Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Root of the 720 XULrunner.exe problem found
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Root of the 720 XULrunner.exe problem found
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hindsight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
...Question is - hindsight have you passed the benefit of your appropriate nickname to Tom Tom? Or are we all hoping they really do read these threads?

Yes, I've sent off an email to the support team describing the problem and also a link to this thread - I'll share the response when it eventually comes. There's already a note in red next their questions history saying they're having troubles with the current rate of emails.

My biggest problem now is that the replacement 720 can't access the TT+ services - I just keep getting the following screen message on the TomTom when i try and access TT+ - "This content is protected for exclusive use on another device. To use it on a new device go to www.tomtom.com and visit the TomTom PLUS section"

If anyone knows how to get around this, I'd appreciate a nod in the right direction - I've zapped a request off to TT, but I'm an impatient so and so.

TomTom Go 720 and loving it with Google Earth linkup.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
BUT i thought of just disabling the bluetooth connections and it works again (much easier to disable boothtooth that have to remove add phone evertime ),can someone try that and confirm

Does not work for me just disabling data and handsfree on the 720, and others have already reported that you need to delete the phone.

Deleting the phone is probably quicker than disabling every time. Laughing
hindsight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Does not work for me just disabling data and handsfree on the 720, and others have already reported that you need to delete the phone.

Deleting the phone is probably quicker than disabling every time. Laughing

I'll try just disabling the bluetooth on the 720 - it would be quicker than deleting and adding the phone repeatedly.

I also seem to have found a way around the TomTom security farce on the TT+ services, but I'm not sure I should share it publically. I'm still testing, but it seems to have worked. The new 720 seems to be accessing the services, but unfortunately Home 2 is not as informative as 1.6 was.

Last edited by hindsight on Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:
I also seem to have found a way around the TomTom security farce on the TT+ services, but I'm not sure I should share it publically. I'm still testing, but it seems to have worked. The new 720 seems to be accessing the services, but unfortunately Home 2 is not as informative as 1.6 was.

Please share the info. That is the whole point of a public forum. Rolling Eyes

If it's a security risk then the mods can delete if necessary.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:
Yes, I've sent off an email to the support team describing the problem and also a link to this thread - I'll share the response when it eventually comes. There's already a note in red next their questions history saying they're having troubles with the current rate of emails.

1. How can I see their questions history, please?

2. How can you (how can I/we) get at their email address? Please.

3. So tomorrow morning when my new 720 arrives, I shouldn't waste time even bothering to pair it to my phone? (I've paired my 710 instead already)

4. Tomorrow morning when my new 720 arrives, I'm going to find myself in trouble with an unregistered account for a replacement GO?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
hindsight wrote:

Please share the info. That is the whole point of a public forum. Rolling Eyes

If it's a security risk then the mods can delete if necessary.
Please do NOT share the info. We don't want to be party to publishing any way of breaching TT's security. I should, in all propriety, advise you to inform TT you have found it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:
I also seem to have found a way around the TomTom security farce on the TT+ services

What exactly have you found your way around, is it for a paid for service like the traffic information, or downloading maps, or downloading voices. In general is this a major hole you have found or is it for something that is not paid for, but you need to be registered for?

I'm not asking for how you have got round the security feature, just what service you have found a loop hole for, and whether it is felt to be critical.

Cheers
Paul
hindsight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not breached their security or accessed anything I'm not entitled to. I had a particular problem with the TT+ services when my 720 was replaced by the supplier. It kept insisting that the services were locked to the previous unit and there is no way on their website to rectify the situation.

With a little manipulation with a couple of loopholes, I found a way to get my new unit to access the TT+ services - that's all - it is above board, but I'm not sure TT would want the method advertised, that why I didn't publish anything here.

The correct way would be to contact TT and get them to sort out your device registration. My involvement stops here.

Outlander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s been a week and tom tom still have not changed my subscription from my old account to the new one for the 720. Oh and your lucky you can pair your phone mine has not worked properly since I installed the first up date.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
2. How can you (how can I/we) get at their email address? Please.
http://www.tomtom.com/support/rightnow.php?Page=ask.php&Login=1&ID=5 works for me to ask questions.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
hindsight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet there's some frantic programming going on at TT with this one. Just think of the flood of emails they'll be getting and the spiralling cost of all those returns.

Heads will be rolling - perhaps it will encourage them to do a little more testing in future - I still don't see what the urgency was in getting the last Navcore upgrade out - everything seemed to be working OK.

I still haven't had a reply to the support email I sent in on Sunday - there was a promised 48hr turnaround.

They've got this little gem on the Questions History page:

"Due to technical issues in our support centre on Monday 20th August we may not have been able to answer your call. Because of the resulting high volume of incoming emails it might take us slightly longer than normal to respond to your query. We will respond to your question as soon as possible, so there is no need to phone us for an update. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience."

mikentl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv'e been thinking along these lines myself, and yes it is the bluetooth connection that causes the fault. Disableing the bluetooth conection is all that is needed, no need to delete the phone. I have a Motrola v3 connected to mine, I'll try another phone later.
One problem I do have is the volume of an outgoing hands free call, unless I put the mike close to my face I can't be heard. Anyone else had this and fixed it.
hindsight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: The Official reply from TomTom Reply with quote

Here's the reply I got from TomTom this morning. At least they know about the problems and they've promised a fix.

Dear Mr xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

This is currently under investigation. As a work around, To overcome this, disable Bluetooth on the TomTom device before connecting it to the computer. Go to Change preferences / Bluetooth preferences / Disable Bluetooth.

This will be addressed in one of the next software updates.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I can also confirm that this "workaround" works fine - just tested it.

andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i said and people were saying it doesn't work ...works for me luckerly enough
pcdoc69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Tried disabling BT and still got the error also disabled wireless and hands free and then BT STILL got the error removed phone and voila worked fine. Added phone back in switched off and on and THEN disabled BT and it appears to work on now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: