Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom go.....dont do it
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom go.....dont do it
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: tom tom crap Reply with quote

yesterday i was working on loan to another area(bt engineer) so thought i would just see how tomtom go would do....well it did get me to all my jobs......but still had to keep looking at the map for the incorrect instructions and in true tomtom style it tried to take me down a footpath....this superb little box always thinks of somthink new to amaze me
cheers
Rob
cobra148
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
garmin street pilote III kicks this mothers a**s
I have seen the tomtom go in action , in my mates car,
what a laugh.
He has now returned it to pc world saying it was faulty, he lied (or did he)
so he could get a full refund .

And he has purchased a garmin unit that is better than my pilot III,that uses cf cards instead of my garmin type data card,(the rat).

But seriously, garmin in car gps is far superior to TTgo, and as long as
you obtain the free upgrade anual map cds from garmin...then your
good to go.

I have been all over europe in my motorhome, and only get
sent down a narrow road now and again... but never get false
no sense instructions from the pilot III.(Straight across)would be straight
across, and no turn right or lefts on straight roads iether.
You will get bear right or left if the roads have obvious bends , but
thats it.

I usually when seeing a narrow road entrance, now ignore the
turn command given by the garmin..this is because whatever
gps unit you happen to have, the mapping data available today
does not and cannot take into account a large vehicle.
This is acceptable for me at this time, as the makers need time to
improve this drawback with large vehicles.

But yes rob..its not acceptable to be sold a unit that, relies on you
taking paper map books of god knows what thickness with you
at all times.
You wouldnt buy a laptop and then take the desktop
in the car with you would you ?. Nor would they (the manufacturers)
sell the laptop on the basis that you need to have the desktop
with you.
The others are wrong...the in car gps was supposed to do away
with the need for maps(at least the advertising indicates this)to be
the case.
But i do think tomtom go could get better though..as this seems like
a rush attempt to get up where the bigger boys are,with obvious
mistakes in programming being present.

So maybe time will tell,if TTg will improve or go down the pan,
also maybe if they reply to disgruntled customers emails, they
may stand a chance of playing with the big boys a little longer.

regards.
a garmin user (why get lost - when there is a way to be guided)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What everyone has to remember is there are pro's and con's to every product. Garmin use a better quality of data (perceived) for UK using NAVTEQ use as opposed to TomTom using TeleAtlas which has always been a long known problem in searching for locations.

TomTom have a better looking interface and better looking maps over say the Garmin Street Pilots. Every package has pro's and con's, there's also the "is this product right for me ?". Some people may prefer minor road routing, some major road routing, some being able to tweak the difference between the two (Navman).

Remember, although a product may be the best for YOU, it may NOT be the best for SOMEONE ELSE!

Please do bear this in mind when people do start slagging off other products that there is no one product that necessarily comes out on top, and that what I rate as top may not be what Darren, Mike or Lutz may write as top, so that's why we split reviews amongst the team to give a varied view point. :D
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

Please do bear this in mind when people do start slagging off other products that there is no one product that necessarily comes out on top, and that what I rate as top may not be what Darren, Mike or Lutz may write as top, so that's why we split reviews amongst the team to give a varied view point. :D

What i'de like to know is "What did they do Before GPS.

Stop every 5 minutes, and read paper street maps, they don't talk to you, but you found your destination. Why, because the Driver had the final word in which direction he pointed the vehicle.

GPS, no matter what make, is a "Navigation AID" and users should remember, Until they get a 100% accurate map and voice directions, their will be errors, That's where the DRIVER comes in, to over-rule the instruction.
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: tomtom go Reply with quote

i think people are missing my point.......i agree tomtom go will get you there it is the fact the maps are worse than on tomtom 2 on my pda....this should not be the case the software issues are a problem but i can see why they have cut down on them.....but as i said before trying to send people down one way streets and across dual carriageways with a barrier in the middle is not acceptable...if it was their first product i would have thought it was their first go and the maps would get better but is is not....why are the maps worse now than tt2
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the GO for 6 weeks now. I have have experienced none of the problems discussed here. I can confidently say that it has been near faultless and much better than my girlfriend. I went from Sheffield to the centre of Brighton without any problems. There seems to be a maze of streets and various one way systems in Brighton but it took me right to the door of my destination. I haven't had a sat nav system before GO so I can't comment on different systems, but I wouldn't swap my GO for anything.
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: tomtom go Reply with quote

Jammy
just my point if its your first sat nav then yes i think you will enjoy the benefits over map reading....but all im saying if you have used tomtom before the maps are more detailed but the routing of them is worse...i dont see how they can make it worse, if tomtom 2 never told me to turn right across a dual carriagway with a barrier that has been there for 20 years plus i would not expect tomtom go to do it.....but it does
Cheers
Rob
buckman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally have had no problems as such but (then again) i have had some odd instructions..

I have 4.40 and have had to disable ASN until its fixed as it doesnt work...!!

Also i agree with the maps being wrong, as i tried friends in Watford, Dorset, North Yorkshire and NONE came up! Everytime i want to use GO i seem to be using Multimap on the Web to confirm exactly where im going, which i dont think was intended when buying, (and the unit being marketed) as an "all in one" Satnav product.

I have emailed TomTom about the map errors etc but no reply from this or any other niggles..

I also have planned a route about 7 miles from home towards another route. TomTom actually took me back home, and then started from there to my new destination!! 8O So i agree that TomTom just really need to listen to all these people who are using GO each day..

I assume that a brand new software update would fix most things inc ASN, as well as a new Map Update! Embarassed
Metric
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

similar.. ttgo took me up the m1 instead of m40 - 20mile longer route.. odd.. also wheres my carry case!!!
buckman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm seems like most people have had some sort of problem or other... I hope TomTom read this and get out an update ASAP! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: