Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS / SatNav / Mobile / Mapping Industry Press Releases
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS / SatNav / Mobile / Mapping Industry Press Releases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Proxpro Wins People’s Choice Award at 2nd Annual Location... Reply with quote

Press release: 18.09.08 Proxpro Wins People’s Choice Award at 2nd Annual Location Summit

LBS Industry Leaders select Prompt - the next generation Personal Information Management (PIM) Tool - Best Enterprise Solution.

WESTON, MA-- Proxpro, the advanced GPS solutions company, today announced that its new product Prompt, a service that makes sure people are never late, won the People's Choice Award for the enterprise category at the recent SiRFecosystem's Location 2.0 Summit. Prompt was chosen by the popular vote of top location-based services leaders because of its "superior use of the power of location to enhance the daily lives of individuals, enterprises and communities, as well as its level of innovation, impact on the market, features and benefits to end users". Prompt is a "push" technology that optimizes navigation and traffic information based on a personal calendar. Prompt compares the user's current location to the time and location of their next appointment, consults real-time and predicted traffic, displays the fastest route and tells people exactly when to leave to get to their next appointment on time.

"Even the best planners can be caught by traffic or construction on their route and the worry of being late for a flight or an important meeting is very uncomfortable," said Marc Kleinmaier, LBS thought-leader and a Location 2.0 Summit attendee, "Prompt is amazing because it's automatic, removes all the guess work in trip planning and ensures an on-time arrival!" Special settings also allow users to effortlessly monitor their daily commute to work in the morning and return drive home again in the evenings.

"Prompt is very useful because it cuts the daily hassle of monitoring the traffic for you before I go to work or on my way home," said Jerry Mortel, Sales, Comcast, "It's simple by just typing in your daily commute address at setup and it does the rest for you. It tells me how long I have before I leave for work so I can avoid being late and because of that I know if I have time to stop for gas or grab a bite to eat. I use Prompt daily."

"I believe that GPS navigation will be integrated to the calendar, providing "when to leave" information so I make my appointment on time," said Jeremy Toeman, LiveDigitally. "I completely expect the category to standardize around such services in the next few years." "Receiving this award is a tremendous accomplishment for us," said Julian Bourne, CEO and Founder, Proxpro Inc. "It brings us one step closer to our aim to bring "when to leave" alerts to everyone's calendar and GPS navigation experience."

"SiRFecosystem's Location 2.0 Summit is quickly developing a reputation as one of the foremost strategic forums for the key decision makers of the LBS industry, and the People's Choice award winners reflect their judgment on how well they demonstrated the benefits of using the power of location to enhance the daily lives of individuals, enterprises and communities," said Kanwar Chadha, founder and vice president of marketing for SiRF. "We congratulate Proxpro for being chosen by these top global location industry executives for the Enterprise category, and look forward to the unique contribution they will make to the evolution of the LBS industry."

Proxpro Prompt (beta) is available free of charge for BlackBerry devices with activated GPS in North America, at www.proxpro.com.

About Proxpro
Proxpro provides advanced software solutions for the mobile workforce management and location-based services industries. The company's situation aware products present just-in-time information to empower professionals and mobile teams to make better decisions, reduce costs and improve customer service. Founded in 2005, the company is headquartered in Weston, Mass.

About SiRF
SiRF Technology Holdings, Inc. develops and markets location platforms based on semiconductor and software products that are designed to enable location-awareness utilizing GPS and other location technologies, enhanced by wireless connectivity and multimedia capabilities for high-volume mobile consumer devices and commercial applications. SiRF's technology has been integrated into a wide range of mobile consumer devices such as automobile navigation systems, portable navigation devices (PNDs), mobile phones, mobile computers, GPS-based peripherals and handheld GPS devices, and into commercial applications such as location servers, asset tracking devices and fleet management systems. SiRF markets and sells its products in four target platforms: wireless handheld devices such as mobile phones; automotive electronics systems, including navigation and telematics systems; consumer electronics products such as recreational GPS handhelds, mobile gaming machines, digital cameras and wearable devices; and mobile computing systems, including personal digital assistants, notebook computers, universal mobile personal computers (UMPCs) and mobile internet devices. Founded in 1995, SiRF is headquartered in San Jose, California, and has sales offices, design centers and research facilities around the world. The company trades on the NASDAQ Stock Exchange under the symbol SIRF. Additional information about SiRF and its location technology solutions can be found at www.sirf.com
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: 3DVU Enhancing Over 80 Million Nokia Phones With Navi2Go Reply with quote

Press release: 3DVU Enhancing Over 80 Million Nokia Phones With Navi2Go, the Only 3D Virtual World Mobile Navigation

3DVU release new Navi2Go for Nokia Phones, the only mobile navigation with 3D aerial photography and terrain landscape.

Tel Aviv, Israel (PRWEB) September 17, 2008 -- 3DVU, the premier worldwide provider of 3D Photography Navigation announce release of multi-language Navi2Go for Symbian S60 3rd Edition Smartphones. With this announcement, 3DVU is enabling over 80 million Symbian mobile users to enjoy Navi2Go, the ultimate mobile 3D picture and terrain navigation for the same cost as standard line-based maps. Navi2Go is the only offboard 3D image navigation solution in the world providing the most intuitive and efficient navigation experience. Navi2Go is a cross platform mobile navigation solution available on hundreds of Windows Mobile, BlackBerry and Symbian mobile phones. Navi2Go is offered at same low cost of standard line-based map solutions, bringing rich media to the masses. Navi2Go US, Navi2Go UK, Navi2Go Germany, and Navi2Go Netherlands for Symbian devices are being sold by leading Mobile Operators and shops such as Handmark, MobiHand, PocketGear, Mobile2Day, Pocketland, Handango and more.

Navi2Go is a patented mobile application, providing 3D photography for the most intuitive navigation experience on mobile handsets. Users can travel the entire USA, UK, Germany and Netherlands at high resolution aerial photography with full 3D landscape. Navi2Go is making it easier for consumers to navigate giving instant orientation that prevents them from getting lost. Accurate multi-language voice guidance and 3D route guidance over 3D virtual world makes Navi2Go the most intuitive, friendly and easy to use navigation solution. Navi2Go includes newly released features including navigation preferences that let users select the Fastest Way, Easiest Way, Pedestrian mode as well as an advanced Search menu that helps you locate and navigate to Restaurants, Parks, Banks and more.

"3VDU continues to expand its offering to more mobile users on more popular phones. For the first time, tens of millions of Symbian mobile users will benefit from navigation of entire country with full 3D high-resolution photography and high-definition terrain." noted Isaac Levanon 3DVU's Chairman and CEO. "Where all others are offering navigation with 80's-like graphics, Navi2Go is game changing, presenting the real world virtually to the mobile handsets" added Levanon.

3DVU will expand distribution covering all of France, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark and the rest of Western Europe in high resolution aerial imagery and high definition terrain elevation. Navi2Go will soon release its product with an added navigation mode providing 3D line-based map with 3D terrain elevation for users who want the choice to navigate between a map and picture. 3DVU will commercially release Navi2Go for iPhone, Linux and JAVA devices shortly.

Here is a list of S60 3rd Edition Devices that are currently available for Navi2Go:

Nokia Eseries: Nokia E71, Nokia E66, Nokia E90 Communicator, Nokia E70, Nokia E65, Nokia E62, Nokia E61i, Nokia E61, Nokia E60, Nokia E51, Nokia E50

Nokia Nseries: Nokia N96, Nokia N85, Nokia N79, Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia N95, Nokia N82, Nokia N81 8GB, Nokia N81, Nokia N78, Nokia N77, Nokia N76, Nokia N75, Nokia N73, Nokia N93, Nokia N93i, Nokia N80, Nokia N91, Nokia N92, Nokia N71

Other Nokia S60 3rd Edition devices: Nokia 3250, Nokia 5500, Nokia 6290, Nokia 6110 Navigator, Nokia 6120 classic, Nokia 6121 classic, Nokia 6122 classic, Nokia 6124, Nokia 6650 fold, Nokia 5320 XpressMusic, Nokia 5700 XpressMusic, Nokia 6210 Navigator, Nokia 6220 classic

Samsung S60 3rd Edition devices: SGH - G810, SGH_i400, SGH_i450, SGH_i550, SGH_i520, SGH-i560

LG S60 3rd Edition devices: LG-KT610, LG-SK10

About 3DVU
3DVU is the world's leading provider of 3D Image Navigation and Location Services. Satellite and aerial imagery, as well as mapping data, such as route information can now be streamed over limited-bandwidth communications with realistic 3D views and smooth maneuverability. The company is strategically partnered with carmakers, navigation systems, mobile device and handset developers, major satellite and aerial image-sensing entities, mapping and GIS data providers. 3DVU is the winner of Frost & Sullivan's Europe Telematics and Infotainment Technology of the Year Award in 2007. The company has multiple software patents. For more information, visit www.3dvu.com.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: A unique use of Rocky Mountain Tracking's Rover GPS device Reply with quote

Press release: Fort Collins, CO September 17, 2008 -- A unique use of Rocky Mountain Tracking's Rover GPS device helped Gene combat his girlfriend's drug addiction.

"Gene is a perfect example of people who can put our GPS devices to innovative uses even in their private lives, to solve a particular problem," says Brad Borst of Rocky Mountain Tracking. "Rocky Mountain Tracking's numerous GPS tracking features enable precisely this kind of flexibility and innovation."

Gene bought the Rocky Mountain Tracking device (available online at http://www.RMTracking.com) over the phone from Jeff Tomlinson, a sales manager. Once installed in her car, the live Rover device allowed Gene to see, on his computer, every detail of his girlfriend's travel: location, direction, speed, and tracking history. It also created a geo fence, which showed when she went outside a specified area.

Thus, when she left home to buy drugs, Gene would be able to follow her and show up at the location. "I would show up and nobody knew how," he says. "You can't imagine all the things she said to me when I told her - but of course, that was the addiction talking, not the person."

After a while, Gene adds, the people selling the drugs wouldn't even have anything to do with his girlfriend because they knew he would be following right behind her.

"The bottom line was that I needed something to help me, and the Rover device did for me exactly what I needed," says Gene. "The tracking device helped me help her, so that she could finally do what she had to, to save her own life."
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Radiocrafts and Wavecom introduce Wireless M-Bus and ZigBee® Reply with quote

Press release: 19.09.08 Radiocrafts and Wavecom introduce Wireless M-Bus and ZigBee®-enabled GSM/GPRS/EDGE gateway for smart metering

Radiocrafts used Wavecom’s open-interface Fastrack Supreme to create a compact gateway combining several RF technologies for smart meter management
Oslo, Norway and Issy-les-Moulineaux, France – September 18, 2008
Radiocrafts AS and Wavecom SA today announced the launch of a new GSM/GPRS/EDGE gateway for smart metering which embeds Wireless M-Bus and ZigBee, all in a very compact form factor. The Wireless M-Bus standard (EN 13757-4:2005) specifies the communication between water, gas, heat and electricity meters and concentrators, whereas ZigBee is a standard for monitoring and control applications using low power radio networking.

The unique new solution is based on Wavecom’s Fastrack Supreme, a programmable application processor with GSM/GPRS/EDGE modem capabilities. The Fastrack Supreme comes with an open-standard interface which allows developers to add supplementary I/O connectivity and features in the form of expansion cards. Radiocrafts has developed a unique expansion card for smart metering which adds Wireless M-Bus or ZigBee to the GSM/GPRS/EDGE communications function.

The solution reflects Radiocrafts’ successful business model, which is to propose size and pin compatible modules of the smallest possible size. The expansion card created with Fastrack Supreme embeds Wireless M-Bus (868 MHz) or ZigBee (2.4 GHz, including high power) on interchangeable PCBs. Both versions of the card connect via a UART serial interface to the RTOS driven host controller in the Fastrack Supreme. The gateway will enable manufacturers of smart metering solutions to develop devices operating on various RF networks with minimum design effort.

Customers can either purchase a ready-to-use expansion card from Radiocrafts, or buy only the Wireless M-Bus or ZigBee module and create their own card. All documentation required to manufacture a customized expansion card is made available by Radiocrafts. Source code for the demonstration software is available from Radiocrafts and their partner Asvito (Drammen, Norway).

The Fastrack Supreme features a powerful central processing unit with an ARM9 32 bit, 26-104 MHz core, programmable via any combination of AT commands, C and Lua. It supports Wavecom’s Intelligent Device Services which enable the remote monitoring and upgrade of meters in the field.

Hallvard Moholdt, Technical Solutions Manager at Radiocrafts, commented: “We have thoroughly enjoyed designing with the Fastrack Supreme – the concept perfectly matches our business which is all about making RF easy for our customers. The resulting product provides a very flexible and cost-effective solution for smart metering, and indeed for control and monitoring in general.”

Philippe Guillemette, Chief Technology Officer and VP Marketing at Wavecom, added: “This is exactly the kind of innovative design that the Fastrack Supreme with its open interface was created to support. We are very excited about Radiocrafts’ product, which combines our GSM/GPRS/EDGE solution with two other very successful RF technologies, and we are convinced that it will be very well received by the smart metering community.”

To find out more, visit us at Metering Europe in Amsterdam, The Netherlands from 22 to 24 September (Radiocrafts at stand no C02, Wavecom at stand no H03), or at Metering India in Mumbai, India from 14 to 16 October (Radiocrafts at stand no 303, Wavecom at stand no 501).

About Radiocrafts

Radiocrafts is a leading RF module design and manufacturing company. Radiocrafts’ standard RF modules provide compact, easy-to-use, low cost, low power and high performance RF solutions for a large number of wireless applications using license-free ISM bands. Using modules, OEM manufacturers without RF design knowledge can easily add wireless technology into their design, reducing time-to-market, cost of design, test and compliance approvals. Radiocrafts also offers custom and application specific product development, supporting customers from initial project ideas to volume product delivery. www.radiocrafts.com

About Asvito Communication

Asvito Communication develops advanced software solutions for embedded and industrial markets, like GSM/GPRS/EDGE gateways and custom Open AT® software for the Fastrack Supreme modems, USB drivers and general software for embedded controllers.

www.asvito.no

Wavecom – the wireless M2M experts

Wavecom is a leading provider of embedded wireless technology for M2M (machine-to-machine) communication. We provide a range of GSM/GPRS, CDMA, EDGE and 3G Wireless CPUs; programmable processors which also act as wireless modules or wireless modems. These are backed by a C and Lua-based cellular wireless software suite which includes a real-time operating system (RTOS), a software development environment based on Eclipse™, and several Plug-Ins (GPS, TCP/IP, security, Bluetooth™, Lua script and more). We also offer a wide range of professional and operated services. Our solutions are used for automotive telematics, smart metering, fleet management, GSM/GPS/satellite tracking, wireless alarms, wireless POS (point of sales), WLL (fixed voice), remote monitoring and many other M2M applications.

Founded in 1993 and headquartered near Paris, France, Wavecom has subsidiaries in Hong Kong (PRC), Research Triangle Park, NC (USA), São Paulo (Brazil), Farnborough (UK) and Munich (Germany). Wavecom is publicly traded on Euronext Paris’ Eurolist in France (AVM) and on the NASDAQ exchange in the U.S. (WVCM).
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Wavecom Announces World's First ATEX Approved GSM/GPRS... Reply with quote

Press release: 19.09.08 Wavecom Announces World's First ATEX Approved GSM/GPRS Wireless Microprocessor®
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Faster time to market for gas meters, petroleum monitoring systems and other devices operating in potentially explosive atmospheres
Issy-les-Moulineaux, France - September 19, 2008
The Wavecom Group today announced the availability of the WMP120 Wireless Microprocessor®, the world's first ATEX-approved GSM/GPRS solution for wireless machine-to-machine communication. The unique offering will greatly reduce time to market for developers and integrators of smart metering solutions and other devices operating in potentially explosive environments.

ATEX (ATmosphere EXplosive) is the European Directive for certifying products for use in environments where there may be a risk of explosions from exposure to volatile chemicals, liquids or gases. The WMP120 is certified for ATEX equipment category 1 and 3, which allows its use in zone 0, 1 and 2.

The WMP120 offers Wavecom customers unique advantages in terms of scalability and system cost. The same GSM/GPRS platform can be used for both gas meters and metering gateways, with a common software architecture. On the meter, a WMP120 can simply be added to an existing sensor part and used as a GSM/GPRS data logger. On the gateway, a 100% software and hardware compatible WMP100 can manage network technologies such as ZigBee, proprietary RF or PLC in addition to the GSM/GPRS communication.

By integrating the WMP120, Wavecom customers can speed the certification process for the final product: The main component of a GSM/GPRS-enabled meter is already ATEX certified in its typical environment, and there is no need for an in-depth ATEX design analysis of the GSM/GPRS part. Furthermore, thanks to the WMP120, existing smart meter designs can be adapted for use in potentially explosive atmospheres without major changes.

Commenting on the launch, Philippe Guillemette, CTO & VP Marketing of Wavecom, said: "ATEX certification is another Wavecom innovation which will facilitate the creation and introduction of new products and business processes, and we are confident that those of our customers which produce wireless-enabled equipment for hazardous environments will be eager to adopt the WMP120."

Claude Yonnet, CEO of Technolog, a market leader in the provision of smart metering solutions, added: "We are continually looking for new ways to improve our product designs. The availability of the GSM engine with ATEX component approval presents a number of potential benefits. In particular, the design process and ATEX certification of our gas AMR products should become more efficient".

Emmanuel Van Dillen, ATEX Auditor of the Notified Body LCIE Bureau Veritas, added: "ATEX is not only about product certification, but also about the quality processes applied across the organization. Wavecom has an excellent quality approach, and we are happy to deliver the ATEX Quality Notification certificate which will make ATEX certification quicker and easier for Wavecom's customers."

WMP120 provides ATEX certification in addition to all of the benefits of the current high running WMP100 Wireless Microprocessor®. It can operate as a smart modem, as a shared processor with a host CPU, or as a standalone CPU natively executing the customer application. It supports three programming models: host AT commands, standard C executable and Lua scripting. It also supports the Open AT® real-time operating system and the full range of Open AT® Plug-Ins including Internet, Security and GPS in addition to the IDS (Intelligent Device Services) scalable platform for securely delivering upgrades and diagnostics over-the-air.

WMP100 and WMP150 (automotive version) are already in use by more than 100 large global customers, in applications ranging from automotive and smart metering to security, asset tracking, wireless local loop and more.

WMP120 is available to order now, for delivery commencing late October 2008. To find out more, visit our stand number H03 at Metering Europe in Amsterdam, The Netherlands (21-23 September 2008), or see www.wavecom.com/wmp120.

Wavecom – the wireless M2M experts

Wavecom is a leading provider of embedded wireless technology for M2M (machine-to-machine) communication. We provide a range of GSM/GPRS, CDMA, EDGE and 3G Wireless CPUs; programmable processors which also act as wireless modules or wireless modems. These are backed by a C and Lua-based cellular wireless software suite which includes a real-time operating system (RTOS), a software development environment based on Eclipse™, and several Plug-Ins (GPS, TCP/IP, security, Bluetooth™, Lua script and more). We also offer a wide range of professional and operated services. Our solutions are used for automotive telematics, smart metering, fleet management, GSM/GPS/satellite tracking, wireless alarms, wireless POS (point of sales), WLL (fixed voice), remote monitoring and many other M2M applications.

Founded in 1993 and headquartered near Paris, France, Wavecom has subsidiaries in Hong Kong (PRC), Research Triangle Park, NC (USA), São Paulo (Brazil), Farnborough (UK) and Munich (Germany). Wavecom is publicly traded on Euronext Paris’ Eurolist in France (AVM) and on the NASDAQ exchange in the U.S. (WVCM).

http://www.wavecom.com
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Pepcom’s Holiday Spectacular! Press Event in NY This Sept Reply with quote

Press release: 19.09.08 Pepcom’s Holiday Spectacular! Press Event in NY This September; 80+ Tech Companies to Show off Their Latest Products of the Season Pepcom's Holiday Spectacular @ New York

DELRAY BEACH, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pepcom, Inc. is gearing up for a Mexican fiesta as it hosts its annual Holiday Spectacular! media event on September 18th in New York City. Hundreds of New York’s top press and analysts will preview the holiday season’s newest high-tech products while enjoying some Mexican fare, and of course margaritas.

Media guests will be given live demos of the products and services showcased. The participating companies include 3M Privacy Filters, ASUS, Audiovox, Avenues in Leather, Belkin, Black and Decker, Blackberry, Bluetooth SIG, Buffalo Technology, Canon, CatGenie, CEIVA, Cucku, DeLorme, Denon, Duracell, Energizer, EWOO, Expresso Fitness, Eye-Fi, FLIR Systems, Fujifilm, Gyration, HP, IACcap, iolo Technologies, Jawbone, Kensington, Kingston Technology, Kodak, Lenovo, Lexar Media, Logitech, Magellan, magicJack, Memeo, Memorex, Motorola, Navigon, Nikon, Npower, Nyko, Office Depot, Palm, Parrot, Peak Products, Pentax, Pioneer, Plantronics, PriceGrabber, RealNetworks, Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation, RedTag, Samsung Consumer Electronics, Samsung Electronics Digital Imaging, Samsung Mobile, Sanyo, ScanCafe, Seagate, SentrySafe, Shutterfly, Skype, Smilebooks, Sony Electronics, SRS Labs, Symantec, TDK Life on Record, The Neat Company, TomTom, Ubisoft, Virgin Mobile, V-Moda, VTech, Vuzix, Western Digital, WiQuest, WowWee, XtremeMac and Yahoo! Mobile.

“Holiday Spectacular! is a great opportunity for New York’s top journalists to preview the latest innovations for the upcoming holiday season,” said Chris O’Malley, a Pepcom partner. “This year’s ‘Holiday Fiesta’ theme will put everyone in the spirit of the season, and provide a welcome respite from summer.”

Holiday Spectacular! will welcome a wide range of journalists and analysts from various media outlets. Some of the press who attended recent Pepcom events include ABC, BusinessWeek, CBS, CNN, Consumer Reports, eWeek, Forbes, Fortune, Gartner Dataquest, IDC, Maxim, Woman’s Day, MTV, New York Times, Newsweek, PC Magazine, PC World, Rolling Stone, SELF, USA Today and The Wall Street Journal.

Pepcom’s next two events after Holiday Spectacular! are AutoFocus in Las Vegas on Nov. 4th, and DigitalFocus: Wine, Dine & Demo in New York on Nov. 20th. Interested companies should contact either Jen Ferency at 561-278-5094 (jen@pepcom.com) or Jon Pepper at 212-355-6326 (jon@pepcom.com).

About Pepcom

Pepcom® Inc., based in Delray Beach, FL, is the leader in technology showcase events. Each event joins the world's top technology companies with the most influential press and analysts. Pepcom’s showcases include DigitalFocus®, MobileFocus®, eFocus®, AutoFocus®, Digital Experience!®, and Holiday Spectacular!®. For more information, visit www.pepcom.com.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Internet-Connected Consumer Electronics Go Mobile Reply with quote

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Press release: 19.09.08 Internet-Connected Consumer Electronics Go Mobile: ABI Research Launches New Research Service to Help Clarify a Nascent Market

NEW YORK - September 19, 2008 -
Ultra-mobile devices – UMPCs, netbooks, and mobile Internet devices – and consumer electronics devices such as game devices, portable media players, digital cameras and camcorders, and connected navigation devices are increasingly connecting to the Internet over cellular networks. This trend is still in its infancy, and will grow strongly over the next few years. To help the stakeholders in this market navigate these uncharted waters, ABI Research has launched a “MIDs and Mobile CE Research Service.”

“Ultra-mobile devices are in a state of flux,” says principal analyst Philip Solis. “Underlying platforms are still being developed and refined, device manufacturers from the PC, CE, and mobile device worlds are jumping into this market, and mobile operators are struggling to figure out issues such as subsidization, service pricing, and product distribution.”

One of the first topics to address is the looming battle between two processor camps. Ultra-mobile devices can operate on x86-based processors such as Intel’s Atom, Via’s products, or on a probable offering from AMD; these chips are competing against ARM processors, either from ARM itself or from its licensees including industry giants such as Texas Instruments, Qualcomm, and eventually Ericsson, among others. The new Research Service will track this competition as it unfolds.

The Service includes a Market Data product that sizes the market and provides shipments and revenue forecasts for UMPCs (ultra-mobile PCs), netbooks, and MIDs, segmented by region, platform design, operating system and other parameters.

This Market Data will be expanded to include mobile consumer electronics in the form of gaming devices, portable media players, imaging devices, and connected PNDs.

The Service will examine common platforms and assess which will fare better in particular device types. It includes full-length Research Reports and shorter Research Briefs on specific topics of interest, and in the near future will offer ABI Vendor Matrices, which evaluate vendors on important innovation and implementation parameters.

As this very new market evolves, vendors, investors and retailers need cogent analysis of its emerging trends, backed by the best and most current data available. To learn more, please visit the “MIDs and Mobile CE Research Service” http://www.abiresearch.com/products/service/MIDS_and_Mobile_CE

ABI Research is a leading market research firm focused on the impact of emerging technologies on global consumer and business markets. Utilizing a unique blend of market intelligence, primary research, and expert assessment from its worldwide team of industry analysts, ABI Research assists hundreds of clients each year with their strategic growth initiatives. For information, visit www.abiresearch.com
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Picocells and Femtocells to Be Part of Initial LTE... Reply with quote

Press release: 19.09.08 Picocells and Femtocells to Be Part of Initial LTE Architecture

NEW YORK - September 19, 2008 - It is likely that femtocells and picocells will form an integrated part of the initial rollouts of LTE (Long Term Evolution) networks, say analysts at ABI Research.

These cellular mini-base stations, which offer improved wireless coverage indoors, have been generating considerable interest in mobile wireless markets and according to senior analyst Nadine Manjaro, LTE deployment is expected to boost shipments and revenues. “In most parts of the world, LTE will be deployed using higher frequency bands. Higher frequencies penetrate structures less effectively than low frequencies, so femtocells and picocells offer an attractive way to compensate for lower indoor signal strength and provide LTE’s touted bandwidth. Our forecasts show an upswing in femtocell and picocell penetration that coincides with the expected LTE deployment timeframe.”

In Europe and other regions, LTE will operate in the 2.6 GHz band, although in the US it will largely be found in 700 MHz range, and in China TD-LTE will be most likely be deployed in the 1880-1920 MHz and 2010-2025 MHz MHz bands, so the need for femtocells may be considered less pressing in those areas.

In contrast to other 3G technologies which preceded the introduction of femtocells, when LTE arrives these products will have been available for some time, and will be included in the original planned LTE architecture. “We will see some macro network deployment of LTE,” says Manjaro, “but not to the same extent that we saw with previous technologies. I think a large portion of it will deployed via femto and picocells alone, with macro deployments following later.”

Some observers even suggest that all LTE deployments will initially use femtocells alone.

Many manufacturers such as Alcatel-Lucent and Motorola are supporting a new interface – “Iu-h” – in the LTE architecture, which incorporates femtocells and femto gateways. Others such as picoChip, mimoON and Agilent are partnering on femtocell design and testing with LTE architecture.

ABI Research’s study “Long Term Evolution (LTE)” charts the LTE timeline, operators’ strategies, and migration plans. It discusses IPR, backhaul, and security, includes forecasts for subscribers, base stations and femtocells, and lists planned LTE trials and deployments.

It forms part of the firm’s Mobile Networks Research Service.

ABI Research is a leading market research firm focused on the impact of emerging technologies on global consumer and business markets. Utilizing a unique blend of market intelligence, primary research, and expert assessment from its worldwide team of industry analysts, ABI Research assists hundreds of clients each year with their strategic growth initiatives. For information, visit www.abiresearch.com
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: NAVIGON Leads in Product Design Reply with quote

Press release: 22.09.08 NAVIGON Leads in Product Design

Next generation 7210 and 8110 devices achieve prestigious red dot and EISA awards

London, 22 September 2008 – NAVIGON AG, a leading provider of navigation products and software solutions, today announced that it has been doubly honoured for its product design ability. The gaining of both a prestigious international red dot design award and an EISA (European Imaging and Sound Association) award, positions NAVIGON as leading the way in the design of satellite navigation devices.

“These awards are a real seal of quality and testimony to our design leadership,” says Peter Blampied, Country Manager UK & Ireland, NAVIGON.

The red dot product design 2008 award was presented to the NAVIGON 7210 for its “clear, reduced and finely shaped design” that “together with a matching bracket … creates a formal unit and appears to hover elegantly above the dashboard.” (www.red-dot.de).

With more than 10,000 submissions from 60 countries, the international red dot design award ranks among the largest and most famous design competitions in the world. The international jury, made up of renowned designers and design experts, reviews and evaluates entries according to innovation, functionality and quality. Awards reflect the best in design and winning products are put before the public in the red dot design museum. At www.red-dot.de, the NAVIGON 7210 was given the following description:

“An intuitive mounting system allows the user to connect bracket and device single-handedly with a slight tilting motion. The device, made out of valuable materials such as scratch-resistant acrylic glass, finely lacquered surfaces and connecting elements made of high-strength synthetics, has an extra large, clean and high-contrast 4.3” flat touch display in the easily readable 16:9 format, as well as several other innovative functions designed to meet the expectations of a demanding target group.”

Also in the 2008 red dot product design awards, the NAVIGON 8110 was presented with an honourable mention: “With materials such as brushed stainless steel and varnished surfaces, the easy-to-use and highly functional device sets aesthetic accents.“

The NAVIGON 8110 was also awarded European Portable Navigation Device 2008-2009 in the anual EISA Awards. EISA, the worlds most prestigious multimedia magazines association, is formed by the association of 50 special interest magazines from 19 European countries. Its internationally renown European EISA Awards are presented each year by the editors-in-chief from all EISA member magazines to products analyzed in their publications during the past year. At http://www.eisa.eu/eisa/awards/2008-2009 the NAVIGON 8110 is described as: “setting new standards for navigation systems with its multiple innovations.

“Detailed European maps are rendered with real 3D-landscapes, the Lane Assistant Pro function highlights which lane leads to the desired direction, while a Reality View Pro shows motorway junctions and exits in a very realistic manner. Spoken guidance is also excellent since its text-to-speech converter indicates not only which direction but also which street name to follow. Better still, this device not only talks, but also listens: its reliable voice recognition system allows drivers to enter destinations simply by speaking the name of a city, street and house number. With an integrated MP3 player, picture viewer, Bluetooth handsfree and FM transmitter radio, the Navigon 8110 is a cutting edge multimedia product.“

About NAVIGON:

NAVIGON AG is one of the world’s leading innovators of high-quality navigation devices standing for outstanding technology in attractive lines. In addition, the company offers GPS software solutions for well-known electronic brands as well as automotive components for driver assistance systems. Founded in 1991, NAVIGON employs a total staff of more than 400 and is represented by its own offices in Asia, Europe and North America. – NAVIGON. And the world is yours.

For general informational visit www.navigon.com
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Moblin to Ship the Lion’s Share of Linux Mobile Internet Dev Reply with quote

Press release: Moblin to Ship the Lion’s Share of Linux Mobile Internet Device Operating Systems

LONDON - September 23, 2008 -
The Mobile Internet Device (MID) market is shaping up as a very promising greenfield opportunity for mobile operating system vendors to find new outlets for their products. Linux will be an important part of this market from the start and will be championed by solutions such as Moblin and Maemo. ABI Research expects that by 2013, 86 million Linux-enabled MID products will ship per annum, with Moblin taking 42% of the market.

According to vice president Stuart Carlaw, “Although custom-designed solutions such as Moblin and Maemo will take large shares in the Mobile Internet Device market, there will also be opportunities for LiMo as well as PC-based Linux OSs.”

He goes on to say, “The essential message here is that there is room for multiple success stories. One of the chief reasons for the projected growth of Moblin is that the tight alignment between hardware and software will be an incredibly important factor in this market. Moblin’s market share will be tightly aligned to the share of the market that Intel’s Atom solution gains.”

A new Research Brief from ABI Research has found that when it comes to MIDs, Linux will not be the only game in town but will face stiff competition from Windows, in the form of Vista, XP and also CE-based solutions.

“Open Source Operating Systems in Mobile Internet Devices” http://www.abiresearch.com/products/research_brief/Mobile_Devices_Market_Update/126 explores the operating system landscape that will characterize the MID market. It assesses a number of OS offerings, including Moblin, Maemo, and LiMo, as well as the organizations that stand behind them.

This Brief is a component two of the firm’s Research Services, Mobile Devices, and MIDs and Mobile CE, which also include other Research Briefs, full-length Research Reports, Market Data, an Online Database, ABI Insights, ABI Vendor Matrices, and analyst inquiry support.

RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Ericsson Tops New Mobile Network Infrastructure Vendor... Reply with quote

Press release: Ericsson Tops New Mobile Network Infrastructure Vendor Matrix Ranking

NEW YORK - September 23, 2008 -
Ericsson has been ranked at the top of the latest Vendor Matrix released by ABI Research.

Nokia Siemens Networks and Alcatel-Lucent claimed the second and third spots in the company’s new evaluation of worldwide mobile network infrastructure vendors.

The Vendor Matrix is an analytical tool developed by ABI Research to provide a clear understanding of vendors’ positions in specific markets. Vendors are assessed on the important parameters of “innovation” and “implementation” across several criteria unique to each vendor matrix.

“Ericsson is a global leader in GSM and HSPA infrastructure sales and deployments,” says senior analyst Nadine Manjaro. “The company leads in managed services, commercial IMS deployments and other key areas. It has developed innovations in base station technology, and the company invests about $5 billion annually in R&D.”

Runner-up Nokia Siemens Networks has a diverse product range and geographically distributed revenues. The firm has strong product portfolio, and has also achieved significant innovations in its I-HSPA platform and Flexi-base station product lines.

Alcatel-Lucent is ranked third overall. The company is third in overall revenue, second in IMS and has a strong managed services segment with over 23,000 employees.

For this particular matrix, under "innovation," ABI Research examined 2007 R&D spending, the number of employees assigned to R&D, the number of submitted and approved patents, and the firms’ contribution to standards development. Additional criteria included innovations in the development of energy optimized solutions, the vendors’ low CO2 emission products, and their development of alternative energy and multi-technology solutions, and the development and distribution of a 4G solutions.

Under "implementation," ABI Research scrutinized the following criteria: overall revenue, gross margins, product diversity, revenue distribution by geography, managed services, number of Tier 1 operator customers, and shipments and sales.

To view a list of the “top ten” firms in this Vendor Matrix, please visit “Mobile Network Infrastructure Vendor Matrix” http://www.abiresearch.com/products/vendor_matrix/Mobile_Networks_Vendor_Matrix. Registration on the ABI Research website (free) is required. Access to the rankings and profiles of all companies surveyed is available to clients of ABI Research.

This Vendor Matrix forms part of ABI Research’s Mobile Networks Research Service. For a list of all ABI Research Vendor Matrices, please visit The ABI Research Vendor Matrix.

RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: T-Mobile Announces First Android-Based Phone - Will It Fool Reply with quote

Press release: T-Mobile Announces First Android-Based Phone - Will It Fool Everyone? Oyster Bay, NY - Sept 23, 2008

Journalists and other representatives of the media are invited to contact ABI Research to learn more about this significant development and to discuss its implications with our industry analysts.

Whether to buy a smartphone or a basic phone is a conscious decision for most subscribers when shopping for a new model. However that may soon be changing. According to ABI Research director Kevin Burden, "Today's unveiling of the T-Mobile G1, the first mobile phone based on the Android platform from the Google-spawned Open Handset Alliance (OHA), may be the beginning of a significant movement towards a situation in which a majority of mobile phones will run a high-level operating system, rather than the variety of real-time operating systems currently powering more than 85% of the world's mobile phones."

If Google's intentions behind Android and the formation of the OHA are indeed about leading the industry towards common standards that halt further fragmentation so that its services have a broad base to work on, its emphasis will be on the high-volume feature phone market rather than pitting the G1 against lower-volume smartphones that offer similar functionality.

Since users buy mobile phones not operating systems, the ultimate goal of the OHA is that users will eventually buy an Android-based phone without necessarily intending to buy a software-heavy handset. Marketing based on capabilities has brought the smartphone market to less than 15% of worldwide handset sales. Burden concludes, "If Android is going to pay off for Google and OHA, subscribers will need to start buying smartphones without fully realizing what they just purchased."

For more information about ABI Research visit http://www.abiresearch.com
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Mobile Marketing Association Membership Crosses 700 Reply with quote

Press release: Mobile Marketing Association Membership Crosses 700

Mobile Marketing Industry Growth Helps to Drive Membership in All Regions

New York; London, UK; Singapore and Sao Paulo, 23 September 2008 – The Mobile Marketing Association (MMA) (www.mmaglobal.com) today announced that its global membership has exceeded 700, comprised of companies throughout the mobile marketing ecosystem that are dedicated to the proliferation of mobile marketing across Europe, North America, Middle East & Africa (MEA) , Asia Pacific (APAC) and Latin America (LATAM).

“Adoption of the mobile channel continues, at rapid pace, across the globe,” said Laura Marriott, president of the MMA. “The MMA continues to play a pivotal role in facilitating market entry and mobile channel growth worldwide both for the overall industry as well as for our membership. We appreciate the continued leadership from our membership in helping to build a healthy and sustainable industry world-wide.”

Building on the association’s commitment to education, the MMA recently announced the availability of new white papers, including papers on mobile applications and mobile search. In addition, the MMA has made headway on the establishment of guidelines and best practices to simplify market entry in mobile marketing, recently asking for public feedback on its Bluetooth Marketing Guidelines in Europe and its Global Mobile Advertising guidelines.

The latest MMA member companies include:

Admoda / Adultmoda
Agency.com
Apptera, Inc.
Avea Iletisim Hizimetleri A.S.
BLST MARKETING INC./DBA: AZURE MEDIA
BrightShare Ltd.
Distribuidora Panabal, S.A.
Fishbowl
Gigafone Asia Pacific Pte Ltd,
Gumiyo
Hands Empreendimentos LTDA
Incentivated
KADOINK
Mobile Advertising Solution, MAS. Ltd.
Mobile TeleSystems OJSC
Mobility Marketing Pvt. Ltd.
Mogreet, Inc.
More Mobile Relations
Nowcasting International Ltd.
Oorja Mobile Services Pvt. Ltd.
Orange NSM
PBMS Soluceos Moveis em Inf. LTDA
RingCo
SkyFire Labs, Inc.
Somo Enterprises, Inc.
SoundBite Communications
VIVO S.A.
Vodacom Pty. Ltd.
Yodel Digital Ltd.
Zed Worldwide

A complete listing of all MMA members can be found at www.mmaglobal.com. To become a member, please contact membership@mmaglobal.com. The MMA is hosting its annual Mobile Marketing Forum and Award Ceremony November 13 in San Diego. More information can be found at http://www.mobilemarketingforum.com/?q=node/535.

About the Mobile Marketing Association (MMA)

The Mobile Marketing Association (MMA) is the premier global non-profit trade association established to lead the growth of mobile marketing and its associated technologies. The MMA is an action-oriented organization designed to clear obstacles to market development, establish mobile media guidelines and best practices for sustainable growth, and evangelize the use of the mobile channel. The more than 700 member companies, representing over forty countries around the globe, include all members of the mobile media ecosystem. The Mobile Marketing Association’s global headquarters are located in the United States and it has regional chapters including North America (NA), Europe, Latin America (LATAM), Middle East & Africa (MEA) and Asia Pacific (APAC) branches. For more information, please visit www.mmaglobal.com.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: 200 Million Ultra-mobile Devices to Ship in 2013 Reply with quote

Press release: 200 Million Ultra-mobile Devices to Ship in 2013

NEW YORK - September 24, 2008 - From a virtual “standing start” of just 10 million units in 2008, shipments of ultra-mobile devices (UMDs — the umbrella term for ultra-mobile PCs, netbooks and Mobile Internet Devices) are expected to exceed 200 million in 2013.

According to ABI Research principal analyst Philip Solis, “The UMD market will still be small compared to the wireless handset market, but with a forecast revenue of nearly US$27 billion in 2013, it will certainly be significant.”

While netbooks account for about 90% of today’s UMD market, they will fall to a distant second place by 2013, while MID (Mobile Internet Device) shipments surge ahead to take nearly 68% of the market, with Ultra-mobile PCs (UMPCs) remaining a niche category.

To put the UMD market forecasts into perspective, the 2013 estimate of 200 million shipped devices is roughly the anticipated size of the worldwide laptop PC market.

“As this market enters its rapid growth phase and starts to evolve,” Solis continues, “we will see considerable experimentation with different distribution channels: some will sell direct from the manufacturer, some via retail outlets, and some through mobile operators who will subsidize them to encourage new data plan subscriptions.”

A new study from ABI Research, “Mobile Internet Devices and UMPCs” http://www.abiresearch.com/products/market_research/Mobile_Internet_Devices_and_UMPCs analyzes the drivers and barriers for UMDs across the ecosystem. It examines the issues that will shape this market, including the contest between x86-based processors and ARM-based processors, distribution and subsidization, device definitions, and the effect of cellular voice-enabled MIDs. It includes detailed, segmented market forecasts through 2013.

This report forms part of ABI Research’s MIDs and Mobile CE Research Service, which also includes Research Briefs, Market Data, ABI Vendor Matrices, ABI Insights, and analyst inquiry support.

RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Over 70 expert speakers confirmed at AfricaCom 2008 Reply with quote

Press release: Over 70 expert speakers confirmed at AfricaCom 2008, the continent’s annual event for telecommunications professionals

Now in its 11th year, AfricaCom is growing even bigger than in previous years to cover all the aspects of Africa’s dynamic communications markets and ecosystems. Evolved from GSM Africa last year to encompass the whole sector in a technologically-neutral way, the event is expected to gather over 3500 thought leaders and executives from the continent’s leading operators (GSM, CDMA, fixed, wireless), ISPs, satellite operators, regulators, wholesale carriers, industry analysts and consultants, as well as international telecoms solutions vendors. After years of growth reflecting that of the market, the event will host an exhibition of 180 stands showcasing the latest solutions from the sector, co-located with a high-level, agenda-setting conference.

Over two days, the conference itself will combine a mix of strategic keynotes, specialised streams and interactive sessions to answer the participants’ business and networking needs. The leaders of Africa’s key communications stakeholders will give their views on how the market is evolving and on strategies to maximise its growth. Tim Lowry, MTN Group’s Vice-President for Southern and Eastern Africa region, will open the conference with an overview of the group’s strategy as one of the leaders of the markets. His views will be balanced by the input of other major operators, from established African ones such as Vodacom (represented by Chief Regulatory and Government Relations Officer Snakes Nyokank, and another senior representative to be announced), international groups extending their footprint in the region (such as Orange, represented by EVP Marc Rennard, and Essar Communications Holdings, represented by new CEO - Africa Michael P Foley), groups specialising on internet services (Alink Telecom International, with CEO Patrick Kouame), or new entrants such as Hits Africa (represented by Chairman Dr Sultan Bahabri). More local operators will share their experiences of growing services in specific market conditions, with Michael Joseph of Safaricom (Kenya ), Jose do Santos of Vodacom (Mozambique), Miguel Geraldes of MTC (Namibia), Abdikarim M. Eid of Telesom (Somalia), François Nze of Moov (Niger), Peter Boyd of Virgin Mobile (South Africa), Joe Kimani of Flashcom (Kenya) and many more. In addition, presentations from infrastructure and solutions vendors will give participants an update on technology developments to improve their businesses.

To ensure the event is not only about learning but also about meeting colleagues and potential business partners, AfricaCom includes a number of networking opportunities, from speed networking at the beginning of the conference, to networking breaks, a drinks reception (sponsored by Sicap), a gala dinner for the launch of the AfricaCom Awards, not to forget the valuable Online Networking Tool, which allows delegates to see the list of participants and get in touch with them from two weeks before the congress up to three months after.

This event is not to be missed for anyone involved in Africa’s telecommunications market. For more information on the programme, the event’s features and how to attend, please visit www.comworldseries-africa.com

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 8 of 37

Jump to: