Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Europe maps on SD card or CD?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Europe maps on SD card or CD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bukbuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Europe maps on SD card or CD? Reply with quote

Hello all

I am about to take the plunge with a Tomtom go and would welcome observations on the pros and cons of individual maps on SD cards against Maps of Europe on CD.

I will only use the unit in the UK and France and would save around £50 just buying the France SD card against the maps of europe and a further sd card. I'm struggling to find details at the moment but does anyone know what size SD card is provided with the French map and would I be able to backup the map data to my PC to reload if the SD card corrupted etc. The maps of europe come on Cd so I would always have a backup.

With a big enough SD card would it be possible to load UK and French data on the same card for an uninterupted journey into europe.

I would be grateful for any comments or experiences.
timmyo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the French and UK maps on your card I think you have to tell the TTG to switch to the other map at the appropriate time.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need the detail of the French map? The Major Roads of Europe map already on the CD that came with TTG is fairly comprehensive. Using MRE should get you from GB to France and to destination. Then switch to the French map when you arrive for the fine detail.

Even if you have GB map, MRE map and France Map on the same SD card, they do not link. You will have to change the map in the preferences. This will select just that map and you will need to re-enter a destination.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French maps are 253Mb so will probably come on a 256Mb card. You can buy a 512 Card and fit all the UK, French and MRE maps on there, and still have tons of space spare for POIs or more maps.

I have UK, Portugal and MRE installed on a 256 Mb card with no problems. You will have a complete set of favorites and POIs for each map region, so it may mean additional management, but then again when you are in France you are not interested in UK Speed Cameras.
bukbuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Availability Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. More to think about!

Anyone know about actual availability of the SD cards? One or two places are offering for sale but with none immediately available.
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you're getting a special price for ordering the Europe Maps with TTG, I would wait and see if the included Major Roads of Europe is good enough for you.

I've not driven them yet. But I've looked at them and the MRE map has a lot of detail. I would not need a special map of Germany for finding a couple of small villages I go to. It has the main village streets on it, but not the side streets.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: