Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom to stop selling Navigator software on CDs?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom to stop selling Navigator software on CDs?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suspect they'll be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't market v7 for general release - and they'll lose a lot of repeat custom due to such a decision, whatever the customer platform in the future as these disaffected customers move on to other satnav packages.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my TT6 on my PDA. As long as they continue to support it with the odd map update every now and then, I'll carry on with it as long as possible hopefully.
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most up-to-date v6 map is now over 12 months old so I for one am not happy about this. Time to look at alternatives methinks...
marc_holmes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe confirmation will come early next month, to quote to TT press release:

"19 February 2008, Amsterdam - TomTom, the world’s largest portable navigation solutions provider will hold a press conference at CeBIT, the world’s largest trade show for information and telecommunications technology on 3 March 2008 from 16.00 to 17.00. The press conference will be held on the CeBIT fairground in Hannover, Germany, at the Convention Center (CC), Room 3.

TomTom’s senior management will unveil the company’s latest developments and technologies in the portable navigation industry at the press conference. Furthermore, TomTom will showcase its products, services and latest developments at Stand E14, Hall 15 at the CeBIT trade show.
"
Will anybody from PGW be there, or is that a silly question?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that the newer maps are being released for the V7 devices (V7.15) but no new maps for TT6 (v6.75).

This tempts me to move towards a 920 or 720 but I am reluctant to do this just yet as the yet to be launched UK HD traffic on these devices will be obtained through a bluetooth connection to a GPRS mobile phone whilst on the TomTom One HD, the HD traffic is built in with its own SIM. I would expect the 920 and 720 or their replacements to have a built in HD version in the future.
hgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I notice that the newer maps are being released for the V7 devices (V7.15) but no new maps for TT6 (v6.75).

Their newsletter which I received yesterday is trying to mislead us into thinking v6.75 is a new map. When you click on "Buy a new map" in the email and click on Navigator 6 for your device, it tries to sell you 6.75! Also says "All new maps now come with TomTom Map Share". Where does that leave Navigator?
Captain_Eric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many of you, I can't imagine that TomTom will completely abandon the Pocket PC Phone market.

And, we gets some factual hope from the above mentioned video, re: HTC.

My dream is that soon, HTC will come roaring forward with a nice TomTom Navigator Version 7 (with all the fancy 730/930 updates), tuned precisely to the HTV devices (And that I can download it for free to my HTC Tilt. I would buy the maps from TomTom. That wouldn't be at all bad. If it's well "tuned" specifically to the device with fewer trade offs.

In any case, the silence isn't looking good for us Navigator guys.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better if it was the HTC TyTN.
wrinklyninja
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: TomTom Phone Reply with quote

Well done TomTom - Yet again they have totally missed the point. I have been happily using TomTom on my Nokia phones for 2 years. Now they think that thy are going to force me down the route of using their phone. Think again!!! A lot of users have company phones and the chances of their phone being on the list of phones provided is virtually nil. I love my current phone. It is PDA, satnav etc. in one small package. Why can't these morons realise that consumerism is based on choice and value. Evil or Very Mad
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom lost me as a continuing customer the moment they failed to release new maps for v6 at CeBIT, or even to release an upgrade for the Smartphone/PPC software at that time.

CoPilot has never looked so good, frankly. Up to version 7, the screenshots I've seen make the maps look a LOT more user-friendly, and you can configure the driving/nav screen to a small extent. Hell, it even uses the OV2 POI file format.

Need I say more?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: