Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it doesn't quite make it clear on the front face of GO. Also the pre-production models were extremely difficult to remove and to place back onto the pin connector on the base of the mount, but I believe the production models are a lot easier now.
SilverButtons
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferr wrote:
Dave wrote:
It's suggested end of August but maybe a little later.

So, no chance to get it before summer holidays even tough on TomTom website is written "expected to be available for mid-july"...?
Regards
Ferr

A real shame that is, its why I bought the Navman instead, it cost another £275, but I really did need the maps for a major tour July/August, I couldnt risk the wait for Tom Tom maps.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom may be in a position to offer it earlier, but they do have GO to contend with manufacturing and releasing across Europe, so this will be tying up considerable resources within the company. Hopefully it won't be long to wait!
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phily, no worries buddy, i would be a liar if i said it didn't have me stumped for a while when i got my unit. I too thought the right button was for releasing the SD card.[/list][/quote]
phily
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is everybody??

It is so quiet out there.....everyone out playing with their TTG or are they all lost!!

Not much to say, SHE who must be obeyed keeps telling me where to go, but my TTG is working fine and a great improvement on the old ipaq/navman. Some strange routes sometimes, but gets me there in the end.

Thanks OZ for the information that TTG works at 36,000 feet, now where do I get the maps, maybe your friends at e-donkey can help Laughing

That is it for now, I hope everyone gets home O.K.
GraemeSpencer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Based upon this review...... Reply with quote

....I placed an order with one of the online shops listed on the tomtom web site (handnav) who after lots of searching over the past few days were by far the cheapest at £444.46 inc vat and delivery. If anyone can beat that price please advise. Anyway, I'll give you my personal critique upon receipt of the same.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phily, i wish it worked. All that you get is the GPS status screen, obviously, but nonetheless it was impressive to see the little box fire up so quickly. I suppose being up there with no obstructions would be a major benefit when it comes to locating sat's, and i suppose 747's dont use heated screens!!.
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Based upon this review...... Reply with quote

GraemeSpencer wrote:
....I placed an order with one of the online shops listed on the tomtom web site (handnav) who after lots of searching over the past few days were by far the cheapest at £444.46 inc vat and delivery. If anyone can beat that price please advise. Anyway, I'll give you my personal critique upon receipt of the same.

Hi Gaeme,

I placed my order with Amazon last week and that was for £425.24
inc VAT and Delivery.

Dispatch estimate for these items: 21 Jul 2004
Delivery estimate: 24 Jul 2004 - 2 Aug 2004 1 "TomTom Go GPS Navigation Unit"
Electronics; £425.24
------------------------

All credit to WADS for drawing my attention to it.

Cheers

TG
chim450
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on the verge of ordering a Tom Tom Go, but I still can't see from reading this thread whether speed camera detection will be implemented via POI or 3rd party app. I have held off buying Sat Nav until such a system comes along. Is anyone able to tell for sure whether this will happen with Tom Tom Go?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chim450 wrote:
I am on the verge of ordering a Tom Tom Go, but I still can't see from reading this thread whether speed camera detection will be implemented via POI or 3rd party app. I have held off buying Sat Nav until such a system comes along. Is anyone able to tell for sure whether this will happen with Tom Tom Go?

This will be done as an integral part of TomTom Go using POIs. I have seen this working and it should be released soon. I am not able to say anymore as this info is covered by a non-disclosure agreement.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave has posted untold matter on this subject of poi's and 3rd party app's for Go.
How i understand it is that yes we will get poi's at the end of the summer approx. As for 3rd party apps thats a bit more complicated, we need TomTom to issue SDK licences before we can expect to get things like speed camera and 7 digit postcode lovelies.
chim450
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I assume if I bought one now I in theory would be able to add Speed Camera detection functionality at a later date?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there will be a (presumably free) upgrade available. Which is user installable.
OZ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one MikeB, you have us all like the child in the sweetshop - you have given us a glimpse but no touch!!.
Seriously though of course we all understand the Non disclosure pact, but come on is it good?.
Alright, we'll wait for the official release.
On a more serious note, the last two days i have had trips up to Heathrow ans today to the BBC at White City, both round trips of about 4 hrs. Both times my Go got rather light on battery power, which is acceptable, but when i got it and used it on similar trips it seemed to last longer with no sign of getting dangerously low.
OK i know i have the power cord but it's just something i noticed more so today.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones we were using to test with lasted about 5.5 to 6 hours. This didnt seem to make much difference with use.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 15 of 35

Jump to: