Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 70 Series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 70 Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not impressed with the What Car reviews at all Joker . How's anyone expected to make a rational decision on such two-sentence info? Eg. Voice control on Garmin and on Tomtom, but no mention of it with Navigon (and we've got a poster here somewhere who has said how good it is).

If I could earn good journalist money for this sort of old rope, I wouldn't be a retired civil servant Rolling Eyes
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Navigon 70 Series Reply with quote

Mine has been delivered but I have to wait to Saturday to test as I am currently in Kenya!
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine too but to work will have to wait till tomorrow when I'm back in the office to collect it will update when I've had a play.
Skintdad678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has just arrived. Connected to PC, made a backup and just waiting for it to charge before I try in car.
Sim card is already installed on delivery but the documentation includes an activation code for the Live services.
I took opportunity to get Fresh Maps for 2 years with an 80% discount = £16.12. Again, a discount code is available in the documentation.
Skintdad678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All working fine. I don't think it charges through usb cable on pc though.
Connected in car and Live services activated fine, everything else seems OK.
I think there is only one voice on the unit, unlike the few available on the TomTom. I cannot see anything in the menus to choose another voice - has anyone else found a way of changing voice apart from downloading and paying for more?
Have not tried driving with it yet to see if it picks up safety cameras. Does anyone know how to put the pocketgpsworld camera database on to the unit? It certainly picks up the Live traffic information easily enough.
Spent some time trying to hide the power cable in the car as best as I could.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I THINK there should be two English voices - a TTS one and a non-TTS one. One of the 'setting' switches between the two. You pay for other voices, as you say. Still trying to charge mine on the PC - it SEEMS to be charging but very slowly.

One of the other 'New Series' threads says how you put PGPSW cameras (& other POIs) on, particularly a post by jonandmarkuk - can't remember which one. Pretty straightforward IIRC, except that there is a limit of about 10,000, which is a bit less than the full PGPSW file.
Skintdad678
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David.
I am charging mine through my ipod charger. It's been on for a couple of hours now but led is still orange.
I looked everywhere for the different voice but could not see anything. No mention in pdf manual either but I will look again later.
Thanks for the heads up on the pgw cameras.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skintdad678 - yes, it DOES charge up on the PC, but it is SOOOO slow. I've just got to two bars after about a day! Reckon it's probaly 3 days, compared to 3 hours.

Once it's fully charged I'll see if there is that second voice. (EDIT - looking through the settings there is one 'announce street names'; on my 8310 this was implemented with two different voices, Heather & Susan - that's what I was gong by. See if the voice is in fact a different one, or the same but with more/less info.)

BTW the faceplate on my cradle seems out of vertical alignment, so that the satnav is tilted when mounted. Navigon warn against trying the screws as the 70 might get 'fatally damaged' - don't understand that as there are no electrical contacts, but I've sent them photos. BUT has anyone else had this, or is their faceplate properly vertical - am I just doing something wrong? (EDIT - Navigon say loosen the Allen screw slightly on back - I've done that and it's ok now. Navigon actually phoned me up with the info - that's a first!)
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Zoom Reply with quote

Is it possible to have a constantly zoomed in view when navigating, similar to the Navigon iPhone app (and similar to what Navigon units shown when using 3D in cities) on either the new 40 or 70 Premium models, as I find the standard level of zoom out is too great for my liking
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
lads2000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found any zoom option but have noticed it changes based on if you are in a built up area or not. It zooms out for non built up areas and back in again as you arrive at a town or city.

Does anybody know where the ini files is that holds the max number of pois that can be added and by changing this does it effect performance that much?

From what I have played with so far has been great. Will be giving it a proper test on Monday when travelling to bath for work.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only zoom settingI've found (but not used yet) is under Map Display/Zoom Factor, where you can set 'Smaller Map Section', 'Standard' or 'Larger Map Section'. Don't know if that might help?
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Navigon 70 Series Reply with quote

I am setting up my Navigon and downloaded the Michelin Guide but cannot install it because the memory is full! How do I install it on the memory card? should be simple but i cannot see how to do it?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Michelin download seemed to go ok automatically, michaelj2 (if 'download successful' is anything to go by!!) with some overflow to the card - looking at 'My System' in Fresh afterwards it seems to treat my memory as a whole, ie 6GB (4 flash + 2 card) showing me what was used/available out of the 6GB . What symptoms/messages did you actually get (silly, I know, but was your card right in properly?)?
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Navigon 70 Series Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I only see 4GB. The card is in correctly. I am using a MacBook. Would this make a difference?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know (I'm on XP) but I wouldn't be AT ALL surprised Confused The technical spec on the website for the 70 says
Quote:
PC system requirements

Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7, CD-ROM drive, USB port and (micro)SD / MMC card reader (recommended), Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0
A Mac user hopefully can suggest a workaround (maybe a Mac synchronisation utility is needed between the device and the PC, or an MS simulation could be set up). Alternatively Navigon may be able to advise.

I guess you still have the Michelin files on your PC from your download - one thing you COULD try (BACK UP FIRST Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil so you can Restore) is to simply copy the files to the card, if it shows up as a drive, in the hope that copying is all Fresh does for these files anyway (obviously if there's any data processing done by Fresh it won't work - but I'd be surprised by that really).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: