Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Camera Site Errors?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Camera Site Errors?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weelogic wrote:

MOBILE:15208@30

This is a speed warning sign. This spot in Langlea Road is across from the entrance to the rugby club and a van would block one carriageway of an already narrow road on a corner. Vans can't park on the pavement (the law again).

original comment was: "police stand at side of road and get cars coming down the hill with speed gun"

i.e. no space needed for a van - this one has been left.

MaFt
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could part of the problem of 'ghost' cameras be caused by limitations of the hardware and/or navigation software?

For example, if you're driving along a motorway and there is a speed camera on an adjacent road, could this be the cause of 'false alarms'?

I have noticed with my GPS that the faster you travel, the greater the warning distance and therefore if there's a speed camera on the radar towards which you're vaguely travelling your GPS may warn you even if it's on a different road.

Prior to my GPS, I had a Snooper which warned of everything within the pre-designated radius and I guess it's possible that some GPS/map combinations may have a similar 'fault' if they identify a camera on an adjacent road on approximately the heading you may be travelling

I must admit that I haven't paid too much attention to this because I would personally have the odd false warning than encounter a camera without any warning
weelogic
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, time for humble pie. To Darren, my quote about "minority" referred to another post in the original thread that followed one from me earlier. The other user's post was edited by a mod for language. If I have been antagonistic in my language, I apologise, but I did feel that the previous discussion on cameras had petered out.

To MaFt, your comments as regards the various sites are noted and appreciated. As regards the issue of police using speed guns (MOBILE15208@30 - Langlea Road), this was true maybe 5 or 10 years ago. However, since the local safety camera van came into use the speed gun patrols have stopped completely. There have not been bike patrols in South Lanarkshire since 1998. Also, in Scotland a lone officer cannot "book" you for speeding - there must be 2 officers present for evidential purposes. I know that it is not the same in England.

The issue arose originally due to a misguided approach by our local council from around 2005 to install a multitude of speed warning signs, usually at areas that were not accident blackspots. One of the sites (8457@40) was unfortunately the site of a fatal accident in 2005, but that was down to a young driver's inexperience and regrettable desire to show her car's prowess. It was a tragic case for all involved.

I don't know the mods' views, but I find a sign that flashes your speed and either a smiley or a sad face as a distraction and a most immature way of dealing with a serious problem. I don't mind the signs that flash the speed limit as they are clear and logical, but local opinion is that these are also wrongly calibrated. I have been "flashed" at 27 mph several times... When those signs appeared, they all surfaced in the mobile database, perhaps due to enthusiasm for a "mention", as we used to say in school.

Anyway, gritted teeth or otherwise, progress is made. Next time I will try and temper the antagonism. Apologies to all and thanks in equal measure.

Oh, and you have my subscription :-)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply WeeLogic. As I said, local knowledge and extended comments like you provided back there will make all the difference to getting an accurate verification.
It might well even speed up a verification, because I must admit, human nature means I'm more likely to make a 20 mile or so detour on my journey to investigate something with a 'juicy' description!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weelogic: fyi - the changes you posted have been processed and will appear in todays release

MaFt
TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok chaps, interesting debate. Two things spring to mind:-

1. If the site is a mobile camera, verification is difficult ar there not there all the time. Why not ask, on submissions, for the time and date it was seen? From this you can correlate from a number of submissions to ease verification.

2. How do you become a verifyer? I cover approx 50K miles per year in the north eastern area of england and could verify locations as I travel to various appointments. (not all the time, granted. But better than nothing).

wot say you?

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

TomTom consigned to the bin, after 6 years loyal service.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: