Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M42 Cameras not in Single POI File
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M42 Cameras not in Single POI File
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip about XImage - I have just downloaded and installed it to my computer. Unfortunately it cannot find either of the Nuvi sat navs and the help file will not work with Vista.

There is no indication on the Garmin site whether the Nuvi is supported - I note the programme dates back to 2005 so it probably doesn't. Pity - it would have been useful.

I have now remembered from way back how to take a Nuvi screenshot - go to Settings/Display and change the Screenshot option to ON. Then when you 'tap' the power button it will create a .bmp file of whatever screen your on at the time. The file is stored either in a Screenshots folder or a PictureIt folder on the Nuvi's internal storage (folder name is dependent on the version of firmware you have. It's in Screenshots under firmware 5.30). Pressing the power button will turn the Nuvi off as usual (so just tap it when taking screenshots) and the screenshot option returns to OFF so you need to set it each time you want to use the feature.

Regarding the problems I posted - I am not all that fussed about the grey dot icon - I am more concerned that people with a Nuvi are cautioned about relying on the single file.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try one thing?

Before you load the database can you edit the file so those entries read @1 instead of @0 i.e. GATSO:11183@0 becomes GATSO:11183@1. You can do this by opening Notepad and then dragging the file onto the open blank page. Carefully edit the @0 alert for a few of the examples we have discussed and see what happens then....

Quote:
I am more concerned that people with a Nuvi are cautioned about relying on the single file.

I understand your concerns but i believe this is quite a model / firmware specific problem and not a general Nuvi problem, as no-one else seems to have encountered this as far as i can see.

Sorry about the xImage program, didn't realise it was so old, or that Nuvis aren't supported....
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed just camera 3405 to speed 1 using Excel
Camera 3406 is still at 0

How did you get the camera icon loaded in your screenshot - or is this automatic.

Conversely - how did you remove the icon for your other shot..?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. How about a speed that we know does work such as GATSO:11183@40 ?
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will have to be my last post for today - dinner calls...thanks for your efforts.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.....
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now reloaded the speed zoned file.

Here is a screenshot of camera 11183 set at 0.

Urban cameras are similar - but with the speed limit in the red circle.
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now carried out a further experiment.

In the single file I set the M42 cameras as follows :-

3501 and 3493 to @0
3466 and 11183 to @1
3405 and 3406 to @10

I also deleted all the cameras in the single file with numbers higher than 11183 which halved the number of cameras included in the file - just in case it is something to do with having one large file on the Nuvi that is causing the problem. I then downloaded the amended file to both our Nuvi 350 sat navs.

I drove through the various camera positions with both our sat navs switched on and with the Nuvi maps zoomed to maximum. On one sat nav no route was planned - on the second one I planned a route which took me along that section of the M42.

Cameras 3501/3493 show on the map as a small grey dot as you pass the gantry - but no alarm was given on either sat nav.

Cameras 11183/3466 also show as grey dots and an alarm was given indicating a speed of 1 mph on both sat navs

Camera 3406/11183 also show as grey dots and an alarm is given indicating a speed of 10 mph on both sat navs

I repeated the route in the reverse direction - but got the same results.

I am now convinced that both our Nuvi 350 sat navs will not operate reliably with the single file data base installed. I would suggest that you place a cautionary notice on your download website to warn other Nuvi users.

Unless of course - you have other Nuvi users who have used the single file successfully and received accurate and consistent M42 warnings, in which case I will have to discover what I could possibly be doing wrong.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you are the first to complain there are 2 possibilites.

1) You are the first to load the Single File Database on a Nuvi.
2) It's down to your hardware / firmware combination.

I've started this thread so lets see what turns up...
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I decided to download the single file database again in case my original download was corrupted.

The result is that the camera icon is now correct - hence the bmp file must have been at fault.

However - the problem with the variable speed cameras on the M42 not alerting still exists - which of course is my main concern.

I am now back to using the speed zoned database which works fine.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, I don't know if it will help but a discussion recently about settings for alerts on the variable cameras on the M25 may give some pointers. I'm not sure if it's a similar problem or not as I would expect the same thing to occur with the speed zoned files as well.

3 mph on M25?
Brodit ProClip mount
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought Gerry - it made interesting reading.

In my case I have not created any folders with numbers etc - so my problem seems to be unrelated.

But you never know....?
Jimbo73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I subscribed a few months back and have a Nuvi 360T.

Using the single file download into the Garmin POI Loader.

If I switch off the supplied Garmin alerts, which are about a year old now, then I lose ALL vari speed cams.

Tried it yesterday on a trip back from the Midlands around the M42 and the M25. Nada.

I do the trip a lot and the cams are pretty easy to spot.

Also, the temporary average speed cams on the M6 to M42 Jct 7A were missing.

Other cams warnings off the m-ways were coming up, so it's clear that the POI upload has worked, at least partially.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further tests with the Single File Database and the Nuvi 760 shows a different set of results...

The icons do show in the map view

However if the Variable Cameras are left at 0 mph they appear but do not alert. No Bongs, no Alert Bar. The 7xx Series also shows all your Custom POIs (Fuel, Shops etc) as you drive around so any POI with @0 or no speed limit information will display on the map but without a sound or Alert Bar. Otherwise you'd get an alert everytime you go pst Sainsburys, Esso, BP etc etc

If the Variable Cameras are changed to @10 they do alert at 10 mph, with Bongs and the Alert Bar.

Load the Consolidated Database and you get an icon and initial audible double "Bong, Bong" but no Alert Bar....

Now thinking about the last one (Consolidated) I like that because the real speed limit is on the Gantry over the road, not on the screen. To be honest, i went through the Variable Section of the M25 twice last weekend and didn't notice the Alert Bar was missing! I got the Bongs to tell me a camera was coming up, an icon to show me where and the speed limit was posted on the gantry.
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005

The results with the Nuvi 760 are interesting. Especially so because I am about to exchange my Nuvi 350 for a Nuvi 770.

Have you tried using the Speed Zoned data Base?

What mystifies me is that the camera entries in the speed zoned data base and single file data base appear identical - yet behave in the Nuvi differently.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: