Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJB wrote:
sorry - don't seem to be able to access your picture.

I agree, the voice directions are very clear and, because the chosen road is shown on the 3D map view in dark red, it does stand out better than the rest of the screen, making the unit usable. It's just that I kind of expected clear colour images - like are shown on the screenshots from the various websites selling the units - rather than really quite washed out colours with a slightly less washed out red line for the route.

I am trying not to be overly critical here - I have been very much looking forward to getting the unit and, other than the brightness issue, I like it a lot - it's very neat and the routing software seems to work very well. I have never used a PDA in-car, so I'm not sure what level of brightness would be considered "normal" - maybe I am just expecting too much?

Looks like the direct link to the picture doesn't work.... sorry.

The same picture is in the imagestation album that was in the post before my last...... clicking on the picture will take you to a full size version.
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Screen Brightness Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that AJb is having problems with the lack of screen brightness,up 'til now I don't seem to have any problems with this obviously the sunlight does sometimes obliterate the screen image,but this is only for odd moments and as mentioned the voice prompt will keep me on the straight and narrow.
I wonder if the unit needs resetting for some reason?
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wads wrote:
HOWEVER...... Amazon list GO at £425........

Hi Guys,

New member.... first post........

May I start by saying many thanks to Dave and all for such a splendid 'site' Happy . Also to Wads who has saved me a few bob by giving the nod towards other suppliers.....and me not going to PC World where they are charging £499..... thanks Wads Thumbs Up .

I have ordered the machine via Amazon.......... I'm OK with them as I can be in most of the time, and have had good service from them in the past.

Is there any first step hints you experts can offer just after I open the box?? Pitfalls to avoid?

Many thanks.

Cheers

TG
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

Welcome TG, as a newbie myself both to this forum and TT GO,the basic advice I can so far offer is to ensure you give the battery the required charge,make sure you fix the TT correctly to its mount (a bit fiddly at first)and to give the unit a little time to initially acquire the sats.
I'm sure you will enjoy the TT and will soon receive more advice from the other ,more savvy members.
Cheers Thumbs Up
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks LAMPMAN............. I need all the help I can get, I've never had one of these gizzmo's before, and I don't want to screw up by doing something silly at the set-up stage.

I ordered it yesterday, so by the end of the week it should be up and running.

Thanks for the good advice.... I'll do as you suggest.

Cheers

TG
Wads
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TartanGiant wrote:
Thanks LAMPMAN............. I need all the help I can get, I've never had one of these gizzmo's before, and I don't want to screw up by doing something silly at the set-up stage.

I ordered it yesterday, so by the end of the week it should be up and running.

Thanks for the good advice.... I'll do as you suggest.

Cheers

TG

The GO is so easy to use I don't think you can go wrong...... unpack..... charge..... slot in memory card...... go outside...... turn on and wait a few minutes while it gets its first sat fix. Its very easy to enter destinations and the options are all fairly self explanitory.

One tip from me would be to use a Palm Pilot type stylus or your fingernail on the touch screen...... this avoids finger prints on the screen spoiling your view!
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Thanks WADS Reply with quote

Many thanks Wads Thumbs Up .......... even those little tricks of the trade can make a difference.

You mention the Palm Pilot type stylus, I don't have that machine either, would a good quality plastic cocktail stirring stick do? With a delicate touch, it may equate to my fat finger nail...... ha ha?

Cheers

TG
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best tip for keeping the screen clean is to use an antistatic cloth after breathing on it.

I use the one that Sony Ericsson provided with my T610 phone, it works wonders on the GO screen and my PDAs. I did try using antistatic wipes, but all these seem to do is place lots of liquid streaks over the viewport.

I also try to use the tip of my finger/fingernail when setting the unit up. Having said that I have never suffered much from bad visibility or fingerprint smudges.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks WADS Reply with quote

TartanGiant wrote:
You mention the Palm Pilot type stylus, I don't have that machine either, would a good quality plastic cocktail stirring stick do? With a delicate touch, it may equate to my fat finger nail...... ha ha?

I would recommend that you finish the cocktail first, then of course you wouldnt be driving would you?

Alternatively you could go down to PCWorld and buy some replacement PDA stylii (styluses or whatever) these cost less than a tenner and you get 3 of them. Of course you will never be able to find them when you need them...
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Thanks Mike Reply with quote

Hello Mike,

I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice and wisdom on the matter..... I know you must be very busy, and answering daft questions a bit of a bore.......... but it's "service" like this that newbies like me thank you all for.

Much obliged :D

Cheers

TG
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mind, this stop me doing my real work. Damn I need to do that to get money to do this... Viscious circle.

I am just waiting to get my GO. Most stupid thing I ever did was to give mine back to TomTom. Crying or Very sad
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Laugh Reply with quote

I had to laugh Mike!

On a serious note, I never drink and drive, although I've had a few prangs in my 40 odd years as a driver, none were due to drink or drugs on my part.

I can't wait to get this GPS machine!

Cheers

TG

[/quote]
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my TT Go was delivered this morning Thumbs Up

Not much else to say as to what has already been mentioned although the grubby finger prints on the screen probably won't show up when using the Go at night.

Just a couple of points, if I want to go from A to F via B, C, D and E how I program it to do this all I can do is go from A to C via B, is it possible to have more than the one via?

Another thing that could maybe do with changing is that when plotting into a POI ie a Stadium it will have it down as Blackpool fc (bloomfield road) instead of Blackpool FC (Bloomfield Road). I know it's only minor but I'm a perfectionist. Wink

Is it possible for me to adjust the settings so that it will give me a different time of arrival?

Finally my last question, if I want to get to a town without entering an address and just the towns name is it possible?

Anyway if I can get my arse into gear I shall hopefully be driving my taxi tonight to see how well it works.

BTW, you guys at Pocket GPS should be on comission from TT as I wouldn't of bought the Go if I hadn't of read the review on here. Clap

Thanks.

Thumbs Up
Loxley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
By the time it launches in the UK the Speed (sorry safety) Camera POI interface will be available, but it will be sometime before the traffic will be implemented.

Any ideas on when these features might appear ?

I'd be interested to see how they implement Traffic without a GPRS connection, unless they go the TMC route (a far better option in my view).

This would give give an already fine product a killer Twisted Evil application.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The user definable POIs should be available soon. To date there has been no release date mentioned to me though.

The rest of the stuff is vapourware.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 12 of 35

Jump to: