Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TTG User
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TTG User

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supersnapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: New TTG User Reply with quote

Hi Folks, I have just purchased my very first TTG sat/nav system. With the help of this excellent forum and it's members I have deleted un-wanted voice files and installed the UK Speed Camera Locations which after testing work fine (thanks for that) I have also installed the Wales Post Codes but i'm not sure if I have done this right, does it mean all I have to do is type in a post code, then the house number, then the TTG will calculate the route for me?. Also my TTG seems to be about 100 yards out of sync ie: it tell's me to turn off a motorway when I am already on the slip road, and you have reached your destination in 100 yards when I am already there, is there anyway I can re-sync the TTG ie: if I am parked outside a know address can I synchronize the TTG from that point or not. Another point re: heated front windscreens I drive a Ford Focus, with a heated front windscreen, I noticed that I was loosing satalite connection if the TTG was placed in the centre of the windscreen, I have now moved the TTG to the bottom right corner of the windscreen and it works fine, thanks for all your help and advice. Cheers Graham
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New TTG User Reply with quote

Supersnapper wrote:
I have installed the Wales Post Codes but i'm not sure if I have done this right, does it mean all I have to do is type in a post code, then the house number, then the TTG will calculate the route for me?

Not exactly. TTG comes with partial post-codes built in. When you navigate to these, they point to the general area but need a street and house number in addition.
When you use the downloaded postcode POI files, these use the complete postcodes - but don't know about house numbers. To use them, you tell TTG to navigate to a POI and then select the appropriate category, and type in the full postcode. There is a single location associated with each postcode, and TTG will take you to that. If there are 20 houses with the same postcode, you will get to somewhere near the middle of the group. If it's a business or farm (say) with a unique postcode, you'll get right there.
Supersnapper wrote:

Also my TTG seems to be about 100 yards out of sync ie: it tell's me to turn off a motorway when I am already on the slip road, and you have reached your destination in 100 yards when I am already there. Another point re: heated front windscreens I drive a Ford Focus, with a heated front windscreen.

The location error is probably due to a poor GPS signal caused by your heated screen. An external antenna should fix that. Incidentally, mine is often late with sliproad commands - but I don't think it's a position error but more of a logic error because it aims at the centre of the junction.

Roger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: