Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if were on the same wavelength.

Here is what happens, I'm in Blackpool and I set the TT Go to work out a route from Newcastle to London, it will work it out, however, when I try to find an alternative route from Newcastle to London it will work it out from Blackpool to London when infact I want it to re-calculate an alternative route from Newcastle to London.

Crying or Very sad
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure if were on the same wavelength.

Here is what happens, I'm in Blackpool and I set the TT Go to work out a route from Newcastle to London, it will work it out, however, when I try to find an alternative route from Newcastle to London it will work it out from Blackpool to London when infact I want it to re-calculate an alternative route from Newcastle to London.

When you said "via" in your first post I thought you meant the "travel via" option not the "alternative route" option.
Mine does the same as yours so between us we have found out two unlikely outcomes.
Maybe your obsevation is due to it using the "current location" as shown at the bottom of the TT screen i.e. your address at Blackpool. This could be because when you tap "done" to enter the options screen of alternative route the screen goes to your last gps signal position map which is most probably your home address, and then uses that as the new starting point.
tazcab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
just to let you know the new update for the tomtom go is out now
at tomtom go web site vershion v 4.40 go and get it now Laughing
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago the "team" did a review of the software update - well worth reading. On the TT site the following is given as information and improvements. You can load your own voice files. If I remember correctly , when the team tested it, this was not available (?)
What's new or improved in TomTom GO 4.40?

Points Of Interest (POI) management:

Create your own POI category
Add locations to your own category
by using a point on the map
by specifying a location
Plug-in a POI category from other TomTom users (including from TomTom PocketPC/Palm users)
Add locations to the plugged-in category
Edit your POI category, or your plugged-in category
Modify the locations in your category
Delete locations in your category
Delete your POI category, or your plugged-in category
Delete a plugged-in category
Use your POI, or plugged-in, category in the application as build-in POI category
Enable/disable display to map browser or moving map
Search by proximity to a location and/or by name
Turn into destination, departure, via, home, favourite, other POI
Option to get a warning when you are close to a POI. The warning will be given based on the specified POI category, distance and sound.

Language and voices support:
Option to select your application in Portuguese, Norwegian or Finnish
Option to load your own (or from others) voice files for personalized navigation instructions
Other:
Brief display of a volume slider added when touching the repeat instruction area (left on the status bar) for hearing the instruction of the next maneuver
New option to use a manually specified point on the map as a via (i.e. waypoint for the calculated route)
More accurate ASN (Assisted Satellite Navigation)
Maximum brightness level of the display increased
Fix for the clock to stay more precise
Several quality changes and improvements

MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiFi,

The voice files are not related to the POIs, but to the actual navigation instructions, which is a bit of a surprise as I thought the original came with a set of voice files.

It may be that this is referring to user custom voice files I will have to investigate when I get a few minutes.
WongWongGo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: v4.40 upgrade TTG Reply with quote

Got 4.40 upgrade
Safety Camera POI works perfect; as well as several other POIs

Haven't worked out the custom sound file yet

Also got TTG carry case; tight fit but very nice.

Good day for TTG! Laughing
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Ver 4.4 Reply with quote

Hello WWG

I'm glad you got your upgrade Smile ......... was that under your own steam or did you get an email from TTG saying as a registered user, go to the website and download 4.4?

I'm a bit peed off :x they did not inform me by email that the upgrade is available; nor have I received the carry-case either!

How did you manage all that??

Cheers

TG
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what TartanGiant said.

We should all get the carry case soon.

I could not immediately see the new download on TT site but got it through their link to the 4.21 and than it says September for the 4.4
When downloading it said the card was full and it suggested removing voices (languages) which I did
WongWongGo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: v4.40 upgrade TTG Reply with quote

Hi TartanGiant:

To be quite honest I did not get any email from TomTom (I registered the day I bought TTG) I find PocketGPS forums much more helpful; which is also where I got the news of the 4.40 upgrade last night.

The TTG carry case was a complete surprise this morning (in fact from the letter bombs we had recently in the news I was somewhat dubious opening it!)...so I'm hoping they are delivering in batches; although the TTG user base I reckon is quite large it might take some time.

Well I hope you guys recieve them this week. I for one was fed up with putting my TTG in an old sock! Wink
WongWongGo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: v4.40 upgrade TTG Reply with quote

Oh forgot to mention:

I have an Arkon Screen Protector on my TTG (It is very good at reducing reflection and screen smudge protection) but I mentioned before that it does dulls the screen slightly.

With the 4.40 upgrade the contrast on TTG has been increased; and I have nocticed this. Dunno what the impact on battery life would be; but I'll test and report back...
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not related to the update...

Has anyone had a problem with intermittent sound? Sometimes it starts a voice instruction (the first of the route) and it cuts halfway through, then is silent for about half an hour. No sounds, not even when testing a voice, then it comes back again. Tapping the TTG and resets don't help.

Warrenty job?
WongWongGo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pottsy:

Even if the voice cuts off; does it still guide you visually?

Does it do it on certain routes?

And has TTG worked perfect before?

My TTG goes silent round Weybridge area; mind you the mapping in Weybridge town centre is very out of date; so the visual routing goes a bit crazy...too.

It sounds like a software bug to me...I dunno whether you can reapply the 4.20 update on it or go for the 4.40..It's worth a try.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, everything else works fine. Just no sound. Not even when I try selecting a new voice and pressing TEST. Just silence....
wez99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
I'm completely new to this, but i have had the TTG for a couple of weeks and find it an excellant tool. I have downloaded and installed the latest update and now I would like to add a speed camera facility. Could anyone spare the time to explain the procedure and the best database to use.
Sorry if I sound thick.

John
avi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the procedure to customize voice files; i.e. how we can enter reaonable mesaage for the POI rather than using the (bell) sound set of TTG.
Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 31 of 35

Jump to: