuff as well as TTN5 you know! Still does this after deleting 'Bluetooth' support!
15. Batt power is rubbish now I've installed TTN5 .. What have they done to my iPaq? Goes from 100% to 77% in around 15 mins .. never did that before.
16. All these problems have been reported to TomTom Support.. No response in 5 days ? (make this 9 day's now?)

Good Luck!

Regards
Jay
Integrated Volvo Phone (Crap - Echoes), Motorola V525, SPV E200, Nokia 6310i
>>They call me Gaget Boy!<<
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a bug with itinerary planning - it doesn't calculate a route unless you are connected to a GPS receiver
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
donka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a huge gps user but I quite like v5. Took a bit of getting used to with the new interface i.e. no tap and hold menus and no start menu available in the Pocket PC interface but I'm comfy with it now and have adapted well. The biggest problem I had was with setting up my bluetooth connection to my gps - I ended up doing a hard reset and have to select other cable method to get connected. Did my first journey at the weekend and had problems maintaining a good gps connection with 4800 baud. I played around and then had it working at 38400 baud and it performed flawlessly - perfect connection, very smooth and the map was perfectly in sync with the roads and junctions I was on. The maps are indeed an upgrade over v3 as I found a couple of fixes on the maps but there are still some glaringly out of date road changes that have yet to be addressed around my area - I kind of wish Navtech supplied the maps instead of Teleatlas.
Overall, I like v5 and given that the plan was to bring all the versions into a core product - I'm quite satisfied that there was not going to be any massive changes or improvements. Hopefully they will come with upgrades from now on. For me though, it does the job and it does it well.
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone of you for being so forthcoming and helpful. You all - negative and postive experiences alike - helped me to make up my mind.

I went ahead and used the last day of annual leave to install TTN5 today - following good advice to keep my TTN3 and related maps backed up in reserve.

The installation went relatively smoothly (thanks to the advice here and elsewhere on this forum) and I was thankful that I had invested in a card reader. So much quicker installing the maps than when I activesynched the TTN3 maps last year! All in all, I benefited from the hours of painstaking work a lot of you put in to working through the installation and offering advice and comments.

(Had a bit of trouble getting Poi Edit to recognise new card and maps file, but cracked it after an hour and half of fiddling and reloading the programme.)

Only some limited use so far of TTN5 to test it out, so I'll reserve judgment for a least a week before I make any comments on the validity of going ahead with the install. The menus do seem very strange; and I hope they become a little more 'intuitive' as time goes on. About the only other thing I can comment on at the mo is a bit trite: it seemed really strange driving around with my Mio in landscape (I hadn't realised what a creature of habit I've become with TTN3); but sruprised that it could still pick up a strong signal.

Anyway folks, thanks again for your support and advice. Stars as always!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: